Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two part question:

1. Can the LED lights on Bushwacker flat fenders be replaced without removing the fender? In the install the nut had to be secured from the inside with a ratchet extension before installation...so I want to make sure if I remove the Amber light it came with that I wont be stuck with a nut rolling around inside the fender and nothing to screw the replacement into.

2. If I replace the lights with a 3 wire, could I wire the low brightness lead directly to the factory marker light and the high power lead directly to the blinker? These are the lights I purchased (in Clear) in the mail now... HD40106-3wire 4" Slim-Line Clearance Marker Light - 6 LED, 3 wire

New to the forum, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
1. Gotta take it off. I suggest getting some locking hemostats for the nut, it makes it really easy to get this job done and hemostats (non-surgical) are cheap.

2. You could wire the entire light into the stock grill light and be ok. It's such a low draw the grill light will be ok, and the side wires don't trip a CEL/MIL or anything to begin with.

If you wire them to the stock wires for the side marker you don't need a resister if you just use them as is, but there is a question about whether you need a resister for the blinking setup, and since I haven't done mine yet, I can't answer it 100% for you.

There's this writeup on tieing the lights into the front marker lights higher up in the harness for a clean look, you may consider that option too but I can't find the thread right now (it's on this forum somewhere).

Here's the general directions on the mod though with a video - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/side-marker-light-mod-with-video-207896.html

Found a bit more info and someone who tried it with the LEDs. Looks promising, better than nothing for sure.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/marker-light-turn-signal-modification-112417-5.html

posts 145 and 147

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Gotta take it off. I suggest getting some locking hemostats for the nut, it makes it really easy to get this job done and hemostats (non-surgical) are cheap.

2. You could wire the entire light into the stock grill light and be ok. It's such a low draw the grill light will be ok, and the side wires don't trip a CEL/MIL or anything to begin with.

If you wire them to the stock wires for the side marker you don't need a resister if you just use them as is, but there is a question about whether you need a resister for the blinking setup, and since I haven't done mine yet, I can't answer it 100% for you.

There's this writeup on tieing the lights into the front marker lights higher up in the harness for a clean look, you may consider that option too but I can't find the thread right now (it's on this forum somewhere).

Here's the general directions on the mod though with a video - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/side-marker-light-mod-with-video-207896.html

Found a bit more info and someone who tried it with the LEDs. Looks promising, better than nothing for sure.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/marker-light-turn-signal-modification-112417-5.html

posts 145 and 147
Thanks Lusus. I'm a little nervous about removing and reinstalling the flat fenders as I had a shop install them and don't know how difficult it will be.

At any rate, there are so many threads about people doing all sorts of crazy wiring to make their LEDs work with the blinker mod. Can't believe more people don't just buy 3 wire LEDs....you don't even have to do anything but wire them directly to the front marker wiring...or just leave the existing wiring and run the additional (3rd wire) directly to the blinker line...

This guy did something similar (granted this is only for the front blinker/marker lights): FOUND!! 3 wire LED's for grill marker/blinker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

From another site, sorry if we have rules about doing that...i'm new in these parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts