Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busted my front passenger side axle shaft last weekend Crawlin . This is the short shaft between the separator and outer shaft. It broke at the u joint and therefore will require both inner and outer shaft replacement. My question. Can I eliminate the separator feature and install a new shaft all the way to the diff. Has anyone done this and if so can you point me in the right direction as to what I need to order

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get shafts out if a tj or xj that have bigger joints. That's one of the things on my to do list. I think you have to replace some seals in the chunk if you go that route.
I need to do a little more research on that my self.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Get axle shafts from a 96 and later XJ or any TJ with a dana 30, Replace the spicer 5-297x joints with the spicer 5-760x joints. Pull the stock shafts out, remove the carrier assembly and make sure you know how the bearing retainers went in exactly. Put in the new seals in inside of the case and put it all back together again. If you have a 95 wrangler or any post 89 wrangler with ABS, then your driver side shaft already has the bigger U-Joints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Have done some research and it's the way to go for sure. Gettn parts together and will repost when complete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts