Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so, I've got a dilemma;
I have a 1993 Wrangler (I6, manual 3 inch shackle lift and 3 inch body lift)
Recently I went over a deer and it busted my transfer case open and destroyed my rear drive shaft. My transfer case, I believe is a 241J, but I cannot for the life of me find one that matches. I bought one from a guy on Ebay but had to return it because the plugs were different (both of my plugs are on the back portion of the case and his had a plug on front and back)
if anyone can help me figure out what I should even be looking for or where to find it that would be most helpful, as I'm at a loss for where to go from here.
P.S. sorry for being wordy, first post and I'm not really sure what information you all need.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Welcome to WF
Should be a 231 not a 241.... pics would help make sure.
On a side note, if you really do have a 3 inch shackle lift I strongly suggest you get rid of it.
Your shackles would be 10" long and incredibly sketchy

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Your transfer case is a 231j
You can use a 231 j off an xj or YJ or TJ
However impulse varies but easily swapable as long as mindful or early vs late tooth profile

You could also bolt on a 242j which would add full time 4wd plus all the 2wd 4wd low and 4wd high you already have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your transfer case is a 231j
You can use a 231 j off an xj or YJ or TJ
However impulse varies but easily swapable as long as mindful or early vs late tooth profile

You could also bolt on a 242j which would add full time 4wd plus all the 2wd 4wd low and 4wd high you already have

Sorry guys, you're right, it is a 231J, that's my bad.
So with the 242j it would act the same as my current transfer case ( assuming it worked) just the 4wd would act different?
and my main issue with finding 231J's is that none of them have the same plug pattern as mine, I have a four-plug vacuum line and a three-pronged electrical line.

Here are some pics of (I think ) everything important.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
A 242j has all the same positions as the 231 plus adds one more position for full time 4wd by incorporating a front to rear differential it is locked when in 4 hi or 4 low and unlocked in 4wd full time
Found in many auto granny XJs

Only jeeps with cad will have the vacuum switch installed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 242j has all the same positions as the 231 plus adds one more position for full time 4wd by incorporating a front to rear differential it is locked when in 4 hi or 4 low and unlocked in 4wd full time
Found in many auto granny XJs

Only jeeps with cad will have the vacuum switch installed

I see, awesome! I'll see if they still have the same number of splines as mine, 23. One thing I saw is that automatic transmissions say 21 splines.

What did you mean by cad? Sorry, still getting used to all I need to know about Jeeps, this being my first real car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh I understand. Well my vacuum line and plug are not damaged so I'll reuse them if I can. Thanks for the link! Very helpful, I'll see if I can find one of the other cases it says will fit.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
On a side note, if you really do have a 3 inch shackle lift I strongly suggest you get rid of it.
Your shackles would be 10" long and incredibly sketchy
I call lift shackles death stilts for a reason. The only reason I have some shackle lift is to just barely clear the military wraps.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
check Standard Transmission & Gear in Fort Worth for a rebuilt unit, or case, etc. to build yours. 800-std-tran I have dealt with Corey.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry guys, you're right, it is a 231J, that's my bad.
So with the 242j it would act the same as my current transfer case ( assuming it worked) just the 4wd would act different?
and my main issue with finding 231J's is that none of them have the same plug pattern as mine, I have a four-plug vacuum line and a three-pronged electrical line.

Here are some pics of (I think ) everything important.

Thanks for your input!
Those two plugs as you call them. The electrical contractor one is your speed sensor. The other as mentioned is a vacuum switch that controls your CAD and your 4wd light. The vacuum switch will just come out if you turn it counterclockwise. The speed sensor will come out as well, there is a fork holding it in place, but has to be clocked correctly in order to work. I can't recall the correct procedure for that at the moment, I believe it just needed to be clocked the same way it's currently installed. Hopefully someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

But both of those units will install in any 231J. So you can just swap them over.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
You could just replace the broken case half if the internals are OK, but I would assume some significant damage was done given the sad appearance of your case. I replaced a the rear case half on mine due to some damage but nothing as bad as what you've got.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey all, so, I've got a dilemma;
I have a 1993 Wrangler (I6, manual 3 inch shackle lift and 3 inch body lift)
Recently I went over a deer and it busted my transfer case open and destroyed my rear driveshaft.

Wow, I am surpprised no one jumped on this, but I have to ask, what the hell kinda deer did you run over??!! A John Deer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your input!
I ordered a 242J as you suggested, it should be here in the next week.
I'll get the plugs changed out and hopefully finding the right length driveshaft won't be a big deal.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
As long as it has the same style slip joint on rear output (early vs late) the current driveshafts should be correct length

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as it has the same style slip joint on rear output (early vs late) the current driveshafts should be correct length

well that's great, buuuut I don't have it lol. it kinda did a superman and flew off into the ditch next to me when it popped open like that. I checked the rear joint and just the clips snapped, the actual joint isn't damaged.
anyways the ditch was about 3 feet deep and full of water from the creek so there was no getting it back till the water went down and someone had nabbed it by then.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Have fun getting your t case shifter working right w that 242...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Have fun getting your t case shifter working right w that 242...
This and no np242 equipped jeep came with a central axle disconnect. Very problematic to have a cad and np242.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
As long as axle not disconnected when in full time 4wd should be fine

You only want axle disconnected in 2wd same as when you have a 231 only want axle disconnected in 2wd or perhaps neutral as in 4wd you need front axle on cad side locked inner to outer to get any spinning force on front wheels

All 242 does is add an open diff between front and rear when in full time otherwise acts same as 231
There are some variance in if front and rear output locked together in neutral depending on vintage of 231

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
242 will not have 2-4 shift on the fly w cad due to no syncros... also probably doesn't have the bushing at the back of the front output shaft

1 - 20 of 33 Posts