Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a bugs ironed out JLU now! (And I can no way afford a custom rig made for me to approximate getting its features.)

"Good luck with that one," you might fairly reply. "The bleeding edge 1st version from FCA isn't even out yet; and who knows if promised street dates will meet target."

OK--I can accept that. So now my question becomes, what's the most financially savvy way to ride a new JKU now, and then, say, get a JLU in 1.5 - 3 years, with only 1 Wrangler in my possession at any one time?

Should I lease the JKU or buy?

"Depends upon, among other things interest rates," you reply.

Normally, I'm a "buy and hold," kinda guy when it comes to vehicles. It's cheaper than leasing even if you don't get a new set of wheels every 3 years.

But then I'm told that if you ARE a "new wheels every 3 years" sought of driver, leasing may actually be the better way to go than purchase/sell/repurchase.

Then again--this is a Wrangler--which holds its value, especially for someone like me who takes care of vehicles in and out, and doesn't plan on taking any of mine off road (I know---try it once--you might change your mind.)

So what's the best strategy for being in a new JKU soon, and then swap it in some way (sell/give back to lessor on or before lease expiration) for a less than bleeding edge JLU, say in as early as 2019ish or beyond? I could conceivably write the lease off to a business.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
- Best
- New
- Soon
Choose two.

You might consider giving up the requirement for it to be new and look to run an older rig for a year or so and then sell it for most of what you paid. You might also look to assume the remaining period of someone else's lease, make the monthly for that period, and then just give it back.

If you want a new truck, then you're stuck with that new truck for some time unless you happen into something really sought after like a loaded HR/Recon/RR or similar and can make back a lot of what you spent to buy it. Odds are you still take a bit of a bath.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
My plan,,,, Bought a very nice JKUR used 2014 with the mods already done. Drive it till I decide on the JL. If the JL is a no go then I can wait till the Bronco hits. In the mean time I have a nice JK to play with and mod. Won't loose much on the JK even in 4 years, I don't drive that many miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Leasing will have a pre-determined cost for you to own a new JK while you wait. Buying a JK and selling when you get the JL is not a pre-determined cost. You may be able to buy the JK cheap and sell it for near what you paid for it, but it is hard to be sure what the market will do. I doubt the prices on used JK's will fall when the JL comes out. I actually think the prices for JK's will go up a little when the JK goes out of production (which will be after the JL goes on sale). But no one knows for sure.
One option, leasing, is a safe bet. It may not be the best option, but it is a known option at a calculated cost.
Buying is less sure, it may cost you very little to own a JK while you wait for a JL or it may cost you more than leasing. I think it will be the cheaper, better option but no one knows for sure.
Buying used is an option, but given the way JK's currently hold their value I don't think it will be the best option unless you find a used JK in good shape for well under market value.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just was in the exact same scenario. Buy new, buy used, lease new, or wait until JL. I chose buy used. I just bought a 2014 JK with 24k miles. I could have gotten a brand new one for not too much more than I paid, but I figured it would be a nice middle ground to buy lightly used until a JL comes out. Figured I would lose less on depreciation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I just was in the exact same scenario. Buy new, buy used, lease new, or wait until JL. I chose buy used. I just bought a 2014 JK with 24k miles. I could have gotten a brand new one for not too much more than I paid, but I figured it would be a nice middle ground to buy lightly used until a JL comes out. Figured I would lose less on depreciation.
:confused:

·
Registered
239 Posts
The JKUs hold their value really well. Go ahead and buy a JK and then upgrade in 2-3 years on a JL or JT

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Difference in price was $5-6k between my used one and a new order from Koons. Plus I didn't have to wait a month for the order, plus the local dealer gave me much more for my trade-in. Plus it wasnt 4 hours away. Made sense for me.
Agreed. With those factors weighed in - makes sense to me as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts