Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine and I have been arguing over whether he should buy a 2010 Rubicon used or buy an X and upgrade it to a Rubicon. Besides convenience, what are the pros/cons of upgrading it? As well as the price difference
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
The Rubicon has a lot of features that make it nice for off roading without all the work to make it that way. The price differential of what...maybe 8K makes the sport appealing. Problem is that all the pieces parts will cost that much but then you have to consider the labor to put the pieces parts on the jeep. The advantage is that you get to choose the features and quality. The bad news is that you have to work, work work at it. For some it is a labor of love. Not for me. If you have the money get the Rubi and be happy right out of the box...if you can afford it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Upgrading a Sport to a Rubicon will cost way more than buying a Rubicon. The biggest cost factors will be the D44 front axle, 4:1 gear ratio w/e-locker, and rock crawler t-case.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Upgrading to a rubicon wouldn't make much sense, but upgrading beyond a rubi probably would (ie if he plans on atomic axles, 5.13+ gearing, air lockers), since you'd be pulling off the rubi stuff anyways.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you actually plan to upgrade it to what a Rubi has, then just buy the Rubi and save yourself the money and hassle, it would cost a lot more to upgrade the X.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
^ Fully agreed with all of the above. The ONLY way upgrading from an X makes sense is if you're like me, and A. couldn't swing the financing (point of advice- with regards to credit, NEVER do a favor for a friend!!!), and B. Want to above and beyond a Rubi. Otherwise, buy a Rubicon, have a warranty, and have a nice day :) Mark W.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The first question you have to ask him is how much off-roading does he plan on doing? I would think a sport would be just fine as is for light to moderate off road adventures. With the 8k or so price difference I'd take the sport all day!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ratuna said:
The first question you have to ask him is how much off-roading does he plan on doing? I would think a sport would be just fine as is for light to moderate off road adventures. With the 8k or so price difference I'd take the sport all day!
Most people who buy rubicons arent capable enough drivers to put it to its full potential AND dont have the terrain, the X is more than enough for a novice driver and can be a monster offroad in the hands of an experienced driver. Lockers are awesome and all, but most will tell you that lockers will only get you a few inches further on tough climbs and mud, sometimes that extra couple of inches was just enough to turn a bad situation into a horrible one. I say buy the x and if you REALLY feel like you need lockers and discos, then get em later.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
^^ I went with the sahara and regretted it. Thank my luck stars I got a do-over within a year of the original purchase. I never looked back. I'm not a gear head, I'm an outdoors-man. The jeep is an appliance for me, not a second job. To the OP, you have to decide which it is: gear-head or appliance...or maybe both. Then that will help you to choose between X or Rubi.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am a noob as for as owning a Jeep goes. Though I have family members that crawl quite a bit and have enjoyed numerous trips with them. I went with the Rubi because I wanted to make sure when I go with them I am not being left behind because my jeep. Plus I am not a gear head and wanted the options to start out with. Now I can spend money on Mods such as Wheels, Bumpers, Wench etc...

So far I love it and have taken it out a few times to break her in. Glad I made the choice I did.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Get the X, buy and install: Rock Jock JK-RJIIIFS front and a Rock Jock JK-RJIIIR with and ARBs, 5.13s or 5.38s, Mini Compressor, Atlas JK 2spd 4.3:1 w/cable shifter for a tick over $10,700. Then throw your lift of choice on it and call it a day! The lift you will do anyway and you only spent an extra $2.7K for a much better drive train. Sell off the remaining parts to offset the upgrades.

Edit: Don't forget bigger tires.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
^ this is how I would go about it too.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Get the X, buy and install: Rock Jock JK-RJIIIFS front and a Rock Jock JK-RJIIIR with and ARBs, 5.13s or 5.38s, Mini Compressor, Atlas JK 2spd 4.3:1 w/cable shifter for a tick over $10,700. Then throw your lift of choice on it and call it a day! The lift you will do anyway and you only spent an extra $2.7K for a much better drive train. Sell off the remaining parts to offset the upgrades.

Edit: Don't forget bigger tires.
Not everyone hits lotto. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Upgrade

Upgrading will get you a better Jeep in the long run. Buying a Rubi will get you a good rig right off the lot.

I would go with the upgrade route myself. It does take time, money and work but the end result is way more worth it.

There is no really easy answer to this, it all depends on what you want to do with it when. In the end the money will be about the same, the Rubi will not save you tons of money (just look at how over priced comparatively mediocre Mopar parts are), it will just be done sooner.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Upgrading will get you a better Jeep in the long run. Buying a Rubi will get you a good rig right off the lot.

I would go with the upgrade route myself. It does take time, money and work but the end result is way more worth it.

There is no really easy answer to this, it all depends on what you want to do with it when. In the end the money will be about the same, the Rubi will not save you tons of money (just look at how over priced comparatively mediocre Mopar parts are), it will just be done sooner.
Plus look at all the interest you will be saving for the lower payment. Given you take the loan to term.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.