Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a 2 door Wrangler in the near future. I am torn between getting a rubicon either (TJ no need for SYE or JK) and a sport. If you was to get a sport how would you build it to outperform a Rubicon? I am on a budget and would be a extended period build buying part by part.I researched and found that JP Magazine and saw they made a article Rubicon fighter but it didn't go into specifics.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you are on a budget and do not know how or what is needed to build a Sport correctly then get a JK Rubicon. This will save you a bunch of money in possibly useless mods just trying to get to the performance you want.

Yes, a Sport can be build into a monster of a vehicle, but is better left for after you have build two or three other 4x4s prior to know what is needed or what is not needed.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The first thing you need to do is determine your mission profile. What exactly do you plan on using your Jeep for? I belong to an off road group and we go out every week on some pretty rough trails. The Rubicons have the least amount of trouble, due to their lockers. Sports and other types of Jeeps need to be towed or winched on a regular basis. If you are just looking for a daily driver that you occasionally drive on dirt roads, a Sport or Sahara should do you fine. But you really need to define your mission profile first.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,102 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Pluses to Buying the Rubicon.

1. Most everything that you need for off road, is already on it.

2. You will have factory warranty on all of these upgrades.

3. When you get ready to sell it someday, there is a better chance that you will receive more of your money back, verses a sport with dollars invested in MODS.

But it is a choice, your choice!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are so many factors that will determine what the best route will be. Where you wheel and what type of terrain, tire size you'd like ect.

I wheeled a 03 Rubi for a while and really enjoyed it and literally did only a 2" lift and 33s. It took me to some places I really shouldn't have taken my daily driver but it did it without any issues!

This time around, I bought a 15' JKWW since I will not be doing near as hard trails with it. The option is really your opinion as to what you want to spend up front.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
A second asking what you want it for? Sand? Rock crawling? That will determine your build. Going cheap is not always the best route. If you can do work yourself, it will make things much easier and less expensive. If you cannot and have to pay to have all the work done factor that in.

Regearing and adding lockers is not something everyone can do.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
IIRC, the Rubi off road upgrades (4:10's, 4:1 TC, lockers, D44, etc.) are about $3000, maybe a bit more. Upgrading a sport would run you upwards of $8000 and you still wouldn't have a D44 up front. You could build a better Jeep if you started with a sport but honestly, most of us don't really need more than the Rubi offers.

As a bonus, you can finance the Rubi package at the same low rate. Putting the 8 grand on you credit card...:(

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I will be purchasing a 2 door Wrangler in the near future. I am torn between getting a rubicon either (TJ no need for SYE or JK) and a sport. If you was to get a sport how would you build it to outperform a Rubicon? I am on a budget and would be a extended period build buying part by part.I researched and found that JP Magazine and saw they made a article Rubicon fighter but it didn't go into specifics.
Well I built my Sport and have no regrets, or no money...

4.88s
ARB front and rear
Blew the D30 slam to pieces upgraded to a Pro Rock D44 Unlimited with ARB.
35" tires
AEV 2.5 lift
Bumpers
Maybe one day swap for an Atlas transfer case but with the 4.88, 4-Low is very torquey.

All this and resale is still based off a sport package. Not that I foresee selling it but just saying. But building my JKU Sport slowly was a very fun project and like most of my projects it is never finished. Maybe that is why I was just Divorced 2 days before Christmas.. LOL..

Rubicons for sure have a nicer interior, and the resale value is more.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you really can't see a long term goal just get a Rubi. Be the best out of the box. I personally bought a sport knowing long term it would go where rubi's fear to tread. But to do that I will have more $$ in mods than the purchase price of the Jeep.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is a question that I've been mulling over the past few months. When it's brought up on the forums, people seem to act like the difference in purchase price between a Sport and Rubicon as $4-5k when, according to the Jeep website, it's actually around $9k! It sure seems like $9k would buy a lot of upgrades!

And as nice as the Rubicon is, I'm certain that I'd end up changing some things on it anyway - tires, lift, bumpers. I know me and it's just going to happen eventually!

Can anyone tell me a realistic cost to upgrade the Sport with a regear, lockers, and a D44 front axle. Assuming that I have to pay someone to do all the work? (no garage or driveway for me right now...)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This is a question that I've been mulling over the past few months. When it's brought up on the forums, people seem to act like the difference in purchase price between a Sport and Rubicon as $4-5k when, according to the Jeep website, it's actually around $9k! It sure seems like $9k would buy a lot of upgrades!

And as nice as the Rubicon is, I'm certain that I'd end up changing some things on it anyway - tires, lift, bumpers. I know me and it's just going to happen eventually!

Can anyone tell me a realistic cost to upgrade the Sport with a regear, lockers, and a D44 front axle. Assuming that I have to pay someone to do all the work? (no garage or driveway for me right now...)

Well to start with what brand lockers? I prefer ARB, as far as gears price is about the same regardless of ratio. I would say Dig deep and do the Pro Rock Unlimited D44 it will come fully built ready to bolt in and have the almost indestructible RCV shafts. Runs about $5100 depending on what extras you add. The re gearing the back runs about $1100 add a locker of choice average $1000.

I can not speak to labor rate as they vary greatly by location. A lot of people will say almost same cost and limited warranty. This is true, but I am willing to bet you limp a Rubicon to a dealership with a busted locker of gear set and they are going to deem it due to miss use/abuse and make you pay big bucks to get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you can afford it now I say go with the Rubicon. It will be better equipped out the gate and you can add from there as needed :happyyes:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I went with a Sport, but sometimes i think I should have gone Rubicon given the rate I can add mods because of the lack of money to do more haha.

The way I see it 5 months later, Rock track transfer case, 4.10s', and front/rear lockers is really what differentiates the offroad capabilities of the Rubi vs my Sport, I knew I couldn't justify the price difference from the start, I didn't care for decals and extra accessories, knowing eventually I could get there little by little, what scares me the most is the aftermarket 44 front diff because of the price, and even the Rubicon doesn't have that stock, so if you're doing mods to your Jeep to have that or better axels, who cares if you started with a Rubi, Sahara or Sport ?, at least with the Sport you started way cheaper, at least that was my logic :)

I'm doing gears and rear locker in Feb next year, later on i'll think about a used rock track or Atlas, and if the stock d30 lives to see it, an aftermarket 44 would seal the deal.
I would have loved to have a Rubicon because somehow I think it would have slowed down the mod strategy, to a point..., but seriously, thinking about it, I have no regrets with my Sport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It will be my daily driver with occasional weekend camping and offroad use. I will be moving to the Oklahoma City in a week so I am not sure what the area has to offer as far as offroad use. If I had to guess it would be used offroad for dirt/mud and mild rock. I was leaning towards a TJ rubicon since it has the I6 4.0 motor and don't need a SYE when lifting it. I also like that the Rubicon already comes with lockers so that would save me money to put towards other aftermarket parts. I am not looking to build a rock krawling monster just something to DD and handle weekend offroad excursions. I figured a TJ or JK Rubi, manual transmission with aftermarket front and rear bumpers, 3.5-4" suspension lift, 35"tires and a winch to start with. Then when budget allows continue to add.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts