Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the Jeep world after last owning a Jeep 20 yrs ago. I am looking at a 2015 Sahara with some mods (lift, tires, lights and powered running boards) has 29k miles for $35. Not sure if a good deal and know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I like it. I’m also debating to buy one that has no mods and add (via mechanic) them overtime.

From a cost perspectiveand I know one can go crazy with mods, I tried looking it up online for the cost and estimate the labor costs. Purely from cost point of view, would it be more efficient to buy and then add on your own or buy with the mods already there?

I am looking at 2015 or newer with under 35k miles and spending around $25-35

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Dealers do not pay extra for people that have accessories (lift/tires/add ons) when people trade them. That being said, many people buy them already accessorized. If you are buying it used, might be best to get it inspected at a reputable mechanic. Personally, I do not buy into additional pricing on a used vehicle for said aftermarket parts. You can save a ton of cash buying one that is already done.

Market can wildly deviate prices, out here in the PNW that seems like it should be a 30-33k rig not knowing how many other factory options are on it and if it is certified.

Getting it installed from stock, you know the quality of the product being put in along with the changes immediately felt. Along with a warranty of sorts from the installers. This could be a good way to go as well, but can add up, like you imply.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The powered running boards alone are 1200-2000 bucks (plus install if you have a pro do it) . That's money saved if you buy with them included, and money lost if you have to add them to another machine. Normally you don't recoup too much money on mods that you add

The only problem with an already done up machine is the possibility of the aftermarket work not being done correctly, so get it checked before you buy.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
IF the price is right and the mods are quality components you can save some money doing that way. But if already modded do your homework. A lot of parts a cheap Chinese knock offs. Make sure what you are buying.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Hi, I’m new to the Jeep world after last owning a Jeep 20 yrs ago. I am looking at a 2015 Sahara with some mods (lift, tires, lights and powered running boards) has 29k miles for $35. Not sure if a good deal and know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I like it. I’m also debating to buy one that has no mods and add (via mechanic) them overtime.

From a cost perspectiveand I know one can go crazy with mods, I tried looking it up online for the cost and estimate the labor costs. Purely from cost point of view, would it be more efficient to buy and then add on your own or buy with the mods already there?

I am looking at 2015 or newer with under 35k miles and spending around $25-35

Thanks!!
That sounds overpriced. That dealer most likely took in that Jeep at $25,000 and now wants to score a $10,000 profit.

For reference: a couple months ago I sold my 2015 Sahara with 29,000 miles, Navi, color matching hardtop, Saddle leather, side airbags, remote start, auto AC, dealer-installed Mopar 2” lift, Mopar Hard Rock bumpers, 4.10 gears, rear TrueTrac LSD, 34” KO2s on 75A wheels, Mopar headliners and fuel door for $30,000.

Last August dealers offered $25,000-$26,000 for this fully-loaded 2015 Sahara with 29,000 miles.
I sold it privately, without the winch, for $30,000; it went fast.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This was 35k new. 42K it stands..2018 jku sport. Dealer took to local 4x4 shop where I had the work done (instead of paying jeep). They built the mods into the financing.

jeep.jpg

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I gambled and bought mine pretty modded. Much harder to learn the vehicle since you're constantly trying to figure out what is stock vs. aftermarket..although you said you're going to have a mechanic ($$$$$) do your work so that may not effect you as much.

I also had previously researched what mods I would want to do and priced them out. I ended up scoring quite the deal by having those already on the jeep, especially if you consider installation costs! Of course I've swapped out a lot of the parts to make it my own, but still I'm glad I took the gamble that I did.

So it could go both ways really. Sorry, this probably didn't help much lol

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Depends on why you want a vehicle. I always buy stock and mod. The modding is one of my hobbies that I really enjoy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If it was exceptionally clean, well maintained and I could decipher what lift was under it I may consider buying a modded rig. If its a quality lift then I could assume that the rest of the build was of reasonably good quality as well. But having owned a few Jeeps, New is the best option! Too many variables to take into account with these rigs. Who did the wrenching? Do they own a torque wrench? Low buck parts combined with mechanical aptitude of an engineer scares me. I sent my engineer boss to the tool box to get a METRIC crescent wrench, he looked for it! Did he own your Jeep? Plus, With the average vehicle you have to worry if it was built on a Monday or Friday. The good Wranglers are only built one day/wk! And the days are never the same!! Be careful, get it checked out, put several miles on it before you sign & keep some cash in reserve to fix what was done wrong..

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
:welcome: I'd do my own mods, research the parts, and only buy top quality. I'm a hands on guy, and would prefer to do my own work, knowing exactly what I have and how it was done. IMO anything else will be a compromise to me. Opinions vary. In any event good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some mods do not effect the drivability of the Jeep. Like bumpers, side steps etc. But once you get into suspension, trans, engine and differential mods, those could be a nightmare if not done correctly. Also, a modded Jeep could have been modded just for appearance. But if it was done to "use", then some one may have beat the hell out of it, and it may not be evident by looking at it. But it is a crap shoot when you buy used any way. If I buy a used vehicle for anything close to what you are looking at, a Carfax is a must.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
In my adult years, I don’t buy modded vehicles. IMO many are modded by hacks.

If you do look at a modded vehicle, I’d take the mindset of; if built correctly and with good components, the seller will have a box of receipts and manuals. If it’s built with shit, many aren’t so proud, and tend to forget model numbers, brand names, who do the work etc.
Again, not fact, just the mindset I’d use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my 2015 JK with mods already on it, but it also did not have a lift at the time of purchase. If mods are cosmetic only, i see no issue with it. Since the one you are looking at has a lift, get under the jeep and see if you can determine what lift has been installed. The quality of the lift should tell you a lot about the rest of the Jeep IMO.

For frame of reference, the 2015 JK rubi i bought had about $8k worth of mods on it at the time of purchase with 12k miles on the clock. I paid $32k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts