Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've always wanted to get a poison spyder bumper. I really like them! I have a Rough Country stubby winch ready bumper already. So if you had the choice, would you spend the money on the bumper you always wanted or get a winch to throw into my existing bumper? Money spent would be about the same. I don't offroad often and all my buddies already have winches. So, what would you do?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Depends on what is more important TO YOU.
If I was making this decision, I'd go with the winch. I'm a firm believer that if a mod doesn't directly translate to better performance, it goes to the bottom of the list.
A new bumper will not help your Jeep perform any better than the one you've currently got. But that's just my opinion; take it for what it's worth.
If you prefer form before function, then go with the bumper. It's YOUR Jeep.
You'll get numerous opinions when you start a thread like this. Some you'll agree with...some you won't. Just remember that you're the one who asked us. ;)

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
id keep the bumper you have and get a winch. or look at crawler concepts they are a startup by the design guy that was at poision sypder

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I have not added a winch because I didn't want the weight, but am beginning to rethink the whole thing. Real happy with this PS bumper now and a Warn zeon will bolt right down on this one (with 1/4 " spacer plate). Headed to the Palo Duro Canyon Jeep Jamboree this next week and Superwinch is one of the sponsors, they are going to be running a 40% off special for attendees, that may just push me over the top.

If it were me I would probably go with the winch. Which is funny because I have not wanted to run one.... decisions, decisions. I'm basing this decision on need rather than want. I suppose the same could be said of your question, what do you really want verses what do you really need.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't need either.....that said, I rarely wheel alone so others having winches solves that issue. Added weight in front is also a concern.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was in the exact same predicament last month.

Did I want to buy a Poison Spyder bumper and wait a month or two on the winch, or did I want to put a winch on the stock bumper?

I really like the PSC bumper, so I bought it and will get the winch later. But that was replacing the stock bumper with something I considered far superior, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Do what makes you happy. I agree with function over form as mentioned. But a lot of people spend $1000 on a winch they never use (and let's be frank- people also buy a winch for looks ). If you wheel alone- get one.
We always wheel with a winch- heavy group. Yet. 85% of the time we use good old fashioned tow straps when someone needs a tug. If I had a do-over I'd put a winch further down my list. Too many other mods that are more useful.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Both of my PS bumpers came in yesterday and I have to say the quality and attention to detail is outstanding! The welds are perfect and the gusseting is really well done. They are being painted in the next couple of days but once they are installed I will post some pics up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
buy what makes you happy. save for what you want most and do it right, do it once. an aftermarket bumper can improve offroad performance by providing better approach angles. get the bumper you want, save up and buy a winch you want. that being said i love my PSC BFH bumper

·
Registered
483 Posts
Buy the PS bumper, then sell me your X bumper.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
But a lot of people spend $1000 on a winch they never use (and let's be frank- people also buy a winch for looks ).
I have learned that since getting a jeep. Weird but that true is a jeep thing I guess.

Anyway I agree with Jeepherz. Do you skid plates? Sliders? If not that is were I would spend my money on.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Buy the PS bumper, then sell me your X bumper.
This^ except sell HIM your X bumper.

I bought my PSC bumper first and a few months later I picked up a winch.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would get the bumper. Sounds like you don't need a winch at this point in time and every time you walk by your jeep your gonna look at it and think man I want that bumper. In the end you'll end up buying the bumper anyhow. That's the way it works in my experience lol. So you might as well get it now and not have to transfer a winch later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts