Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the Cliff notes version of my saga. After having the Jeep 4 months the dry summer became a wet ass fall here in New England and my new jeep became a 4 wheel shower on wheels. Fast forward to last week after the 6th trip to the dealer and the door seals replaced twice, the header seal twice and the freedom panel seal once along with countless mucket seals replaced for a grand total of 3 weeks in the shop, the dealer recommended I open a case with Chrysler care since they can't initiate one on their own.(a star case was opened 2 months ago).

I called last Friday got the usual here's your case number and a case manager will call in 2-3 days. First call yesterday with the case manger went less than stellar, they insisted I call the dealer and set up a 7th service appointment for them to work on the Jeep and then they will follow up every 2-3 days to see how I'm making out :atomic:WTH I was pissed! I explained that in RI, 4 visits was enough of a case for a lemon law buyback and she was like "well I don't know that's not my department" I left a message for the service manager asking for a call and what would they recommend to do regarding the appointment. This AM I filled out the arbitration request form at the NCDS website and sent in a detailed attachment with photos and timeline of repairs and referenced I had videos of the leak. Not 5 hours go by and I get a phone call from my casemanger and she reports that the case has been reviewed and a buyback has been approved. She wouldn't say what had changed from yesterday, but that in 2-3 days a case manager from the buyback team would call to start the process.(anyone ever have it resolved this quick?)

What are the normal offers in buyback cases? will they included mods and equipment added? do I push for interest payments to be reimbursed? and I read in prior posts all incentives and money down and taxes are returned. I plan on upgrading to an unlimited so I'm wondering do I keep this jeep until the new one is ordered and comes in? thanks for whatever feedback people have in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went thru a buy back via the Lemon Law in Florida, May 2015 with my Mercedes GLA45 AMG. I know some of the laws regarding this are state specific. In Florida, they allow up to a $2000 price difference on the purchase price of the vehicle. The replacement vehicle was $2000 more expensive. I did not have to pay anything. I had not done anything to the Lemon other than have the windows tinted. The local dealership did not compensate me the tinting, though I was entitled to it.

The entire process after I filed the Lemon Law forms was rapid. Mercedes was fantastic. The local dealership was horrible. Through out the entire process the local dealership acted like they were doing me a favor - they were rude and unsympathetic. Mercedes said "what can we do to make this right and keep you our customer in the future."

Really, it was stressful until Mercedes got involved after filing the Lemon Law form. After that, it was just a matter of them locating a replacement vehicle for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Forgot to add, my Lemon was not drive-able, so I was given a brand new C300 as a loaner for a month. The only issue with that was I needed to drive out of state. The car was not permitted to drive out of state, they wanted to get me a Ford Focus as a rental car to take on a 2000 mile trip. I told them "unacceptable." I ended up cancelling my trip.

The buy back in getting you a new Jeep should be very quick, so this probably won't be an issue. It was only an issue with my GLA45 AMG because there were something like 500 total shipped to the US and most had been allocated. I am in South FL and my replavpcement vehicle came from NC.

In FL, you would be entitled to get every ¢ back, other than some deducted for the mileage driven. Additionally in FL, the State Attorney General's office provides you a free lawyer for your case and to make sure everything is done to adhere to the law.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It varies state to state but as I understand it you won't get anywhere working with the dealer or Chrysler. You need to get in touch with an attorney who does lemon law. They'll put the paperwork together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, sitting in my office and the web police got me! Need to switch to the phone! Mike I'm leaving the lawyers out for now, as it stands they agreed to a buyback, I'm just waiting for the offer. I've got a buddy who is lawyer in RI and I'll pull him in if needed. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect now that they agree it's a lemon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My buyback went smoothly. In Ohio our law dictates that if a manufacturer provides arbitration, that it must be used before any lemon law litigation. Chrysler does have an arbitration company to attempt to resolve any issues if you choose to fight. I did not have to go through arbitration as Chrysler, and my dealer were great with the whole ordeal. I drove my leaky keep while my new one was on order, I had not added any mods, but they asked about any improvements that I made and it seemed as though I would have been compensated. I ordered a carbon copy of my jeep so there was no difference in price. Essentially how the process worked was that my leaky jeep was bought back for exactly what I paid plus taxes and fees, and then applied to the new jeep. All in all what I figure that I did lose out on was a the interest paid on my loan; maybe a few hundred dollars, but I chose not to argue because I basically got to drive a jeep for 14,000 miles for free. All in all a good experience, but I could see it getting funky if there was a bit of third party mods done to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wuzo was it all handled thru jeep, or did a third party handle it? And the mods aren't major, rock rails and trailer hitch, both would stay on since I'm planning on ordering an unlimited all the other stuff I can unbolt easily!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wuzo was it all handled thru jeep, or did a third party handle it? And the mods aren't major, rock rails and trailer hitch, both would stay on since I'm planning on ordering an unlimited all the other stuff I can unbolt easily!
yes, Chrysler directly handled it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts