Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Engine Lamp On – Code P0456 – 2010 Wrangler w/California Emissions

The vehicle is 5 years + 2 months old with 61,000 miles. The California emission warranty covers the fuel tank for defects for 7 yr/70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. While on a 4,200 mile road trip for the past 2 weeks, I got the “Check Fuel Cap” message. The fuel cap was on properly and the “Check Fuel Cap” message went away. Three days later the check engine (MIL) came on and I had the P0456 code (small evap system leak). I purchased a new fuel cap in Oklahoma and cleared the code. Three days later the check engine (MIL) came on again and the P0456 code returned. So I know I have an evap system leak and it is not the fuel cap.

When I returned home from the road trip, I took the Wrangler to the local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat dealer.

Here is what happen:
They immediately advised the diagnosis would cost $119. Later, they call and said the fuel tank roll over valve was leaking, based on their diagnostic smoke test and the roll over valve is part of the molded fuel tank assembly. They stated the repair cost would be $1,182.50 plus sales tax. I asked about the 7/70 emission warranty and they had no clue. After providing the dealer with the emission warranty information, 5 phone calls, and 36 hours later, they decided the fuel tank was cover by the emission warranty, based on information from FCA.

Here is what should have happen:
They could have advised they will diagnose the concern and if it is not warranty, the diagnosis will be $119. When they determined the fuel tank [roll over valve] was faulty they should have advised that they will order the fuel tank and replace under the emission defect warranty.

Why they promoted customer pay when the repair is actually a warranty repair is not a customer satisfier. How many customers would even know the facts?

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't understand the post title. Is it regarding the brand or the dealer? Sounds like a dealer issue and very common one by the way. Their "techs" usually don't know much more than two words "mo' money..."

·
Registered
218 Posts
They likely pushed a customer payment over warranty situation because the rate that they get reimbursed for warranty work is far less than what they can and do charge customers outright.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Chrysler dealers are not known for good customer service when it comes to the service departments.
Have never been to a dealership with good customer service. All dealers I've ever encountered have always been all about the green. If you do have a lot of green and throw it at them, then they will probably wipe your a$$ for you after dropping a turd. LOL /end rant

·
Registered
383 Posts
Being someone who was a mechanic at two different jeep dealers, and worked in other dealers you don't blame the tech. In almost all cases they just do the work. The service writer gives the tech a repair order. Tech reads it. Verifies complaint. Diagnose. Return RO to service writer with Diagnosis, and parts needed. Service writer checks warranty info, and calls customer with the damage. You approve or deny. Service writer gives RO back, and tech proceeds as necessary. Can techs look at the year and mileage and assume warranty? Yes of course, and they do, but it's still not their job.

On another note. The dealership makes more money doing non warranty work. Labor rate is lower for warranty work, and parts of course. So maybe they tried to pull a fast one. It happens...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Check Engine Lamp On – Code P0456 – 2010 Wrangler w/California Emissions

The vehicle is 5 years + 2 months old with 61,000 miles. The California emission warranty covers the fuel tank for defects for 7 yr/70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. While on a 4,200 mile road trip for the past 2 weeks, I got the “Check Fuel Cap” message. The fuel cap was on properly and the “Check Fuel Cap” message went away. Three days later the check engine (MIL) came on and I had the P0456 code (small evap system leak). I purchased a new fuel cap in Oklahoma and cleared the code. Three days later the check engine (MIL) came on again and the P0456 code returned. So I know I have an evap system leak and it is not the fuel cap.

When I returned home from the road trip, I took the Wrangler to the local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat dealer.

Here is what happen:
They immediately advised the diagnosis would cost $119. Later, they call and said the fuel tank roll over valve was leaking, based on their diagnostic smoke test and the roll over valve is part of the molded fuel tank assembly. They stated the repair cost would be $1,182.50 plus sales tax. I asked about the 7/70 emission warranty and they had no clue. After providing the dealer with the emission warranty information, 5 phone calls, and 36 hours later, they decided the fuel tank was cover by the emission warranty, based on information from FCA.

Here is what should have happen:
They could have advised they will diagnose the concern and if it is not warranty, the diagnosis will be $119. When they determined the fuel tank [roll over valve] was faulty they should have advised that they will order the fuel tank and replace under the emission defect warranty.

Why they promoted customer pay when the repair is actually a warranty repair is not a customer satisfier. How many customers would even know the facts?

Buyer beware.
That's why you just hammer them on their survey.

I don't understand the post title. Is it regarding the brand or the dealer? Sounds like a dealer issue and very common one by the way. Their "techs" usually don't know much more than two words "mo' money..."
The service advisor is responsible for determining if a repair will be performed under warranty. The technician diagnoses the problem so that the service advisor can make that determination.

OP, don't be surprised that the service advisor didn't know it was a warrantied repair. Most dealers look forward to the day when the customer's warranty expires so they can start charging them the $100 per hour labor cost for non-warranty repairs. It's up to the customers to be informed! Most (not all) dealers will shaft you when given the opportunity, and it happens every day.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's why you just hammer them on their survey.

The service advisor is responsible for determining if a repair will be performed under warranty. The technician diagnoses the problem so that the service advisor can make that determination.

OP, don't be surprised that the service advisor didn't know it was a warrantied repair. Most dealers look forward to the day when the customer's warranty expires so they can start charging them the $100 per hour labor cost for non-warranty repairs. It's up to the customers to be informed! Most (not all) dealers will shaft you when given the opportunity, and it happens every day.
Understood, and agreed. That's the way it SHOULD be, but more often than not it doesn't work that way. Heck, most of the times they "are not aware" of existing TSBs or recalls... Like Donald Trump said about the Mexicans, I would also say (based on years or personal experience) "some are rapists, some are thieves and some, I assume, are good people..."
My question was because of the title "buyer beware" sounded as if it was directed to the brand and not the service department.
Carry On! ;)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Outside of the 3/36 warranty it is extremely unlikely they'll start with the assumption of a covered part. They'll almost always treat it as customer pay until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been working in the auto industry for about 10 years. I'm a warranty claim adjuster for an extended warranty company. I previously worked as a service advisor and was one of the very few advisors who knew and checked all the different warranty coverages for the brand i would work for. i would also look up ''secret'' warrany extensions.

The thing you need to understand about service departments is that they only care about making money. They don't give a shit how many cars you bought from their dealership if you don't have your vehicle serviced by them. 95% of advisors and service managers only care about selling maintenance/repairs/bullshit and don't know they warranty info.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
CYA. Know your vehicle, the warranties and possible TSB's for issues. I know 95% of people don't do this and take the word of the service departments. For me, I'll document my issues on paper and provide warranty coverage info or TSB's with my complaint when presenting the vehicle for service. Saves time and questions. And my service writer appreciates that I have my ducks in a row before stepping foot in the service area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The title "Buyer Beware" is a reference to buying "service" sold by the dealer. The service department should know the warranty coverage better than the customer and apply the warranty coverage properly. In my case, I told them the fuel tank was covered under the 7/70 emission defect warranty and I provided them with the documentation from the California EPA website. I guess they just need to hear it from Chrysler first. It is not a Chrysler warranty, it is a Federal EPA mandated warranty which must be honored by all manufacturers selling new vehicles in the U.S.

As for the question on the fuel tank being covered for 7/70, as far as I know, this is the Federal emission warranty and not specific to California.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
"While on a 4,200 mile road trip for the past 2 weeks, I got the “Check Fuel Cap” message. The fuel cap was on properly and the “Check Fuel Cap” message went away."

Somewhat common so far.

"Three days later the check engine (MIL) came on and I had the P0456 code (small evap system leak)."

Ok. You're CEL indicted a small evap leak, could be the gas cap, but may not be. This is where I would have had the dealer check it out before buying anything.

"They could have advised they will diagnose the concern and if it is not warranty, the diagnosis will be $119." Yes, it would have been better to phrase it this way but it happens.

EPA doesn't mean anything in terms of warranty when it comes to coverage. You could damage your evap container under the Jeep on a trail and cause issues - they have no reason to warranty that because you damaged it - yet it wouldn't pass the EPA standards. You could drive in winter a lot and the muffler gets a rust hole, it violates the EPA standard too, and might get covered under warranty because it's rust - assuming it's not caused by damage to the part first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the Jeep was damaged, I would not expect the repair under warranty and this post would not exist. This is a defect emission warranty repair, not a damage repair. The EPA does determine the emission warranty for all manufactures for vehicles sold in the U.S.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Being someone who was a mechanic at two different jeep dealers, and worked in other dealers you don't blame the tech. In almost all cases they just do the work. The service writer gives the tech a repair order. Tech reads it. Verifies complaint. Diagnose. Return RO to service writer with Diagnosis, and parts needed. Service writer checks warranty info, and calls customer with the damage. You approve or deny. Service writer gives RO back, and tech proceeds as necessary. Can techs look at the year and mileage and assume warranty? Yes of course, and they do, but it's still not their job.

On another note. The dealership makes more money doing non warranty work. Labor rate is lower for warranty work, and parts of course. So maybe they tried to pull a fast one. It happens...
I agree. They have some awesome techs, its generally the pencil pusher running the shop that doesn't know.
Live and learn, when wanting free work, have the paperwork ready.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts