Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks. Been looking for an unmolested TJ and just made an offer on a bone stock 05 6spd Rubicon with very low miles.

Other than checking for DW indicators (owner says never had it), anything else in particular to look for on an inspection/test ride?

(If this info is elsewhere on the forum, I couldn't find it!)

Thanks...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check for rust under the carpet, on the frame, under the tub.
Obviously test drive for 10 minutes+ and watch all the gauges. Engine Temp should be around 210.
Take it in some dirt and test the 4 wheel drive hi and low.
Make sure u have it in neutral or park when going into 4 low.

·
Registered
104 Posts
And if you want to know all the info on the build of the jeep you can email Jeep with the vin number and ask for a build sheet. It's free and they emailed it to me within a couple hours

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Check for rust under the carpet, on the frame, under the tub.
Obviously test drive for 10 minutes+ and watch all the gauges. Engine Temp should be around 210.
Take it in some dirt and test the 4 wheel drive hi and low.
Make sure u have it in neutral or park when going into 4 low.
Your actually supposed to be moving anywhere between .1 mph to 5mph to shift into 4lo. Not a good idea to be in park or neutral to shift to 4lo :thumb: but other info is a must do when shopping for a jeep. Also check for any fluid leaks and stuff of that nature :dance:

·
Administrator
30,779 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Take it out on the highway and get it up to speed 50-60ish to feel for shakes/vibrations in the steering. A carfax is also a good idea.

And if you want to know all the info on the build of the jeep you can email Jeep with the vin number and ask for a build sheet. It's free and they emailed it to me within a couple hours
Unfortunately you can not acquire this info unless you are already the registered owner.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Check for oil seal leaks at the: Pinion seals of both axles, Axle shaft seal leaks (check the lower section of the inner C's on the front), oil leaking from the drums could be either a leaking brake cylinder or a axle shaft seal and don't forget the: Rear Main, T-case output shaft, Valve cover,front brake calipers/rubber hoses, rad hoses etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your actually supposed to be moving anywhere between .1 mph to 5mph to shift into 4lo. Not a good idea to be in park or neutral to shift to 4lo :thumb: but other info is a must do when shopping for a jeep. Also check for any fluid leaks and stuff of that nature :dance:
So you should keep it in drive and be rolling when going into 4lo?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Kaoskrewpb said:
I feel like you'll hear some not so nice noises if you do that. What I do is slow to a creeping idle or even less, pop the transmission in neutral, pull from 4hi straight through neutral on tthe tcase to 4lo, then back in gear. You can do it completely still too but if you feel resistance roll a few feet and try again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Navy F-4--What model did you fly? I flew the "J" with VMFA-333 At MCAS Beaufort (all my airplanes are in museums now).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deal on the 05 Rubicon fell through - seller accepted my offer but balked at helping with delivery, and I don't have the time for the entire trip. Still in the hunt, so keep the tips coming!

Navy F-4--What model did you fly? I flew the "J" with VMFA-333 At MCAS Beaufort (all my airplanes are in museums now).
M2+, most of my time was in B's, J's and N's, off Enterprise and Midway (my Marine buddies from flight training were flying B's out of Danang and Chu Lai.) Also had a little time in S's, and a couple hops in an A (the only Navy model with dual controls, IIRC). Stopped by Miramar last summer and got to talking with an F-18 guy who asked what I'd flown. When I told him, the look on his face made me think he was going to ask if it had two wings...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes you should no more than 5mph a very slow crawl. Should go in very nicly.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I feel like you'll hear some not so nice noises if you do that. What I do is slow to a creeping idle or even less, pop the transmission in neutral, pull from 4hi straight through neutral on tthe tcase to 4lo, then back in gear. You can do it completely still too but if you feel resistance roll a few feet and try again.
I don't hear any noise. I actually heard unpleasant noises when I sit still and put it in 4lo. And plus the owners manuel says to be moving when you do it and you do not have to put in N.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Navy F-4. I flew (believe it or not) the TF-9J out of DaNang as a Fast FAC. I flew the F-4J with VMFA-333 (USMC RAG Squadron) at Beaufort S.C. Hence my Mach2Plus forum name. Great airplane. Be sure and visit the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola.:thumb: Good luck on the great Jeep hunt!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Really check the frame right in front of the back tires. The frame on my TJ looked really good but was rusting from the inside out infront of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really check the frame right in front of the back tires. The frame on my TJ looked really good but was rusting from the inside out infront of the rear wheel.
How do you tell if it's rusting from the inside out? Are the frame rails an open "C" cross section as opposed to a closed box cross section? Understand I've never been under a Jeep.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
How do you tell if it's rusting from the inside out? Are the frame rails an open "C" cross section as opposed to a closed box cross section? Understand I've never been under a Jeep.
They are a closed box frame. If you stick your finger into one of the holes of the frame and feel around you can get an idea. If you feel flakes or pull skin of the inside of the frame when you stick your finger in, you'll know its rusty. Also if you feel the frame full up to the holes with "sand" either it is sand and they mudded it, or its all the rust pooling at the bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
fourty4magjr said:
I don't hear any noise. I actually heard unpleasant noises when I sit still and put it in 4lo. And plus the owners manuel says to be moving when you do it and you do not have to put in N.
My owners manual states other wise.

" With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3to5km/h), shift an automatic transmission to N(Neutral) or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3to5km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired position.Do not pause in transfercase N (Neutral)." (Pg. 172 in 2004 owners manual)

You're not supposed to pause in neutral in the transfercase but you are not supposed to be sending power through the transmission when shifting into and out of 4lo

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts