Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a JK and I've taken it off road and it did great but I've decided I want to keep it stock. My idea is to now buy a TJ that will be a "dedicated" off road vehicle. The catch is that'd it'd also still need to be street-able (no tow rig). I know I'll want to do a long arm lift, 35" tires and lockers. I don't know much about TJs. What should I look for and what should I avoid? I heard the D35 is a time bomb. Any advice from those that have done it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like if you don't get the rubicon than you pretty much need to swap out axles and shafts to run 35s.

I was hoping I could just sleeve and truss, etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Seems like if you don't get the rubicon than you pretty much need to swap out axles and shafts to run 35s.

I was hoping I could just sleeve and truss, etc.
There are non-Rubicon TJs that come with the D44. Go to craigslist and type in "rocky mountain edition", those came standard in 2003-05 with D44 rears and was what I was aiming for before I stumbled across an '01 Sport with a D44 for cheap.

You could also do a wide area craigslist search for "Dana 44, -Rubicon" and that would likely give you a few non-rubicon options. There are apparently search engine that overlay craigslist that are very useful, not sure the specifics though.

That being said, it doesn't sound like you're broke so just go ahead and buy a Rubicon. Find one that's not lifted so you know it's not already beat to hell or bent up. Plenty of people buy Rubicons in my area and almost never take them off road. Be patient and find a single owner Rubicon with 80-100k that's stock-ish.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are non-Rubicon TJs that come with the D44. Go to craigslist and type in "rocky mountain edition", those came standard in 2003-05 with D44 rears and was what I was aiming for before I stumbled across an '01 Sport with a D44 for cheap. You could also do a wide area craigslist search for "Dana 44, -Rubicon" and that would likely give you a few non-rubicon options. There are apparently search engine that overlay craigslist that are very useful, not sure the specifics though. That being said, it doesn't sound like you're broke so just go ahead and buy a Rubicon. Find one that's not lifted so you know it's not already beat to hell or bent up. Plenty of people buy Rubicons in my area and almost never take them off road. Be patient and find a single owner Rubicon with 80-100k that's stock-ish.
I did not know about the mountain edition. I'm in no rush so I can hold out for the a good buy. That was some good advice. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts