Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys think it has 95,000 miles but its a 1990 so i kinda feel that it has ticked over and probably has 195,000 I'm sure ill able to tell when i see it and drive it but any thought anything i should know I'm getting myself into?

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
check for rust on the shackle mounts.... rust in the floor pans and rocker panels, ask why they switched to the wide flares? bring a magnet with you to check the metal for holes that were patched with bondo. look under the flares for rust damage. look closely at the wiring under the hood. If it looks like a rats nest or there is a ton of wire caps it means the previous owner patched the electrical together to make things work. It isn't a terrible issue but it can be a nightmare when trying to rebuild one. check the gas tank for leaks and rust as well. If it has a metal gas tank people will stuff towels between the skid plate and the tank to hide leaks from rust. make sure the brakes work. see if all the gauges work. Look at the radiator fluid, feel how soft the hoses are. look at the shock mounts see if they are rusted out. look at the brake lines for rust

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yj's don't role over till they hit 1,000,000 miles, so unless the speedo is broken mileage should be correct. renegades rust out where the fiberglass panels meet the body, be sure to check that good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow i was expecting answers that i probably already knew but thats was some things i didn't think about haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
looks pretty clean

·
Registered
112 Posts
Make sure the tranny goes through all the gears ok when driving. The 90's 5 spd was made by Peugeout and they were known to have problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts