Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to ordering a new 2016 wrangler. I'm very disappointed in the color choices. I'm getting the sport with 23S pkg, tow pkg, side rails, and premium soft top. Does anyone recommend the anti spin rear differential lock? Are there any other options I should get (don't want to spend so much so no rubicon for me)? Finding a dealer has been extremely difficult. They have as many gimmicks as our politicians. Beware! The price they gave you might change a lot when you go to pay for it and they add all their creative "fees". thanks, and happy trails, doug

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you are looking to save money, I have heard that it is cheaper to buy/install the tow package separately rather than purchase it from the dealer. Don't quote me on that, but definitely worth looking in to.

If you plan on doing any wheeling or driving in the snow, the anti spin diff will be helpful. If you plan on installing a locker later, don't get the anti spin because that will have been a waste of money.

I am not sure if the tow package comes with 3.73 gears or not, but if it doesn't, make sure you get 3.73 gears if you are going to be towing.

Also I would consider the 31" tire and wheel group. The stock tires are very small (29") so they don't look very good and have limited ground clearance, and the tires themselves (Goodyear Wrangler ST) are rated #36 out of 36 in its class on Tirerack. The 31" tire and wheel group comes with all terrain Bridgestone Dueler tires, which are a little bit better than the ST's, but still not great. Of course, you could get the standard tire option and use the $1000 you save to buy whatever tires you want. This is what I did.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Also I would consider the 31" tire and wheel group. The stock tires are very small (29") so they don't look very good and have limited ground clearance, and the tires themselves (Goodyear Wrangler ST) are rated #36 out of 36 in its class on Tirerack. The 31" tire and wheel group comes with all terrain Bridgestone Dueler tires, which are a little bit better than the ST's, but still not great. Of course, you could get the standard tire option and use the $1000 you save to buy whatever tires you want. This is what I did.
The OP said he/she is ordering the 23S package. That package comes with the 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch aluminum Moab wheels and P255/75R17 OWL On/Off Road Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires.

To the OP, get the anti-spin.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Alpine upgrade unless you are going to install something else. I'm quite surprised with it in my '16. I regret not getting the rear lockers on mine now but I can live without them. Had it one month and I've put 2100 miles on it. Makes driving fun again and I feel bad for neglecting my truck for the past month

·
Registered
85 Posts
You didn't really ask, but Willys edition includes Rubicon shocks, rock rails, wheels and tires (except wheels finished in black), 3.73 differential and Trac-Loc (limited slip).

Seemed like a great package to me. Found one in just the right color (Firecracker Red) and with a manual (mine isn't a daily driver - strictly errands and fun). It's a 2016. Only mod I've done was to replace the speakers with Kickers. Plenty about that elsewhere.

It had been a decade since my last Wrangler. After some negotiation, and lots of reading up on this forum, I got just the Jeep and the deal that I was after.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get the Alpine Stereo and get the Trac-Lock LSD in the rear. Both are a deal compared to adding them in later where the cost and time will be much more.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I agree with the previous posters, get the alpine stereo (it's awesome), the lsd (unless you're going to add a rear locker), and the 3.73 ratio (unless you're going to upgrade to 35+ inch tires).

From the sound of your budget, I'm guessing you won't be doing the locker or tires. But once you get a jeep you seem to find more pockets to empty that you didn't know you had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gear ratio

would someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of going to the 3.73 gear ratio?

·
Registered
757 Posts
would someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of going to the 3.73 gear ratio?
on 3.21, drive shaft turns 3.21 times for each rotation of the wheel.
3.73 it turns 3.73 times.
So while driving, 3.73's drive shaft turns more times, so engine goes at a higher rpm. But the engine has more power to give you at higher rpm, so vehicle should feel more peppy.
Lower-numbered gears (3.21) favor fuel economy while higher-numbered gears (3.73,4.1,4.56,4.88...) favor performance.

Your drive shaft is going to turn the same number of times for one rotation of the tire regardless of the tire size. So when you put on bigger tires and leave the gearing the same, the bigger tires turn less times per mile than smaller tires, so
the drive shaft turns less times per mile, so your rpm will be lower, so vehicle will feel less peppy.
Going with 3.73 is better if you plan bigger tires and don't plan to have extreme gears (4.88...) put in for $1500ish

Recommended reading - a book like
Four-Wheeler's Bible: 2nd Edition

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
So while driving, 3.73's drive shaft turns more times, so engine goes at a higher rpm. But the engine has more power to give you at higher rpm, so vehicle should feel more peppy.
Lower-numbered gears (3.21) favor fuel economy while higher-numbered gears (3.73,4.1,4.56,4.88...) favor performance.

Your drive shaft is going to turn the same number of times for one rotation of the tire regardless of the tire size. So when you put on bigger tires and leave the gearing the same, the bigger tires turn less times per mile than smaller tires, so
the drive shaft turns less times per mile, so your rpm will be lower, so vehicle will feel less peppy.
Going with 3.73 is better if you plan bigger tires and don't plan to have extreme gears (4.88...) put in for $1500ish

Also the 3.73 gears are better for towing, and the OP mentioned that he is getting the tow pkg so I am assuming he will be towing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Outstanding reply. 'Should be made a sticky.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, you are awesome!!! I got it ordered today, from Holzhauer Auto (Anthony Grawe salesman). Thanks to you and the forum I found this dealer! They gave me a square and honest deal right off the bat with no gimmicks. Since this Jeep is going to AZ with me I tried some dealers in Phoenix but they were all about games and gimmicks. They almost refuse to give you an "out the door" price and try to hide all the "fees" that they tack on after you buy. And thanks to you again I ordered the anti spin. I couldn't find the alpine option you all recommended but oh well! Thanks again and happy trails, doug
ps settled for red, still disappointed with the color choices......

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks everyone, you are awesome!!! I got it ordered today, from Holzhauer Auto (Anthony Grawe salesman). Thanks to you and the forum I found this dealer! They gave me a square and honest deal right off the bat with no gimmicks. Since this Jeep is going to AZ with me I tried some dealers in Phoenix but they were all about games and gimmicks. They almost refuse to give you an "out the door" price and try to hide all the "fees" that they tack on after you buy. And thanks to you again I ordered the anti spin. I couldn't find the alpine option you all recommended but oh well! Thanks again and happy trails, doug
ps settled for red, still disappointed with the color choices......
Awesome! Congratulations!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mmmm I'd say screw the funky but smooth LSD, trust the jerky BLD, drop the tow package and simply get the 3.73. In the end all that matters is that you are happy and as you will soon learn every Jeep owner has their own opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts