Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My mom is on her second wrangler. Now she wants a spare one to run around in, for them to take on the hunting club, etc. they have found a 98 with the 4.0. It has 176k miles. It's stick with a new soft top, lifted, and with mud tires. I'm not sure of the size because my parents don't know, but they look like 32s to me. The man has told them it is in great shape. Supposedly he's had it a year and used it for light trail rides. The owner before was in his 50s and towed it behind his RV a lot. The jeep was stock until he got it. He now has to get rid of it because they're having a new kid. The guy wants $6k. I can't go look at it as my parents are 1200 miles away. Anything they should know about issues or things to look for in a TJ? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Frame rot and look for leaks from all areas that contain fluids ^k is a good price as long as it is in good shape.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything though that the 98s or 4.0 specifically had issues with?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If your parents are looking at it tell them to check for frame rust right in front of the rear tires. It is a place I didn't look and I found some pretty bad rust on both sides.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my dad crawled up under it a couple of times and said he checked for rust. All looked well. Apparently the wheels are supposedly jeep wheels, but there are 33x12.5 tires on there. I'm hoping thats no issue. And the spare is on the tailgate hinge, not a seperate swing like most people do for overweight tires. They bought it. Got it for less than 6k. Dad drove it on the interstate said it went very well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Rust. Dump the silly mounted high-lift & tube step bars, then you've got yourself a nice runaround/hunt club cart:thumb: 6 grand ain't bad if she's mechanically sound.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rust. Dump the silly mounted high-lift & tube step bars, then you've got yourself a nice runaround/hunt club cart
6 grand ain't bad if she's mechanically sound.

Man I love the hi lift. Lol. Seriously. Ha ha. They're def dumping the tube step

1 - 12 of 12 Posts