Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I have always loved Jeeps ever since I was younger and it's my dream to own one. Currently, I'm in college and working full time. I've been saving (and sacrificing going out with friends..lol!) and budgeting. I have also been doing my homework on JK's and Tj's mainly for 2 years. I'm not sure if I should keep saving for a JK or go with a TJ right now. How much is too much for mileage for both? What is the best year(s) to stick with? This will also be a daily driver and I will be using it for some off roading on the weekends. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Big question: do you know what end of a screwdriver to hold onto? A big part of your decision, especially on a tight budget, is how much work on the Jeep are you willing and able to do yourself? If you need a $120/hour mechanic to change bulbs, you better go for the most pristine Jeep you can find. If you're comfortable up to your elbows in engine guts, you may find a killer deal on a Jeep that needs some work.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Welcome to the Forum notacreativeusername,

wristwister offers good advice.
By reading your post, I'm wondering if your pocketbook is ready to cover all the costs of vehicle ownership.

The initial cost of a vehicle is only part of the equation. There's tax and title fees, insurance, maintenance and repairs. Then there's gas, upgrades and little surprises, like the hidden defect that the seller didn't tell you about.

If you post the details about any considered purchase, other posters might be able to offer their advice.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I remember those days back in the late 70's. I had the knowledge and some tools to make repairs while on the road going to and from school and work. This was at a time when electronics were much less of an issue. If it was an electronics problem -plug the loose wire back in!

I had saved up enough to pay cash for the car, but needed to borrow for my full insurance payment which was 2/3 the price of the car ;)

I was living at home and had the use of a car to borrow if needed.

Your situation may differ. You may not have alternate transportation. Going out to the Jeep to head to work or school and having it not start and no alternate to get you to work or school on time can become an issue. If you are prepared for the worst case scenario then search for the Jeep you want.

My second vehicle purchase was a new car so I wouldn't have to be working on the car each day, week or month or cleaning out a fuel filter in the parking lot of the local grocery store just to get back home ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts