Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone.

I am new to the Jeep family. I will be taking delivery of a 2012 jeep wrangler sahara jk 2 door later this week. Been dreaming of owning a jeep for a couple of years and finally decided to bite the bullet.

The jeep seems to be in good condition and seems very well looked after. It has some aftermarket shocks fitted by the previous owner, unsure of what brand it is. It currently has 60 000 miles on it.

I can see that it was previously serviced at 53 000 miles, but unsure exactly what was done.

I am planning on doing a oil filter and oil change after receiving it before going to hit my first trail in my first of many jeeps 馃榿.

Question is, will it be worth it to also change the transfer case and differential fluid?

I am fairly capable with my hands so will be doing services and maintenance myself. Have read up about it and watched multiple YouTube videos on it.

Any advice of what else to also perhaps check will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone, sorry for the long post.:)

Registered
It wouldn't hurt to get them flushed if you are doing it yourself. Look at the diff covers for any sign that they have been opened before. Jeep used an adhesive for the gasket material. If you plan to do the diff flush again in the future get the solid gasket replacements and skip the mess.

The trans is probably fine, but doesn't hurt getting some new fluid. You didn't say if it's a 6 Spd or Auto. The 6 Spd will make a mess all over the crossmember

Registered
It wouldn't hurt to get them flushed if you are doing it yourself. Look at the diff covers for any sign that they have been opened before. Jeep used an adhesive for the gasket material. If you plan to do the diff flush again in the future get the solid gasket replacements and skip the mess.

The trans is probably fine, but doesn't hurt getting some new fluid. You didn't say if it's a 6 Spd or Auto. The 6 Spd will make a mess all over the crossmember
Not sure why he would need to take either of the diff covers off. Just remove the fill and drain plug (in that order), drain the diff or transfer case, replace the drain plug, fill to bottom of filler hole stop when fluid starts running out, replace filler plug. :)

RETIRED MODERATOR
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Yes, on the fluids, plus flush the Radiator, and install new 50/50 Mopar HOAT Antifreeze.

Registered
Good day everyone.

I am new to the Jeep family. I will be taking delivery of a 2012 jeep wrangler sahara jk 2 door later this week. Been dreaming of owning a jeep for a couple of years and finally decided to bite the bullet.

The jeep seems to be in good condition and seems very well looked after. It has some aftermarket shocks fitted by the previous owner, unsure of what brand it is. It currently has 60 000 miles on it.

I can see that it was previously serviced at 53 000 miles, but unsure exactly what was done.

I am planning on doing a oil filter and oil change after receiving it before going to hit my first trail in my first of many jeeps 馃榿.

Question is, will it be worth it to also change the transfer case and differential fluid?

I am fairly capable with my hands so will be doing services and maintenance myself. Have read up about it and watched multiple YouTube videos on it.

Any advice of what else to also perhaps check will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone, sorry for the long post.:)
Change all fluids for: trans - motor - brake - coolant - steering - gear oil - grease - windshield
You do not have much to worry about it at that mileage and so put something additives for your tank to clean combustion system (google it).

Registered
Welcome!! I got back in a Wrangler after owning a WK for 2 years. I have a 鈥12 as well. Welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Engine Oil and filter its a must.
Front and rear differentials I would do as well before the trail
Check oil level in gearbox and transfer case (before the trail), If ok I would suggest changing it but not urgent.
Brake fluid and coolant - check level/color, flush if needed.
Power steering check level/color.

Premium Member
Welcome Aboard and Congrats on the New Jeep!

Registered
General rule of thumb for me Is whenever I buy a used car I change all the fluids. especially if the car has 50k+ miles. I would try to do both diffs, trans fluid and transfer case fluid, You should be able to find fluid capacities HERE.

Registered
If you don't get records from the previous owner it might be possible to track down where it was serviced and find out what has or hasn't been done to it. Have fun.

Premium Member
Welcome. It would be well worth your time to go through the JK section and read about issues people have had just so you can be on top of any issues that might come up. You are going to love a Jeep. A Jeep is not a vehicle it is an experience and a joy to drive each time. I cannot wait for warmer weather so I can take off my doors and top which is going naked in Jeep talk.

Registered
Good on ya. I bought a 2012 Sahara in 2019 2 dr and LOVE IT! I took it to the Jeep dealer after purchase and told them to change ALL the fluids. They indicated some oh the fluids didn鈥檛 need to be changed ( can you believe a dealer to do that?). They also checked on any recalls and they told me what recall, when fixed, and did a fix on a minor recall. A good dealer, here. BTW, LHM in Riverdale, Ut. Have fun. This JK is definitely warmer ( and cooler) than the atv I used to have

Premium Member
Good on ya. I bought a 2012 Sahara in 2019 2 dr and LOVE IT! I took it to the Jeep dealer after purchase and told them to change ALL the fluids. They indicated some oh the fluids didn鈥檛 need to be changed ( can you believe a dealer to do that?). They also checked on any recalls and they told me what recall, when fixed, and did a fix on a minor recall. A good dealer, here. BTW, LHM in Riverdale, Ut. Have fun. This JK is definitely warmer ( and cooler) than the atv I used to have
Good to hear you had a good experience with LHM. The LHM in Bountiful is terrible. Years ago before LMH bought them they were Bountiful Jeep and they were great. Not so now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts