Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've just joined the forum. I'm in the process of buying a new to me (used) 2013 JK 2 door Sport. The one I'm keen on has about 20K miles and costs about $20K but it is the most base of models. Two mods I'd like to do is add heated seats and a hardtop for winter (I live in New England). I'm buying from a dealer. This will be my third Jeep but my first Wrangler. Should I negotiate to have the dealer do the heated seats? (Is it even possible to do in the 2013s?) Of course the dealer gave me the old "we can give you an aggressive price on a hard top" over the phone when called to ask about a discrepancy in their listing but I don't know what he considers "aggressive". What would you consider a good price on those modifications. It seems to be a great price even though it's a base model considering how low the mileage is. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,655 Posts
Keep looking. Heated seats primarily come on higher end models and can be a mild pain to install, but can be done. As for the top... I would simply ask them to include a new hardtop with the price. If they wont, walk way. Plenty of hardtops to be found.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Price seems high I remember people paying around $22-24K for a new sport back in '13, Sahara was around $28K and I paid $34K for my '13 Rubi and I'm in MA as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. That's interesting about the pricing. I can't seem to find anything under $20K for a 2013 or newer with under 50K miles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the input. That's interesting about the pricing. I can't seem to find anything under $20K for a 2013 or newer with under 50K miles.
Believe me, you probably won't. Interesting is that most will be in the price range that you stated, but usually with higher mileage. You have to assess whether they are equipped with a hard top or soft top, base Sport or Sport S and other options such as A/C and auto trans.

When I was shopping, I found 2 2013's for about $21k. One had a soft top with automatic trans, no A/C and the steel wheels with smaller tires. That one had 24k miles. Another had a freedom top with a 6-speed trans, A/C and the 30" tires with 5 spoke aluminum wheels. That one had 17k miles.

Both were Jeep dealerships in the northeast. I purchased the latter in December of 2016. Looking at new 2017 models, those equipped the same as mine are sticker pricing at $32k and the dealer is not very price accommodating, because they are in demand.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's really hard to find a Jeep with low miles, newer model year for $20k. I searched for nearly a year and couldn't find anything in that market. If you must have a JK and your budget is firm then you may have found as good of a deal as you're going to find. That said - you could easily get closer to the Jeep you want if you have $2-5k more in your budget. Also depends on whether you want to finance those additional features or if you want to save up and add them slowly. There are a lot of good higher model take offs posted in the WF and sometimes on CL (depending on your area/market).

If you're going for this Jeep:
--get the build sheet, research what's on it, know more about it than they do
--especially try to get the original window sticker as a reference for negotiating current price
--have the dealer mark down the price equivalent to the cost of a NEW hard top (I'm assuming they won't want to include a top in the deal)
--start out of the gate with what you want your out the door (OTD) final cost to be ($18k?)
--be prepared to walk away
--as they negotiate with you, keep coming back to what you wanted the OTD $ to be - they are going to compare their original price to the "deal" they are giving you ("we are knocking off $X") - so you also need to have a number for reference ("but your price is still $Y more than I want to pay"). Having your number will keep you grounded and will give you a non-emotional reason to be sorry that you have to walk if an acceptable deal can't be made.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good thing about be particular is that the longer it takes me the more money I'll have saved up and therefor will be able to afford exactly what I want. :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and just to add, the heated seats aren't a deal breaker. I've just never had them and thought it would be nice. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll let you know how it turns out. For now, the search continues.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
FYI- If you add a hard top to a Jeep that came with a soft top only, you'll also need to add the switches, wiring harness and plumbing to make the rear defrost and wiper work, or just live without that stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I'm going for a test drive on Monday! I've found another Jeep that has 40K miles for under $21K. I'm hoping I can get an out of the door price for $19K. It only has a soft top but summer is here so I can worry about finding a hard top over the next few months and before winter returns. It has power windows and locks which, the longer I searched, the more I realized I wanted that. I live in the outskirts of a city and when you park on the street power locks come in handy when you need to get into the vehicle quickly with cars passing by.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
p.s. what are y'all's thoughts on Commando Green color? I feel like I'll just really want to go nuts modding it to make it really bad ass.
:p

·
Registered
886 Posts
FWIW I bought my 2013 sport back in 2014 with 12,000 miles on it for 22,300. It's the most basic model with soft top and auto trans. I live in western NY so winter's about the same as you and I do not mind my soft top at all in the winter. The heaters in these jeeps are plenty good enough. I do have aftermarket seat heaters that I will be installing soon under some seat covers but that mod is strictly for those spring/fall nighttime doorless rides when it dips into the low 40s.

I like commando green!...I think most do. Good color for a jeep.

Edit: Being that you live in NE, whatever jeep you get make sure to pay for the undercoating if it doesn't already have it...trust me it's worth it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So I'm going for a test drive on Monday! I've found another Jeep that has 40K miles for under $21K. I'm hoping I can get an out of the door price for $19K. It only has a soft top but summer is here so I can worry about finding a hard top over the next few months and before winter returns. It has power windows and locks which, the longer I searched, the more I realized I wanted that. I live in the outskirts of a city and when you park on the street power locks come in handy when you need to get into the vehicle quickly with cars passing by.

Makes good sense about the power options.

If you have a mechanic you trust be sure to take it for a thorough independent inspection (if you're close to buying it). Get under the body and look for any rust (given you're in snow country). Angle for reduction in price if you find rust. Also, price out a hard top and use the absence of a hard top as a negotiating point for a lower price. Although you probably don't NEED a hard top for winter they don't need to know that.

Commando green is a pretty cool color, too! There's a thread about it on here.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/2013-commando-green-thread-174303.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
268 Posts
My advice is to skip the heated seats and install autostart. Then the whole Jeep will be nice and warm when you get in and you won't have to deal with a sweaty backside.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've never had a hard top and live in Chicago , similar climate in the winter. The nice thing about the inefficiency of the JK's engine is that it makes spectacular amounts of heat , very quickly compared to most modern cars. Like after 10 minutes you have to turn the heat off even in sub zero weather. If you want a vehicle with creature comforts the wrangler is generally a few years behind whats in the Audi's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ugh. I'm starting to feel dejected. I took a test drive last week and the dealer wouldn't budge on their price (not even $500). Now I'm feeling like I made a mistake by walking away as they sold it to someone else the next day. I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult to find what I wanted in my budget. I'm surprised at how few dealers are willing to negotiate even a little these days. And now my current Liberty is having mechanical issues EVERY DAMN WEEK. It's making me question getting another Jeep problem is Jeep is in my blood and I can't quit it! When I search nationwide it seems there are fair deals out there but apparently they are few and far between in Massachusetts. Sorry for the rant, just needed to decompress. I was hoping to find something by now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts