Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2013 JKU with a hard top. This is my first wrangler since I bought a YJ new when I was 18. I'm absolutely in love with my Jeep and now the mods begin.....
I want to buy a full soft top and have found a few options in Craigslist.
The fist one is still in the box (dual option) off of a 2012 for $650.
The second is a soft top off of a 2014 that was supposedly on the jeep for two months in perfect condition for $950.

Both say that it is premium tops. I thought they only did the premium in 2013 and up. Also I'm aware they upgraded to the cable/spring system in 2013.

My question is the upgrade in 2013 worth the extra money? Also any other advice you can give.
Disclaimer: I haven't met with either seller yet.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I have been a reader on this forum for the last month since we bought the jeep and this is my first post.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to get the seller down on price for the 2014 top.

I have a 2 door (which for some reason there are much fewer soft tops for sale on line then the 4 door) and just picked a 2013 top up used for one summer for $650. He wanted much more money, but I reminded him that he wasn't the only seller out there and if he wanted to get rid of it now I had cash in hand. He agreed and I now have it.

I did have to buy roll bar brackets as they were still on his jeep and he no longer owns it. People tend to remove the soft top from the frame and leave the brackets on the roll bar which are only for the soft top so be prepared for that unless the owner still has their Jeep then you can have them remove the brackets if they haven't already. They are 30 bucks each from the dealer so not cheap and the 4 bolts you need to attach the brackets are 9 bucks each!!..I got the dealer to give me the type and size and got the 4 bolts at Lowes for 3 bucks.

In any event good luck and don't feel guilty for trying to get the price down as people tend to just throw prices out there and don't look to see what the average price is that people are selling the tops for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to get all the facts before I started to haggle price. I just spoke with the 2014 seller again via email and it doesn't sound like its the premium cloth. I'm also looking for some input on how big of a difference the spring:cable upgrade makes. It's hard to tell from the videos I've seen.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I believe the spring assist makes it easier for one person to raise/lower the top where in the old design it was easier to have two people raising and lowering the top. I could be wrong but that's what I understood the new design to be for.

I did hold out until I could get at least a 2013 top because I wanted the new refinements.

·
Registered
2009 JK Sport tweaked a bit.
297 Posts
I believe the spring assist makes it easier for one person to raise/lower the top where in the old design it was easier to have two people raising and lowering the top. I could be wrong but that's what I understood the new design to be for.

I did hold out until I could get at least a 2013 top because I wanted the new refinements.
Spring assist give a tighter seal as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks that's very helpful also. Am I understanding correctly that the sunriser feature on the 13 and up doesn't require the Velcro strap to keep it in place?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So, VansMudder, are there two soft tops for the 2015? Sunrider and basic?
I believe the sunrider feature is standard but there are two types of soft tops one being the standard and the other the premium.

This is Jeeps own description of both types.

"The standard Sunrider® Soft Top features large rear windows, and is easy to store and open. With a convenient cable release, you can quickly let the sunshine in. The Jeep® Wrangler soft top is constructed from quiet and watertight 3-ply material and it completely folds down and tucks away when you want an open-air drive.

For top-of-the-line Wrangler air-in-your-hair good looks, opt for the Premium Sunrider Soft Top17. It adds durability and sound dampening for a quieter ride. Plus, a dust blocker helps keep your premium soft top in tip-top shape and always easy to wash."

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the sunrider feature is standard but there are two types of soft tops one being the standard and the other the premium.

"The standard Sunrider® Soft Top features large rear windows, and is easy to store and open. With a convenient cable release, you can quickly let the sunshine in. The Jeep® Wrangler soft top is constructed from quiet and watertight 3-ply material and it completely folds down and tucks away when you want an open-air drive.

For top-of-the-line Wrangler air-in-your-hair good looks, opt for the Premium Sunrider Soft Top17. It adds durability and sound dampening for a quieter ride. Plus, a dust blocker helps keep your premium soft top in tip-top shape and always easy to wash."
This is really thorough and maybe even helpful. I think?

My dilemma is having a new 2015 2-door with the intention of putting a power "MyTop" on it and wanting to sell the OEM top. I've had Wranglers since 1985 and have had both after-market BestTop and OEM soft tops that partially fold back over only the driver and passenger -- both were called "sunrider." Now, my new OEM top, which I want to sell, is called "sunrider" and no one in the local dealership knows if it's the fold-back type. To me, it appears to NOT fold back and appears to be exactly like the old soft tops that came on all Wranglers until JKs came along.

So what the heck is it? Want to buy it? :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well if it's a sunrider then it should have two sliders around the top of the drivers and passenger door, this allows the sunrider feature to be unlocked by sliding them back exposing the bendable joints so just the front portion of the soft top can be folded back.

·
Registered
37 Posts

OK. I braved the bitter cold and without opening a brand new soft top, I felt around to see if the hardware seems to be the hardware of the true "sunrider," with its fold-partially-back capability. The hinge-work is there. So, to answer my own question, the standard OEM soft top is, in fact, a good solid sun rider soft top. This is good news for someone wanting a new sunrider in NE Ohio!

And, VansMudder, thank you for listening and helping out!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently bought a used 2013 JKU with a hard top. This is my first wrangler since I bought a YJ new when I was 18. I'm absolutely in love with my Jeep and now the mods begin.....
The second is a soft top off of a 2014 that was supposedly on the jeep for two months in perfect condition for $950.

Both say that it is premium tops. I thought they only did the premium in 2013 and up. Also I'm aware they upgraded to the cable/spring system in 2013.

My question is the upgrade in 2013 worth the extra money? Also any other advice you can give.
I have been a reader on this forum for the last month since we bought the jeep and this is my first post.

Did you get your sun rider soft top yet? I have a OEM black soft top with less than 100 miles on it and plan to replace it with a power "MyTop" in a few weeks.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I just reread your post. "JKU?" I apologize. I don't have a nice new top for an Unlimited. It's a two-door sun rider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I pulled the trigger on the '14 slightly used Standard sunrider top with all the hardware. Talked the seller down from $950 to $600. From the look at other forums I'm might have over paid slightly. But the top was immaculate and I was tired of shopping around. I appreciate the input. It definitely helped in the decision making to go with the newer top.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Great to hear and now it just has to warm up so we can use them...That could be June in my case, it's been a horrible snowy cold winter here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No kidding. Although I live in South Carolina.....so hopefully won't be that long. I haven't even been able to take the freedom tops out yet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
And seeing your $600 price helps me, too. I'm north on Lake Erie and will figure on selling this sunrider for $500-600. Thanks!
If you haven't already then I would go to the for sale section of the forum and list your top, some one will always be looking for a 2 door soft top...not as many to be had as the 4 door ones.

When I was looking for mine there was always at least a dozen new 4 door soft tops available in my area but never a 2 door. I had to wait a couple of months for a newish one to appear so I doubt it will take long for you to sell yours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts