Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my 92 yj 2.5 in search for a 4.0 tj. Its going to be used for daily driving and the beach so i would be happy with a stock tj, but Im looking at one with a 4" lift and a ford 8.8 rear. Is there anything I should be looking for? I'm a little skeptical with the axle swap since I know a d35 is fine for what im using it for. Any advice?

·
Registered
481 Posts
So I sold my 92 yj 2.5 in search for a 4.0 tj. Its going to be used for daily driving and the beach so i would be happy with a stock tj, but Im looking at one with a 4" lift and a ford 8.8 rear. Is there anything I should be looking for? I'm a little skeptical with the axle swap since I know a d35 is fine for what im using it for. Any advice?
I would consider it a bonus, one less upgrade (replacing rear axle) you will have to do later. There are those that dog the 8.8 because of its size and slightly narrower width (about 3/4" per side) but I believe it is a good swap. Besides finding a D44 in my area for a reasonable price was next to impossible. Nothing out of the ordinary you need to look for regarding the 8.8. If its a good Jeep buy it. :thumb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would consider it a bonus, one less upgrade (replacing rear axle) you will have to do later. There are those that dog the 8.8 because of its size and slightly narrower width (about 3/4" per side) but I believe it is a good swap. Besides finding a D44 in my area for a reasonable price was next to impossible. Nothing out of the ordinary you need to look for regarding the 8.8. If its a good Jeep buy it. :thumb:
Thanks for the advice..I know its not a bolt in swap so I was a little concerned it could be installed improperly. Hopfully she is the one :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
just check the axle out and make sure the welds and such are good and that it was swapped in correctly because there is a lot of work that goes into the swap, currently working on one myself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts