Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a TJ sport (pictured) that is used as a 3rd vehicle. Had it about 6 months, and put maybe 1000 miles on it. I am thinking about selling it and getting a JKU. Besides rust anything to look for? What models are bad?

For usage, it will be 90% pavement, but may see some trails. Wife will be driving it too, so it will only get a small lift and 33s at the most.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Look for a 2012+ with the 3.6, I drove a 3.8 one and it was a big time dog. The 12's had a head gasket issue that was a recall fix I believe, so if it's a 12, check that the issue was resolved. Take it to a car wash and spray it down to check for leaks in the top.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention it will most likely be a 2007-2010. have a budget I have to keep.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention it will most likely be a 2007-2010. have a budget I have to keep.
Then just make sure you have the proper gears for the tire size you want and adjust the shift points with a tuner. Still check for leaks though, that was an issue for all years I believe. It is hit or miss, mine doesn't leak. You can also pull up the carpet on the passenger and drivers side floorboards to check for signs that water has pooled down there if you don’t want to take it through a car wash.

I am guessing since you're in GA that altitude isn't much of an issue. The only 3.8 I drove was in Denver so I had thin air.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Go for a 2010. Chrysler fixed all the little issues with the previous years.
Fixed the oil consumption 07-08 some 09
Newer type soft top with spring assist and no tuck rails over the doors
Sliding sun visiors
And its the year from 07-10 that has the lowest problems reported

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bought a 2011 used, I've had zero problems with it. Will I win any drag races? Hell no. But it gets me around just great. I do highly recommend taking it to shop you trust and have them inspect the rig thoroughly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts