Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently in the market for a 6-speed, stock(ish), rust free, Rubicon LJ. The thing might was well be gold plated because on websites like cars.com and autotrader there are less than 20 in the entire country. This has me thinking... If I could get a reasonably priced LJ I could easily do the work myself and make it what I want. It could be high milage, I'd just stroke it somewhere down the road. A regear, some lockers, a lift and I'm right where I want to be anyway.

What this all boils down to is the fact that there's nothing in my area that's rust free. LJ Rubicons? Forget about it, they're like unicorns around here so I've come to the conclusion that buying out of state (potentially sight unseen) might be my only option. Its something I never saw myself doing, but figured I'd throw it out to you guys and see who has some advice on it.

In the end, the deal would have to be pretty killer so I could address any unforeseen issues that arise, but even then am I being stupid? What do I do? Examine the carfax and ask to see under carriage pictures? I know what to look for in person. Am I nuts for even thinking about this?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
There are just too many un-trustworthy sellers out there. To me, it would worth the $500 to fly/drive out to see several in a specific area and drive one home.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Do the same as classic car buyers. Find one and hire a local shop to check it out. They normally charge a small fee, but worth it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I negotiated a deal on a sports car sight unseen. The car was in Wyoming, only about 200 miles from where I live, but I didn't want to drive up there to find out it wasn't what I wanted. I corresponded and spoke with the private party seller multiple times. I asked for specific photos so I knew they were current. Turned out the car was almost perfect and exactly what I was looking for. We negotiated a fair price contingent upon the car being exactly as represented and then I met the seller 1/2 way in the parking lot of a branch of my bank. Inspected the car, drove it, then when into the bank to get him a certified check. He had the clean title in hand. Worked out great.
I also sold my classic Triumph sports car to a guy in St. Louis. He responded to an online ad I posted. He asked for several unique photos which I sent him, we corresponded a bit and spoke on the phone. The buyer was unable to come to Denver to inspect the car because of a medical condition. He sent me a certified check for the entire amount and after letting it clear for about 3 weeks, I flew a friend of mine to Denver from St. Louis and he drove my car down there and delivered it. My friend parked his car in front of the guy's house, spent the night at his place and in the morning, the buyer gave him a ride to the airport. The guy loves my old car and he still keeps in touch with my friend that delivered it.

I share these two stories because it can be done, but you have to be very careful. If anything doesn't seem right, walk away. It works easier if the seller has the title in hand and you don't need to finance anything. I personally wouldn't finalize the deal without inspecting the car before paying for it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
One tip if you end up working with a remote seller or buyer, look them up on Facebook. You can tell a lot about a person from what they post there.

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
One tip if you end up working with a remote seller or buyer, look them up on Facebook. You can tell a lot about a person from what they post there.
good idea, but not 100%. i have groups set up so only regular friends see my common posts.

family only get the pg version

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I negotiated a deal on a sports car sight unseen. The car was in Wyoming, only about 200 miles from where I live, but I didn't want to drive up there to find out it wasn't what I wanted. I corresponded and spoke with the private party seller multiple times. I asked for specific photos so I knew they were current. Turned out the car was almost perfect and exactly what I was looking for. We negotiated a fair price contingent upon the car being exactly as represented and then I met the seller 1/2 way in the parking lot of a branch of my bank. Inspected the car, drove it, then when into the bank to get him a certified check. He had the clean title in hand. Worked out great.
I also sold my classic Triumph sports car to a guy in St. Louis. He responded to an online ad I posted. He asked for several unique photos which I sent him, we corresponded a bit and spoke on the phone. The buyer was unable to come to Denver to inspect the car because of a medical condition. He sent me a certified check for the entire amount and after letting it clear for about 3 weeks, I flew a friend of mine to Denver from St. Louis and he drove my car down there and delivered it. My friend parked his car in front of the guy's house, spent the night at his place and in the morning, the buyer gave him a ride to the airport. The guy loves my old car and he still keeps in touch with my friend that delivered it.

I share these two stories because it can be done, but you have to be very careful. If anything doesn't seem right, walk away. It works easier if the seller has the title in hand and you don't need to finance anything. I personally wouldn't finalize the deal without inspecting the car before paying for it.
That's an awesome story.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was in your shoes 6 weeks ago.
I had just sold my truck and wanted a lower mile Tj for 10k or less. I'm in South Dakota so there is pretty slim pickings and when I would find one with under 100k it would still be 12,000 or more, with rust too. I have a friend that has bought all his trucks in Texas for this very reason so I thought id expand my horizons a little and look farther south. I found my wrangler in garden city KS, farther south than I've ever been haha. It had 73k on it and was 9900. And zero rust. It had a lift and wheels/tires, lockers, bumpers, rock sliders and all. I wasn't crazy about buying a jeep that was lifted already for fear of it being trashed already but I called and asked and the dealer said it was a guy he knew that owned it and he had retired and decided he wanted a truck and camper instead. He gave me the previous owners phone number so I called and got the same story from him, and he said he had bought it bone stock at 66,000 miles a few years prior. but what I was really interested in was the accessories, he said all the aftermarket stuff was done 4,000 miles ago at a shop and he even texted a pic of the receipt that stated the miles and everything, that made me feel alot better about it. So I made a deal with them contingent on the fact that it was as nice as they said it was. And as luck would have it a guy I worked with was headed through garden city that coming weekend, so I even had a ride there. We left at 3am, got there at 1pm, and I drove it home and was home by midnight, loooong day. But all in all it was as nice as they said it was and now I have the most rust free vehicle I've ever seen in South Dakota, bolts I used to fight and have to heat up to get out just come right out now, totally worth not having any rust. I was sure to tell them that if I get all the way down there and it's not what you say it is I will be one pain in the ass haha. Be careful but there are good deals to be had even if there 500 miles away.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm in Texas and I can tell you that no matter how beat to crap a jeep may be in this area, they have zero rust. And that's a good starting point. Just yesterday on the freeway I saw a red LJ, bone stock and straight. Not a princess of a rig, paint slightly oxidized but a perfect specimen.
If you're looking for a rig for a long term relationship with, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the south even if pruchased sight unseen. Replacing an engine you hadn't planned on, wouldn't be fun, but more practical than replacing frames or tubs.
My advise, buy only from a jeeper. If they don't seem to know what a control arm is or a skid plate, I'd be reluctant to do business with them for two reasons. First, a jeeper is more likely to know the jeep's problems and willing to discuss them and secondly, I think they'll be less likely to screw over another jeeper

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You have the greatest asset right here. If you find something you're interested in go to the regional chapters of the forum and post up to see if a local member will go check it out for you.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you're smart about it I don't see reason why not. I've seen more than one or two guys round these parts fly from up north down south to score their dream jeep. My parents flew to Miami once for a mercedes & they drove that car for almost a decade.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I took a chance 7 years ago and go my TJ out of FL from a used car dealer. Had it trucked to NJ and it all worked out fine (granted had I known as much as I do about some of issues, i would have asked for more pics and asked a lot more questions.) My

1 - 15 of 15 Posts