Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
This YJ, and most YJs, are not going to be a “cruiser” without putting a lot of time, experience, and money into. You say that you are not mechanically inclined? You shouldn’t be buying a YJ.

$2k to start? All of the rust that you describe, this is a pos, don’t even consider it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This YJ, and most YJs, are not going to be a “cruiser” without putting a lot of time, experience, and money into. You say that you are not mechanically inclined? You shouldn’t be buying a YJ.

$2k to start? All of the rust that you describe, this is a pos, don’t even consider it.
I actually gotta disagree here. No offense of course but you can learn to wrench easily with a YJ. Leaf spring suspension is so easy to work on. Every screw, bolt, nut is exposed on a YJ. The 4 or 6 cyl is so basic in its design you could do an engine swap in a day.

I will agree with the rust. Unless you're looking to fully restore a yj, you might just skip on this one.

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
I just don’t think that people that self identify as “not mechanically inclined” tend to gravitate towards wrenching. There is a difference between a project and a cruiser.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
The question here is... is the OP willing to learn and is looking for an older vehicle to tinker with? If not, then maybe a YJ isn't the best choice. They are old. Any old vehicle will need a little more TLC than a newer vehicle. As stated above, they are very simple and would be a good vehicle to learn with if one is so inclined.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My thought was to find a forum member in the area of the jeep, they could stop by and check it out for you. A current yj owner.
But with all the rust, skip it. 4 cyl are easy to find.
Tinkering is fun, I do as much work on mine as I can, learning almost all of it from the great people on this forum.

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
395 Posts
Honestly the fact that it has a 4cyl alone is enough to deter myself away. No hate. It's a great engine from what I understand, but you'll always be wanting more from it. You're already going to be paying top dollar for the miles AND the stealerships price. Mind as well find a clean 6 cyl with a hardtop and 130k miles. My 4.0 has well over 230k on it and it purrs like a panther.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, I wouldnt like a 4 cyl, but some people are fine with it, especially if they are wheelin it. And a new top is more like $ 600-800

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 4cyl is fine for me, as it’s a pavement pounder that might someday see a trail. That’s Iowa for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Why do you want a YJ?

Has Logan grown any in the last few years? I lived in Logan for a short time about 11 years ago.

No if anything it has really went downhill. Most of the mines have shut down and few if any new jobs. By the time you take into the account of the drug problem mostly opioids and alcohol it is truely sad. To be honest I was born and raised here and if I didn't have 27 years in at my current job I would leave. That was the plan after my wife and I hit 55.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The question here is... is the OP willing to learn and is looking for an older vehicle to tinker with? If not, then maybe a YJ isn't the best choice. They are old. Any old vehicle will need a little more TLC than a newer vehicle. As stated above, they are very simple and would be a good vehicle to learn with if one is so inclined.

My father in law and I can troubleshoot and tinker but the photos on the jeep werent pretty. I believe the gas tank was in dire need of replacement so that meant changing it out as well as other part of the fuel system and I swear it looked like in one area the frame had a hole in it. It's too far of a road trip to go look at based on the photos. I take care of my father because of his health needs and that trip is a no go so I passed on it.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
My father in law and I can troubleshoot and tinker but the photos on the jeep werent pretty. I believe the gas tank was in dire need of replacement so that meant changing it out as well as other part of the fuel system and I swear it looked like in one area the frame had a hole in it. It's too far of a road trip to go look at based on the photos. I take care of my father because of his health needs and that trip is a no go so I passed on it.
Sounds like you made a good decision. Another one will turn up. Hopefully a better one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I loved my old 95 YJ. I drove it from the UK to Switzerland and ended up giving it away to someone I knew would love it. Still pottering around in Switzerland.

·
Registered
6 Posts
95 yj

I bought a 2002 TJ SE from a dealer in Montana (I live 11 hours away) and didn't see it in person until it was shipped to me. Rust was less of concern as Montana does not salt its roads, but I agree with all the comments about checking for rust. Also check Carfax as it may provide accident history. I had them run a compression test and send me the results and asked for pictures of the inside of the engine compartment and interior. I may have been lucky, but when it arrived it only needed new wipers and a new knob for the heater temp control. Good luck. My sister has an 88 YJ she bought new and loves it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found a 95YJ 5sp 4cyl for sale supposedly garage kept. It needs a new top. Supposedly has about 76K miles on it. My problem is I live 5 hours away so going to look at it isn't an easy task. The dealer claims it has no accidents blah blah blah. What do I need to ask over the phone before I talk $$$'s? I want this basically for a summer cruiser with a few mods to call it my own. My regular ride is an 18 Crosstrek.

This may be a mid life crisis since my wife passed away last summer after 25 years of marriage but I have always wanted a Jeep but the new ones are too expensive for my wallet.

Any insight and wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you want to know about the car, get the Vin number, go on line, and get the car fax.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tops

Speaking of tops, I bought a 97 Wrangler four years ago. It had a hard top and a brand new soft top. I had the hard top put on so I could get it home, and have never had it off again. I use the Jeep very little, primarily for winter driving where a soft top is not an asset. So I've got a four year old new soft top if anybody's interested. Fits 97 Wranger with full metal doors. Located near Terre Haute, IN. BTW, I've got the 4 cylinder engine and am quite happy with it, though it's a little gas hog. Mine has barely 80K miles on it, and things are wearing out more from age than from wear and tear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum brother. let us know what you decide. I have a 95 yj with the 4cyl. Best friend gave it to me last year. He was original owner. so far I'm into it for 2500. I did most of the work myself but paid a rust and body guy 1700 to do floor pans and other rust then he raptor lined inside. I got great advice on here. I'm almost done. I'm painting exterior with a 2nd coat of raptor liner next week. Good luck!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
EJM, Sorry for your loss. I lost my wife of 36 years 15 years ago. Fell in love with another wonderful woman 2 years later. We were together 11 years. She died 18 months ago. We all have our own crosses to bear......

You said the Jeep you are looking at has a hole in the frame. I would not buy it look for something else.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts