Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven jeeps in the past but I am getting ready for my first purchase. Looking at Rubicons 04-08. Since I don't have alot of off-roading experience (at least not in a Jeep) my thought was a stock Rubicon would more than take care of any occasional off roading I did.

However, I came across a heavily modified Rubicon- 5 inch lift, Smitty built front and back bumpers, 8,000 pound winch, Curry rock steering all around, Warn chromoly axles and hub, Heavy duty U joints, Adjustable lower arms, Dynomax exhaust, etc. Under 30,000 miles, and the guy is asking the same KBB as an unmodified Rubicon. Most of the stock Rubicons in my area all want several thousand over KBB.

I am torn...this is probably out of my league, and its unlikely that I'll ever do really serious off-roading (more likely trails, mud, and dealing with snow). More likely occasionally driving on errands for the wife. But its a really good deal. And it looks good. And on some level it appeals to my primal Jeep instincts.

I would have it checked by my local Jeep shop (carfax checked out already), but I'm concerned that a Jeep that has been that heavily modified has some serious wear and tear that might not be obvious. Jeep would be used only for fun and as a second car at a vacation home in Northern Michigan. Maybe when all my kids leave for college I would have time to tinker, but for right now I need something reliable that I can drive to the store and have some casual fun.

Did I mention its a great deal and looks great?

Thoughts? BTW, here is a pic.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If it checks out sounds cool. I am the least trusting guy you'll ever meet so I prefer stock but having it checked out first would help. MPG and power might suck if he didn't regear. Maybe that's why he's selling. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
how "great of a deal" is it? Have you test driven this Rubicon at highway speeds?

if your priorities are leaning towards using your Jeep for errands and driving to the store and occasional fun, then a stock Rubicon might be a better choice. Either way, good luck on your first Jeep.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
stock vs mod can be difficult.. its nice to start out with a clean slate.. but you can also get a good deal on a modded jeep if you know that the mods are things you would do to yours, you like the products used, and know that you may have to invest some $$$ to fix things that are wrong or that will go wrong. I have bought both, and I did save some money on the modded one.. not everything was great.. and some things needed changed.. but i knew that going in..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts