Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks,
I looking into buying my first wrangler unlimited and was looking for some feedback.

Little background: I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler since I was 14. Life unfortunately had a way of pushing that into the background. It was either money, time for wrenching or simple practicality pushing me in other directions. My kids are 13 and 14 , I have two dogs and I'm often in the mud or on dirt roads when I go flying RC airplanes with my son. The dogs are often covered in mud when they go swimming. Now its time to pick a new vehicle. We camp, we go fishing, looking to get into kayaking as well.

I retired form the Air National Guard where I was crew chief on the A-10. I'm 49, 6'3" and 285 pound man.

I took a test drive this weekend in a fairly well equipped Wrangler Unlimited sport S (soft top) and was in love instantly. My 13 year old was too. (comments all weekend like, Dad there birds are talking to you. Listen they are saying "Jeep, Jeep, Jeep", that gave me a clue.)

When asked what my requirements were, the only three that came to mind were a good stereo (with Bluetooth) , STD transmission and the ability to hose it out. I know in reality I have more I need to consider. This is where I'm asking for feedback.

I'm a dad and I have to be realistic my kids are going to learn to drive in this vehicle. Can the seats with side airbags get wet? Are the Tubular Side steps decent steal or would aftermarket ones be better?

I there are a lot of features. Are they all rugged or will they take away from the ability to get things wet\dirty?

Ok here is the oddball question. My wife has a strange disability where sudden changes of temperature (20 deg or more) can cause some allergic reactions (hives, itching skin). We live in CT so we get a range of temps. So I am probably going to have to get AC. My question is: Is the hardtop roof lining helpful with evening temps out in the winter?

Hey any help would be appreciated.

Terry

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like you'll enjoy a Jeep. I have a 2dr 15 manual. I have the soft top not hard, but in regarding your question about the top, mine is surprising good in Ohio Winters, and I do know they make insulation kits for the hard top.
Take your carpet out and cover the dash/steering wheel with plastic and you can hose it all out easily. I've left my top down in thunderstorms before, 3" in the floor pan lol. Nothing has effected the seats airbag so you should be ok with that regard. Hope this helps some.

·
Administrator
17,015 Posts
When asked what my requirements were, the only three that came to mind were a good stereo (with Bluetooth) , STD transmission and the ability to hose it out. I know in reality I have more I need to consider. This is where I'm asking for feedback.

I'm a dad and I have to be realistic my kids are going to learn to drive in this vehicle. Can the seats with side airbags get wet? Are the Tubular Side steps decent steal or would aftermarket ones be better?

I there are a lot of features. Are they all rugged or will they take away from the ability to get things wet\dirty?

Ok here is the oddball question. My wife has a strange disability where sudden changes of temperature (20 deg or more) can cause some allergic reactions (hives, itching skin). We live in CT so we get a range of temps. So I am probably going to have to get AC. My question is: Is the hardtop roof lining helpful with evening temps out in the winter?

Hey any help would be appreciated.

Terry

IMO

Stereo- save your money and buy aftermarket if that's important to you

STD trans-personally I couldn't stand Jeeps manual (I always had manuals) so I sold my manual after 9 months and ordered an auto. Don't want to start a manual/auto debate so I just suggest to drive both first.

Hose out- Just pull the carpet (I keep mine out) and hose out. Keep water off the dash, specifically the steering column.

Side airbags wet- I recommend Bartact seat covers, with them you have no worries. LINK LINK

Side steps- depends on how you plan on using them, factory ones are OK as a step but offer no rock protection.

AC/Hard top- AC is a great option, I haven't used the hard top liners but even without them you'll be OK.

Good luck! :thumb:

Welcome, glad to have you here!!!

:wavey: :welcome:

·
Registered
223 Posts
IMO

Stereo- save your money and buy aftermarket if that's important to you

STD trans-personally I couldn't stand Jeeps manual (I always had manuals) so I sold my manual after 9 months and ordered an auto. Don't want to start a manual/auto debate so I just suggest to drive both first.

Hose out- Just pull the carpet (I keep mine out) and hose out. Keep water off the dash, specifically the steering column.

Side airbags wet- I recommend Bartact seat covers, with them you have no worries. LINK LINK

Side steps- depends on how you plan on using them, factory ones are OK as a step but offer no rock protection.

AC/Hard top- AC is a great option, I haven't used the hard top liners but even without them you'll be OK.

Good luck! :thumb:

Welcome, glad to have you here!!!

:wavey: :welcome:

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/thealiendrummer/media/1 Jeep OM/WELCOME3.jpg.html
Agreed on the manual transmission. This is my first auto Jeep, but I couldn't stand the manual in the 2015 and traded for an auto 12 months later. Clutch and throttle drive by wire is just laggy and not fun.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Terry, Thank you for your service and welcome to the jeep sickness! I'm in NY, don't do any wheeling with the jeep or anything crazy. Camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, take the dog out blaablaabla. Here are a few items that were game changers for the wife and I....

Headliner does help, Bartact seat covers, grab handles, Misch Boy Brackets, Star Fabricating Smart Door hinges, ProClipUSA Phone mount, put down rear seat headrests, spacers to tilt back seat, support for middle of back seat, hood latches, tint and Weathertechs.

I may be missing some, but don't have my spreadsheet in front of me. All the best and feel free to ask any Q's. It's a great forum; some trolls, but mostly everyone is amazing and ridiculously smart. The search option will soon become your best friend. 99% of any questions you'll ever have have already been discussed at length.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up the manual Trans. I am going to have to go drive one I guess :) (breaks my heart to have to do this).

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Like Blue Baby said - we don't want to start a manual vs. auto thread because they get ugly fast. Just adding my 2 Cents that I love my 6-speed std, it's been both my DD and my mountain wheeling toy for two years now. "Nuff-said" on that; dirve them both and see what you like.

The Hard Top liners make a big difference in sound as compared to my buddy's with no liners, can't speak to temp as I put them in right away, but makes sense that they would insulate a bit better.

I've driven home in rain storms without doors with no ill effects (other than a ton of cleanup).

Post pics of whatever toy you go with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Like Blue Baby said - we don't want to start a manual vs. auto thread because they get ugly fast. Just adding my 2 Cents that I love my 6-speed std, it's been both my DD and my mountain wheeling toy for two years now. "Nuff-said" on that; dirve them both and see what you like.

The Hard Top liners make a big difference in sound as compared to my buddy's with no liners, can't speak to temp as I put them in right away, but makes sense that they would insulate a bit better.

I've driven home in rain storms without doors with no ill effects (other than a ton of cleanup).

Post pics of whatever toy you go with.
The manual vs auto discussions do indeed get very ugly, I drive a manual myself and can't imagine anything else. But it is a good idea to test both, you may love or hate the manual, if it has 3.21 gearing you will probably hate it tho. Jeep should be ashamed of even thinking about putting that low of gearing on it, makes first gear a bit difficult to get used to (coming from 7.4 V8 turbo diesel f250 with enough torque to tear a jk in half, everything seems under powered tho lol)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i have the hard top without the liners and the jeep gets plenty warm in the winters and plenty cool in the summers. the jeep has a strong heating and cooling system compared to what else is out there. in fact, the heat output in my jeep is the best of any vehicle i have owned. a/c is pretty strong too, though my old honda civic could become a little mobile ice box if i kept the a/c on long enough haha

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok here is the oddball question. My wife has a strange disability where sudden changes of temperature (20 deg or more) can cause some allergic reactions (hives, itching skin). We live in CT so we get a range of temps. So I am probably going to have to get AC.
I wasn't able to confirm this independently, but here's something to give a thought to:

I test drove two different Jeeps on the same day - one with just AC, the other with "climate control". The one with AC stood in the shade when I started driving it, but it was barely able to keep up with the sun (AZ sun, but given your requirements, this may be irrelevant). The one with the climate control, identical color, stood in the middle of the blacktop parking lot, all heated up (I just moved from the first Jeep to the second), but it had no problems dealing with heat.

I wonder if the AC coils are the same on "AC" and "climate control" versions - anyone to confirm/deny?

A bit offtopic question - are all ACs on Jeeps born equal? I know other manufacturers make different capacity ACs for different regions - but you gotta dive really, really deep into the build sheet to find that out, they may not ever disclose it in marketing or sales materials.

My question is: Is the hardtop roof lining helpful with evening temps out in the winter?
My educated guess would be yes.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I wasn't able to confirm this independently, but here's something to give a thought to:

I test drove two different Jeeps on the same day - one with just AC, the other with "climate control". The one with AC stood in the shade when I started driving it, but it was barely able to keep up with the sun (AZ sun, but given your requirements, this may be irrelevant). The one with the climate control, identical color, stood in the middle of the blacktop parking lot, all heated up (I just moved from the first Jeep to the second), but it had no problems dealing with heat.

I wonder if the AC coils are the same on "AC" and "climate control" versions - anyone to confirm/deny?

A bit offtopic question - are all ACs on Jeeps born equal? I know other manufacturers make different capacity ACs for different regions - but you gotta dive really, really deep into the build sheet to find that out, they may not ever disclose it in marketing or sales materials.

My educated guess would be yes.

when you say "climate control" I believe you are referring to what is on the Sahara right? the climate control system on that just allows you to pick a desired temperature, vs the red/blue dial. it does have a humidity sensor though, so the system can dehumidify and cool as separate functions (similar to those more expensive wall air conditioners vs the cheapy window ones). the dehumidify function can't be independently controlled via your inputs, rather the system will dehumidify on its own once the system is turned on

if you were to take a sahara and a sport and put the A/C temp to the lowest level (lowest temp on sahara and farther blue on sport dial), the A/C will cool the same

for a definite technical explanation, you would probably want to reach out to Dodge which is where the system likely was used from. Jeep had nothing to do with the design, they just threw it into the trim levels they wanted.

·
Registered
353 Posts
when you say "climate control" I believe you are referring to what is on the Sahara right?
Not the one that comes default on Sahara. I just looked at jeep.com's interior options configurator, what I referred to as "climate control" is what they call "Air Conditioning with Automatic Temperature Control" (a $395 option).

the climate control system on that just allows you to pick a desired temperature, vs the red/blue dial.
I may be wrong, but I believe this systems controls the BTU output, whereas the more advanced (and expensive) system keeps the temperature constant.

I must say that I have no idea where those sensors are and how good is the climate control at keeping tabs on the perceived temperature, but, to reiterate what I said above, it feels like it's doing a much better job than the default system on max output.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought it today ! I got it fairly basic with the 6 sp Manual. I drove STD and Auto then my wife drove STD then Auto we both agreed we like the manual transmission better. I did go with a soft top. We really liked the one we test drove (it also had all the other features we wanted except the hard top). We joked that it called to us. I said to the sales person as we were getting ready to walk to the other one. Don't bother this is the one we want. Time to get a few accessories.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bought it today ! I got it fairly basic with the 6 sp Manual. I drove STD and Auto then my wife drove STD then Auto we both agreed we like the manual transmission better. I did go with a soft top. We really liked the one we test drove (it also had all the other features we wanted except the hard top). We joked that it called to us. I said to the sales person as we were getting ready to walk to the other one. Don't bother this is the one we want. Time to get a few accessories.
Congratulations! Now time to spend even more$$$ and start modding:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just to add some info about the 6spd.

When I found mine, it was a little tough to shift on the test drive. Told them I wouldn't drive it unless the changed the MTF. They changed it, drove much better. But then Traction Control
Happened.

The JK has the most intrusive Traction Control ever. When trying to get out into traffic, I was nearly stuck several times as the Jeep would apply breaks while I tried to accelerate. Then, as I would continue to make my first > second shift it would hold the brakes. VERY ANNOYING.

I pulled my ABS pump fuse to disable Traction Control. Haven't looked back since, 2yrs 55k and will never look back.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Purple wire with light blue stripe. Under the center console by the shifter. Cut it and install a momentary switch. Kills tcs until you cycle the key. When you don't want it just press a button and Bam! It's off. If you like it off full time then the fuse is for you, but if you only want it off sometimes then do the switch. It's easy and cheap and very effective.
But yeah the tcs is very invasive, Overkill if you ask me, triggers when I fly over rr tracks and then won't let me accelerate for a few seconds, and don't even get me started on donuts on ice in the winter, I know the tires are sliding, STFU tcs and leave me to my fun!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts