Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing my first real car(I've been using my parents old car) and I'm in love with the wrangler. I'm looking at 1995-1997. I would really like a 97 but my budget will dictate that ? I'm wondering if I should get a 4 cylinder or 6. I won't be driving on the highway, just around town. I'll also be doing some moderately tough off roading, and mudding, and I'm planning to lift a few inches and get some nice tires (eventually) Would the four be enough? Also, is it worth buying a four and saving up to swap to a 6 or should I just hold out for a 6? Also, what are some key things to look for in a 97 when buying used?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would go with a TJ, so 97-06. I found my 99 with 50K miles for $6800. That was from Ohio and I live in WV. I have a 4 cylinder and am fine with because I don't plan to lift but a 6 cylinder seems like it would suit your needs better so just hold out for that. Be patient and look for private sellers because you always get more car for your money. Just look for rust on the frame and be weary of heavily modified Jeeps because some people really like to cut corners.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go ahead and save up to buy a 6cyl. The 4cyl will be terrible after you lift it and put larger tires on it. One of the main things you want to look for on a jeep is rust, EVERYWHERE. Check the frame, floorboards, rocker panels, aywhere you can see. Here is a list I found online a couple years back when I bought my first wrangler. Goodluck! Also try to go with a 97. The TJ is much better than the YJ, mostly because they have coil springs and not leaf springs like the YJ's.

1. body damage, tap around the jeep

logo and the fenders for bondo.
--Oil leak on main seal
--finger in frame hole, feel for paint
2. Check for rust, Under carpet, floormates, by drain plugs the side wall inside where the jeep logo is, theengine compartment under the master brake cylinder, shock mounts, axel mounts, gas tank

rust, wheel wells, tranny cross member and the bottom of the frame.
3. Make sure all doors seal, open, and close properly from both sides (yes i said both sides).
Check under the dash for water markes, as the fire wall and windshield are know for leaking.
4. Check the fluid levels.
5. Check the battery for corrosin
6. Make sure the horn, key, and steering wheel

all work right.
7. Make sure you have all the proper keys, Door's half/full, the glove compartment, back tail gate, lock box's, Wheel lug lock keys, wench start key, ect.
8. Tops Learn how to take it off if its a soft top have them show and check for missing parts.
hard top check the back windsheild struts, check the fiberglass for cracks, the bolt holes for wear, and that there is a seal bettween the body and top.
Soft Top Check for day light, Rips, Stiches coming out, are the windows clear and free of scratches or foggy? can you un-zip and re-zip the windows and the zipper is not off track. Are the button clips okay, and are the side plastic door/front windshield mounts cracked?
9. Dose all the enternal electronics work. Radio, lights, cigarret lighter/12v aux power, fan, heater, vent cable opens easily?
10. Petal's fell okay clutch esp.
11. Check the roll cage and windshield to see if the vehical was ever rolled.
12. inspect the differantal's, oil pan, axels to see if they liked to rock crawl.
13. Inspect the window frame and the seal's for age, crack's, or rust.
14. Look at the tire tread and there side walls for off roading

wear.
15. Check the exhuast system for rust, leaks, hole's, dent's, ect.
(I got my buddy a jeep real cheap because the lady selling it thought there was something wrong with theengine

. really one of the U-bolts had came lose and it had an exhuast leak. so it was idleing ruff, sounded bad, and had trouble starting due to bad back pressure. He got it for a steal and all we had to fix was a u-bolt LOL)
16. Brake and hydrolic lines for dents
17. Walk around it again and wiggle everything. listen for noise's feel for movment, ect

Test drive it, Run threw every gear at every RPM range, test the low and high 4X4, brake hard from 60mph, turn on all the lights and brights, make turns in 4X4-normal juttering is expected on a 90 degree turn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I do like the tj much better I'll just have to be patient. Hopefully I'll be in my jeep soon!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
WOAH,WOAH,WOAH

while what you like better is certainly personal opinion, I don't think one can just say the TJ is better. I and many others actually prefer YJs. They are easier to work on, cheaper to lift and of course look cooler. YJs can also be found a bit cheaper (just a bit).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much any jeep. I've driven a few of both, and I personally like the TJs just a bit better, but I could could get down with a good YJ I guess right now it's down to my budget and what kind of deal I find

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much any jeep. I've driven a few of both, and I personally like the TJs just a bit better, but I could could get down with a good YJ I guess right now it's down to my budget and what kind of deal I find
I too loved my YJ when I had her....and I love my TJ now...but am holding out for an LJ. Us Wrangler owners are never satisfied!! :):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOAH,WOAH,WOAH

while what you like better is certainly personal opinion, I don't think one can just say the TJ is better. I and many others actually prefer YJs. They are easier to work on, cheaper to lift and of course look cooler. YJs can also be found a bit cheaper (just a bit).

Why do you prefer YJs?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I assume its because i am old:) That is about it. I have one of each and yes the TJ ride is better but the YJ just feels a little Jeepier. In my case that also has something to do with the YJ being my sons and the TJ being my daughters also. There is the fact that YJs are easier to work on. Lifts are cheaper for leafs...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fair enough. Other than being cheaper and personal preference, is there anything mechanically or otherwise better about the YJ?

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Cap0913 - I am sure that by now you know the '95 was the last year of the YJ and the '97 the first year of the TJ. No 1996 model year Wranglers.

The YJs have leaf springs in the front, a very spartan interior if it has A/C it is the under dash box. The TJs are more refined, coil springs in the front, the windshield slopes back a bit more and have better on the road handling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*! Also, I'm definitely looking at either a 95 or 97. What kind of mileage should I be looking for? I've heard people say that what matters more is how well the jeep is kept up, not the mileage

·
Registered
519 Posts
Condition is much more important. You are talking about 20 year old vehicles. I would be concerned if one only had 30000 miles. Because of mechanical failures and bigger tires ect, the likely hood the odometer is correct is slim anyways

1 - 17 of 17 Posts