Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No feed back at all with 78 views? Rough crowd tonight I guess. Some one has to have some input on this. Any info helps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 6 cylinder, find out if in fact there are Dana 44 for rear differential , check for body rust (frame) looks clean , good year, might be a tad bit too much miles for a 2004 but it still has a long way to go, check if seats are in good shape, any leaks and stuff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take it to your local shop and have them check it out. It will be 50 bucks or so, then negotiate on price from there. I picked up my 03 X last year and it was 9700. I replaced the front sway links and steering stabilizer.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Ill sell you a 2002 auto with 69k for just a little more :p

·
Registered
607 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 6 cylinder, find out if in fact there are Dana 44 for rear differential , check for body rust (frame) looks clean , good year, might be a tad bit too much miles for a 2004 but it still has a long way to go, check if seats are in good shape, any leaks and stuff
Wrangler X means rear dana 35. I would know, unfortunately...:rofl:

Don't let that push you away if the price is right though.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Wrangler X means rear dana 35. I would know, unfortunately...:rofl:

Don't let that push you away if the price is right though.
X2. I started with a stock 2004 X automatic. I paid $16K for it in Jan of '06. It was perfect and had 11,000 mls on it.

Unless it is a Rocky Mountain Edition, it will have a D35 rear end and 3.73 gears with the 42rle auto. Not enough gear for even stock size tires, IMO.

So, if you want larger tires....aside from lift, brakes, and other needed items to fit them, you will have to deal with gearing at some point.

Regearing is expensive. Re-gear and upgrade the D35? (I did not want to sink money into mine) Swap out an 8.8 or D44 and regear the Jeep?

Quite the conundrum. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting it for $8900. Its really clean, straight body, strong engine, tight steering. Even though its automatic, I really like it. Its tough separating from my manuals, but it will be a fun new experience.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. You will like the auto especially when you go start climbing obstacles. It will be smoother and easier then with a stick. And that will make it easier on your Dana 35.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your feed back. What part of new Mexico are you from. I grew up in the northern part. (Espanola and chama)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought 04 X I6 5 speed with 69k. Came with 33's and a 4" lift. OTD price was 19k. I've taken it out most weekends since I bought it and haven't had a single problem. Even with the 30/35 combo and stock gears I can cruise down the highway and keep up with traffic. Off road it's great I've yet to get stuck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.