Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased their new Wrangler outside of the state you live in site unseen? I am very close to doing this...but am a little reserved, obviously.

Just wanted to get a feel if others have done this and if they were happy with their decision or have any advice looking back.

Thanks all

·
Registered
655 Posts
No problem whatsoever! Each state handles the sales tax a bit different, but one can save a lot of $$ finding that dealer who discounts the most. Some dealer's collect your home state's tax and send it, others have you go to the local DMV and pay it yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought mine in Idaho at Dave Smith Motors, they did all the paperwork for my home state
and even set up for me to pick up my plates at a DMV office of my choice back in
Washington State. If you buy there they can ship your jeep to you also. They have the
biggest discounts I have found anywhere. Keep in mind you have to satisfy your home state tax requirements. But They took care of all of that for me, they sent me a quote
on a purchase order online and I accepted via email. My local dealer was pissed because I took several test drives on different days and bought elsewhere. But I got just around
invoice pricing. Plus no waiting. My local dealer had only 4 door mall crawler's and Dave Smith has a huge inventory to choose from. Or you can also order for same discount. That
was my experience, YMMV... : ) Most of the jeeps there are ordered with heated seats, mirrors and block heaters. Which of course is fine by me in Washington state. Or they can upgrade at the dealer to heated seats or Katzkins Leather if you want. If you are
looking to buy out of State give then a shout, find out what you want locally and before you
buy they can send you a quote on one via email. good luck!!

Try this guy. They work weekends to.
Swany Swanson [email protected] 1 (800) 635-8000 ext 1354
Dave Smith Motors Kellogg Idaho

·
Registered
64 Posts
No problem whatsoever! Each state handles the sales tax a bit different, but one can save a lot of $$ finding that dealer who discounts the most. Some dealer's collect your home state's tax and send it, others have you go to the local DMV and pay it yourself.
Thats correct, thats what I found in my research, some do and some let you go pay it once you go get it registered in that state. I am in Vancouver Wa, so I was looking in Portland Or as well as Vancouver. I ended up in a third state. But they did most of their sales out of state and they did everything for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I get the tags having to be done in your home state.

But the tax I don't get shouldn't that be in the state that it is sold in, unless they are shipping it to you.

I mean yea if I order something and it is shipped to me I pay local taxes. But, if I go to a store in another state because my local one doesn't have it I pay that states taxes not mine.

... tax laws are dumb

·
Registered
655 Posts
I get the tags having to be done in your home state.

But the tax I don't get shouldn't that be in the state that it is sold in, unless they are shipping it to you.

I mean yea if I order something and it is shipped to me I pay local taxes. But, if I go to a store in another state because my local one doesn't have it I pay that states taxes not mine.

... tax laws are dumb
No, you are taxed in the state it will registered in. Same as having something shipped to you. The tax follows the product. I did have one odd situation with Ohio. They insisted on giving me an Ohio title. Took the title to the local DMV and paid -0- sales tax. I didn't complain about it, but just said thank you and left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts