Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In over my head on this one, but its probably elementary to anyone with electrical experience.
Can't have both my fog lights and non-stock Kenwood head unit connected with out the canbus I presume killing power to the stereo causing it to reboot all the time. Disconnect the foglight wiring and stereo is fine for the most part (its not using the foglights, just having the two things wired in at the same time).
So I'd like to move the power lead feeding one or the other to just a relay I think you would call it, and then have that relay when triggered run power directly to either the stereo or lights.
Is there something like this I can just walk into Radioshack and buy and then splice it into my wiring?
Any help is appreciated!
-Pete

·
Registered
698 Posts
HERE it is

Go to the Auto Parts house, ask for an Ice Cube Relay, under $5.00
Looks like this

some #12 wire and connectors to fit Relay
Then follow this

If you follow that (it's simple) You'll have what you want / need.
You need the #12 wire to run to pin #30 from Bat + & from Pin
# 87 to Fogs, and from pin #86 to Ground. The Trigger pin # 85
can be much smaller wire, even 22 gauge.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
^x2 except I jumper #30 to #85 and use ground, #86 as trigger/switch. Eliminates need to tie into positive power in cab!

·
Registered
698 Posts
If that works for you, fine, BUT it is not the correct way for hooking up a Relay.
AND NO NEED to get your Trigger from in the Cab, use the Positive that is
Originally hooked to one of the Fog Lights as your Trigger Wire, and insulate
the other. What you have done by doing this, is your Fogs will work the same
as before, EXCEPT ~ the Orig wiring is not requiring such a large AMP draw,
Which is the cause of the issue ppzi is trying to resolve.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, though oops always makes me nervous.
With this ice box relay, am I putting that in an empty slot somewhere? I had the idea I would get a little box that the current current wold run through for the lights, but when active would connect a direct to the battery power wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts