Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around the WF, since april, but never had the money/ time to lock down my 1st deal. I will most likely take the advice from the folks around here, plus test drive, of course.

Since I'm starting my own policy, which ain't going to be cheap...$700/ 6 month
My budget is pretty limited to $8000. It's going to be my first car of any kind.
So please let me know if any of the the lift, mods will affect it being a DD.

Also, I will prefer not to have a 4 banger if I can, but given the money I can dump I'll go for a 2.5L if I have to.

- Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
This one got a few dings on the fender and corners, I don't know if they counted as sign of rust. a general question I have is also: how/ where to check rust on the jeep? what counted as rust? anything looks red/ rusty? Or some of them is just the surface, coz I saw some jeep got "rusty" color on the axle but are still being called no rust.

- Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
This is a 4 banger. Look closer on the 2nd pic, the rear paint looks lighter than the front/ actual color of yellow. I don't know if the lighting caused this. Or did this color fade actually happens to Jeeps..

Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
- Seems to have plenty of extras, but then again, 4 cylinders. And I ain't sure how much MPG will it bring. DD unfriendly?

These, below, are a little over my budget, but if many people think the good way overrides the extra dough I have to put down, I may consider it too.
(from the dealer)Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
(4' lift, but low miles) Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
(More miles in comparison, cost more, but plenty extras)Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com
(6cylinder, 4.2L, engine rebuilt?)Jeep Wrangler | ksl.com

This is pretty much all I can find around the area.

Thanks yall. I appreciate all the comment tremendously.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nothing wrong w a 2.5, especially if it has 4.10/4.11 gears. A 2.5 w 4.1's will get around 18-20mpg in the city. I would not buy a 2.5 unless it had at least 4.10's. When it comes to off roading, both jeeps are equally capable. Get what you can afford, make sure theres no major rust issues or leaks and you should be fine. Exhaust leaks can be fixed but if buying from dealer, make them fix it.
Good luck w finding the perfect jeep for U

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dude, you have jeeps listed above from 93 and 94 that have 110,000 miles on them. It's all the same. You will be working on any jeep you buy. The motors will last forever but at some point, you will be replacing water pumps, power steering pumps, ignition coils, shocks, brakes and so on.
At 4,000$ for a stock jeep in great condition, I would take it over any of the jeeps u listed at $7,000...... I guess if you like the older YJ's, it might be worth the extra 3,000 for the jeep. At your price range, I would be looking for a stock well taken care of TJ.

·
4 Little Squirrels
717 Posts
Personal opinion from owning a 2.4. I had one and when I had it I used to swear by them and tell everyone that you'll be fine with one. I now own a 4.0 and I warn everyone from getting a 4cyl if you ever plan on driving any highway. I absolutely hated driving highways. I say as a last resort go for a 2.5/2.4 but its well worth the wait to get a 4.0. You'll enjoy it MUCH more.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Dude, you have jeeps listed above from 93 and 94 that have 110,000 miles on them. It's all the same. You will be working on any jeep you buy. The motors will last forever but at some point, you will be replacing water pumps, power steering pumps, ignition coils, shocks, brakes and so on.
At 4,000$ for a stock jeep in great condition, I would take it over any of the jeeps u listed at $7,000......
X2 Thats 98 you posted is a great choice. Price wise for sure!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have owned a yj and a tj. My yj was a six, my tj a 4. My 4 cylinder gets better gas mileage, my acceleration w 31 inch tires and 32's is great on my 4cylinder but I also have 4.11's and a rebuilt motor that I built. If I was to buy again and used, I would buy the best deal I could find but I think I will be keeping my current tj for its life. Both engines are great. I had 220,000 on my YJ.
As I stated, I would not buy a 4 cylinder unless it had at least 4.11's.
I wouldn't be buying a 6 cylinder with Crappy gearing either unless it was a great deal and I had cash set aside for a 're gear. It will have horrible gas mileage and be a slug off the line if u have sorry gearing

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Does that mean, you won't or can't put Biggass tires on a 4cyl? Since it will need a regear?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually most 4 cylinder wranglers you find are better geared for larger tires. I've got 33 x 12.5 on my 4 with stock gearing. If you go 35s look in to 4.88 gears and stronger equipment

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ok. Does that mean, you won't or can't put Biggass tires on a 4cyl? Since it will need a regear?
I had a guy trade me a new set of 33's for a set of stock tires with about 3/4 tread because he said the 33's killed his 4 cylinder..he had 4.10 gears

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got 4.10 in mine and it doesn't run any different from when I had 30s. Only diff is the speedometer reading. Wish I could find a deal like that

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I've got 4.10 in mine and it doesn't run any different from when I had 30s. Only diff is the speedometer reading. Wish I could find a deal like that
oh,the deal was actually sweeter than that..the 33's were mounted on very nice new 10 inch aluminum wheels..my tires were mounted on factory gambler type wheels.I turned around and traded just the new aluminum wheels for a set of new 37 inch good year military tires that I am running on the cj7 pictured in my avatar

·
Registered
131 Posts
harleydragon said:
oh,the deal was actually sweeter than that..the 33's were mounted on very nice new 10 inch aluminum wheels..my tires were mounted on factory gambler type wheels.I turned around and traded just the new aluminum wheels for a set of new 37 inch good year military tires that I am running on the cj7 pictured in my avatar
10 inch wheels??? I've never even heard of that but if you were able to trade them for the 37s that the military uses that's great. I'm always looking at the tires of our trucks thinking man I want those on my TJ

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
10 inch wheels??? I've never even heard of that but if you were able to trade them for the 37s that the military uses that's great. I'm always looking at the tires of our trucks thinking man I want those on my TJ
I think he is referring to 10" wide.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
10 inch wide....15 inch wheels...yeah,to me they are great tires.I have run them for years on work trucks..some of these guys say they are too heavy..I say they are heavy duty..my cj has 1 ton axles,4.56 gears and a 400 horse 350 pulling them so they suit me fine

·
Registered
131 Posts
harleydragon said:
10 inch wide....15 inch wheels...yeah,to me they are great tires.I have run them for years on work trucks..some of these guys say they are too heavy..I say they are heavy duty..my cj has 1 ton axles,4.56 gears and a 400 horse 350 pulling them so they suit me fine
Nice setup and yeah that's how I see it. If you have the equipment to run it then why not run it. I'm sure they are heavy for most stock motors but a 350 with 1 ton axles shouldn't have a problem at all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts