Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum and been looking for a Jeep for about a month now.

I'm in the UK and there aren't too many about but i've found one I like the look of.

It's a Wrangler TJ 1997, 4L manual, Sahara, hard top. It's listed at £7500 (about $9000) (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904297444740)

I've had it checked over by a professional mechanic prior to purchasing to identify any potential issues and would like to get some advice from owners based on the report.

There are a couple things in there that stand out but the biggest one I can see is Corrosion on the fuel line. Whilst there aren't any known leaks from this I can see it being a problem in the future and would prefer to get it sorted but I can't seem to find the replacement part anywhere. Would there be other options for repairing or replacing this?

I may also need to look at replacing some part of the suspension as it is farily worn/corroded in places causing stability issues.

Most of the rest of the issues are age related wear/corrosion though there is evidence of a small radiator coolant leak.

I've attached the full checklist (pdf).

I guess overall I am asking if it looks to be in reasonable condition for it's asking price and if the main areas of concern are easily rectifiable or if they'll break the bank and I should keep looking.

Here's a couple of images too:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Can you get close-up photos of the engine bay, suspension and underneath?

Not saying the mechanic is wrong, but some places have been known to make things look worse than they really are. They give a report that might help negotiate a lower price based on condition, which could be good for you negotiating as a buyer, in the hopes that you get scared enough to bring it to that shop to fix the bad items listed in the report after you buy it. Sometimes, just sometimes, the negatives get over exaggerated a little to scare you into spending some bug bucks on repairs that may not really be needed. Not all shops are like that, but I know some are.

Detailed photos all around might help forum members identify how bad some of the problem areas are on this TJ for you.

Ball joints, control arms and tie rod ends are relatively inexpensive and may be a DIY job to save some money.

Reactions: TheBoogieman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply tzukows, it's actually a private sale and the mechanic is a mobile mechanic that I hired through a third party service so actually has no affiliation to the vehicle so theoretically this should be an unbiased report as they wouldn't benefit from the sale of the vehicle.

I think the biggest concern I have at the moment is the corrosion on the fuel line as I can't seem to find a replacement here in the UK at all (and no where else that will ship internationally) so was wondering if there are other options for this (like getting a custom pipe made from a professional pipe bender)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I may have found the item I need for the fuel line (wasn't looking hard enough evidently), here are some pics of the suspension/underside and engine bay:

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j6.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I may be wrong but it looks like most of the undercarriage was painted? Could be a good thing or bad thing. May be trying to hide rust or just preventing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the results of the check done on the underside:

jwtj_underside.jpg

However I doubt the mechanic was looking specifically for Jeep rust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts