Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, help me with some questions and maybe even dispel some myths. We are almost ready to make the leap from 2003 TJ Sahara to a 2012-14 JKU. I'm already sick of incompetent sales people! And I realize now that 9 out of 10 people selling their Jeep have no clue what their axle ratio is! It's discouraging to say the least.

Here's how I will be using my new Jeep. Daily driver, we are in central NC, so only a couple snows per year. I do not and will never be wheeling it. We will use it a lot at the Outer Banks in the sand though. I will also use it to tow some small utility type trailers and haul wood once in a while.

I definitely want a 6 speed manual, not even considering an auto. I will be adding a 2.5-3" lift and 33's. I absolutely want a 3:73 axle ratio. I'm a little confused on BLD which I think is "traction control"? Are there any other Traction features I should look for? I had one Jeep sales guy tell me that all Saharas are 3.73 ratio. I think he is wrong?

I'm not opposed to a Rubicon but I think it may be over kill? I like the lockers, especially if I did the mod to use in 4 hi. I am reading where Rubicons are not the best for the sand with the 4:1 transfer case. But I shouldn't be in 4 low anyway in the sand, right?

Should I stay away from 2012's because of the early head design on the 3.6's? Was that just a myth? I read where later in 2012 the heads were re-designed?

Let me know your thoughts on this...

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'll take a swing at answering some of this;

3.73's are an option.

On the Saharas you could get an option for a limited slip differential

2012's had a problem with one of the heads cracking and Chrysler extended the warranty coverage for this one component only to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A Rubicon would be overkill if you never plan to take it off road. The BLD on every JK works very well and will be fine for your intended use.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That's rough, my Jeep salesman new a ton about the Wranglers, they actually receive official training on the features!
I lived on Hatteras Island through Jr High & High School, I go down there at least twice a year, and my parents are still there. A Rubicon is definitely an overkill for OBX. Hell, if you know how to properly handle the sand, 4lo is an overkill!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think now, we are just going to order a new 2016. I'm a little bummed though about Anvil not being available? What's this Rhino look like, compared to Anvil? I'd have to see in person, just not enough pictures online yet.

If we order a new one, I hope to get half doors for it as an extra. I want the hard top and full doors and the half doors. Anyone ordered like that yet?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
All willys have 3.73 and lsd, if you can find one you like it will make the search a little simpler.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
From what I've seen Rhino is a bit lighter and without the blue tint in Anvil. For some reason, I was drawn to Anvil when I bought my JKU and I told a good friend I had gotten it and he asked what color. I told him over the phone it was gray. Several nights later before our VFW meeting he came in the door and looked at me and said "You didn't tell me it was Haze Gray. All you need is the USN and some numbers."

The best way I can describe it is that Anvil is the color a a new painted USN ship and Rhino appears to be the color after that ship had spent several years at sea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts