Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my xj which was the biggest mistake of all time and I'm looking to build a new unlimited but am un sure where to start. I know I'm going to do a 3" lift tires wheels flares bumpers winch lights ect... I'm debating on ordering a 3.73 geared rear lsd Dana 44 basic sport with power windows and locks or buying a rubicon for 3.73 gears and Dana 44 all the way around.. Is the transfer case much better in the rubicon are the diff upgrades worthwhile? I won't get to wheel it a ton and I don't want it to be a dog so the 3.73 is a absolute must if I don't want to rip apart diffs and re gear/add lockers Ect which route would you choose. I can get a basic rubicon for 36500 or order a sport for 33,000 or a new black hardtop Willis wheeler for 33500 ( no wait) I dont need color matched tops or flares as I will be ordering / buying black , tank or the dark titanium due to the fact they look great with the black accents and I don't like loud colors.

Let me know what you guys think. I just don't want to over buy and throw away stuff later when I build it... I overbuild everything lol it's in my blood and I do all my own work so I love doing it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Having now owned both a sport and a Rubicon; I really enjoy having the lockers available.

The "stronger" axle upfront is good for peace of mind; but my sport did find on 35s with cheap insurance through gussets and sleeves.

If you are going automatic, I think 3.73 will be Suffice for 35s. In the 6speed I would probably want to regear, but it would be livable for a while.

Tank is an awesome color, one that an XJ looked great in. I would wait on an ordered sport before taking a black one on the lot.

Sweet XJ by the way, always hate the regret of moving on from a vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
Nice XJ!

If you are considering a Rubicon, why don't you just order it with the 4.10?

And yes, the Rubicon transfer case is much beefier and stout: you can literally crawl over rocks without even touching the brakes.

Aldo

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Nice XJ! If you are considering a Rubicon, why don't you just order it with the 4.10? And yes, the Rubicon transfer case is much beefier and stout: you can literally crawl over rocks without even touching the brakes. Aldo
I'll second everything said here. No point imo of getting the Rubicon without the 4.10 unless you're never gonna off-road and never gonna upgrade tires to 35's.

·
Administrator
17,005 Posts
NICE XJ!!

I also went from Sport 3.73 to Rubi 4.10 and recommend 4.10 if you plan on tires up to 35". Anything over 35" go with stock gears, save that $$ and regear higher.

:welcome: :wavey:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would go Rubi with 4.10's because, well, why not?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nice XJ! If you are considering a Rubicon, why don't you just order it with the 4.10? And yes, the Rubicon transfer case is much beefier and stout: you can literally crawl over rocks without even touching the brakes. Aldo
I would agree. Forgot to mention the transfer case; but it's certainly a big upgrade.

My comment was that I wouldn't buy a Rubi just because of the available 4.10; but if you buy a Rubi don't settle on the 3.73. If the biggest concern is comfortably running 35s, a sport will suffice.

In the end no such thing as a bad wrangler!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would agree. Forgot to mention the transfer case; but it's certainly a big upgrade.

My comment was that I wouldn't buy a Rubi just because of the available 4.10; but if you buy a Rubi don't settle on the 3.73. If the biggest concern is comfortably running 35s, a sport will suffice.

In the end no such thing as a bad wrangler!
no i'm aware of the 4.10 availability and if i ordered a Rubicon i would get it that way unless i got a crazy deal on the 3.73 floor model.... In the midwest though i don't think ill encounter many rocks on my light offroad adventures.. i like to mod stuff im starting to think the sport will suit me better.. and be lighter on the wallet.. but the dana 44 up front at the t case keep sucking me back toward the rubicon grrrrrrr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts