Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am getting ready to purchase a new wrangler jk 4 door automatic. Wanted some tips on what I should expect and look after.
My plan is to get a basic model with power windows is all I want. My main plan for this wrangler is to put a 4 inch lift. 35's and couple other mods. going to use it for trail riding. Weekend car. Vacations and take the kids out for rides. So I doubt I will do any extreme off-roading.
As for options I seen the max towing package changes gear ratio on rear end.
Also recommendations on drive line. Was reading where people have to change drive with 4 inch lift.
Also what is the best quality lift for highway ride.
Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
4" is a huge lift if you are not doing much off-roading and you will likely need to replace your front drive shaft if you go that big.

Do plenty of research and whatever you do don't go cheap on the lift if you want a decent ride.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Same.. I would agree the 4'' is going a bit large on 3.73 gears. Not saying it can't be done. But adding larger tires may stress the system. I think if you're wanting a sport (as we did) from which to build upon.. create a custom order and add the 3.73 from the factory. However if you plan on going large, Get the 3.21 and re-gear when you're able to. At which time look for the 4.10's

All this running around will add up. So consider the next wrangler upgrade.. middle grade Rubicon or a cut rate Rubicon with your power options. But this would depend on if you want manual or auto trans.. at which point if you add the auto trans.. the gears are knocked down a notch or the 3.73's. I can't clarify if just the fronts are knocked down to 3.73 and rear remains 4.10

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply fellas. As for lift I don't plan to go cheap. What is a solid good company for lifts. Basically it comes down to this. Cheapest stock rubicon I found is 37k. Found a wrangler sport for 32k which has power windows. 5k difference. In the long run it would prob be the same. 2k for lockers front and back. But the suspension and wheels I do not need off the rubicon. Also the sport has Dana 44 in back and Dana 30 in front. As for the rubicon has Dana 44 both. I don't think I will be doing extreme off-roading. My kids are 7 and 5 and most likely will be going with me most of Mountain riding. I was looking into the rugged ridge front axle. Still doing research on all that. As for mechanical I do most work myself so figured getting upgrades into future. Or do y'all think it's worth off the bat to pay 5k extra for rubicon model?i currently own a TJ 2.4 and it's on 33's. That's a nightmare to drive on freeway. I wasn't aware that a lift affects hearing issues I thought that was only in tire size changes

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
There are a number of quality lifts out there; AEV is extremely popular. Metal Cloak Game Changer is a great option and that kit includes adjustable control arms and front / rear track bars.

Adjustable control arms become important if you are going that big.

The lift does not require a re-gear, but bigger tires might. I've got 35" KO2's with my stock rubi 4.10's and that is just fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd go Rubicon with 4.10 gears for sure. AEV 3.5 lift will get you everything you need for a decent price when factoring everything in.

Just think that Rubicon wheels and tires will sell for much more than stock sport sets. That brings some of the cost down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also for rubber what do you guys recommend. I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja mtz p3. They seem not to good for road. Need something good for all around

·
Registered
27 Posts
Definitely add the 3.73's from the factory, it's a FAR cheaper option than going for it after. I just put on 285/75/R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I really like them. I used 5 sets of T/A KO2's on my YJ, They were great for highway use, but in the mud they weren't as awesome as these have been.

Or, as your description for use looks, the base Rubicon will save you in the long run.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well, as for wheels and tires on the unlimited and because we're not going to life the jeep other than adding stiffer coils and better shocks.. we like the MOAB 10A Rubicon wheels mated up with the Goodyear LT285/70R17 duratracs. Unless something else comes along. I realize 50K miles on a set of duratracs isn't much, but way more than the 28K mud terrains. Just have to think about the total picture and where you running.. We're going more on road than off.. But it's good to know we can go off road when we wanted to. So try to avoid "looks" and go for something you'll actually put to good use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Another question on the rubicon automatic it is showing 3.73 gears. Is the 4.10 only on the Manuel or am I reading something wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will go with stock sport and install arb lockers and what gears needed for proper ride. Will be funner to build it. Also the Dana 30 in front on stock do a lot of people have prob breaking them?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
@Daneek155 you are correct. According to Jeep's build & price page. When one builds a 2017 Rubicon and switches to automatic trans, the gears change from 4.10 to 3.73. In this case, it would be easier/cheaper to just purchase the willys wheeler with the 3.73 gears already installed. The manual Rubicon would have 44 front and 44 rear. Where as the Rubicon auto trans would have 30 front 44 rear and this 30/44 setup would automatically be on the Willys. The whole persona of owning a Rubicon is that one would buy the manual shift with 44's on the front and back. If you're unwilling to drive a manual, Purchase this willys wheeler (baby Rubicon) instead.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
@Daneek155 you are correct. According to Jeep's build & price page. When one builds a 2017 Rubicon and switches to automatic trans, the gears change from 4.10 to 3.73. In this case, it would be easier/cheaper to just purchase the willys wheeler with the 3.73 gears already installed. The manual Rubicon would have 44 front and 44 rear. Where as the Rubicon auto trans would have 30 front 44 rear and this 30/44 setup would automatically be on the Willys. The whole persona of owning a Rubicon is that one would buy the manual shift with 44's on the front and back. If you're unwilling to drive a manual, Purchase this willys wheeler (baby Rubicon) instead.
Negative ghost rider, Rubicon auto comes 44 front and rear.

OP: I'd recommend the Rubicon from the start for the 4:1 transfer case and electronic swaybar disconnect. A good 2.5" lift kit from AEV or Metalcloak will put you into range of 35's, and if you go flat fenders on top of that, 37's. Weigh it down with some heavy duty armor underneath, C-gusset and truss the axles, and you'll be ready for pretty much any trail you can thik of.

People will debate tires until the cows come home. From my own personal experience:
If this is your daily commuter with occasional (up to twice a month) offroading, go for BFG KO2's. Hands down best road manners in an offroad-capable tire.
If you're gonna beach buggy, MT Baja Champions are pretty killer in the sand.
Mud bogging, you can't go wrong with pretty much any mud tire out there.
Dedicated offroad rig with very occasional (driving to the trail) highway, Kevlars will probably be in order for puncture resistance.

If you want tips and tricks to buying the Jeep itself, check out my thread that's sticky'ed at the top of this forum: "So you want to buy a JK/U?"

Let us know if you've got further questions, we're always happy to answer.

O_E

Reactions: BajaYeller

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was referring to the first option when selecting the automatic transmissions:

However, at the time I worked this up I never explored the second add option feature which allows one to replace the 4.10 which the first option removed. As for the axle being 30's or 44's I'm unaware of any changes based on the information of Jeep's site. Therefor I assuming that when resorts to going automatic one would get the 30/3.73 front and the 44/3.73 rear.

I base my assumption of our build which we've opted for the 3.73 front and rear. So would this mean we have:

30/3.73 & 44/3.73

or

44/3.73 and 44/3.73 on our special order?.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was referring to the first option when selecting the automatic transmissions:

However, at the time I worked this up I never explored the second add option feature which allows one to replace the 4.10 which the first option removed. As for the axle being 30's or 44's I'm unaware of any changes based on the information of Jeep's site. Therefor I assuming that when resorts to going automatic one would get the 30/3.73 front and the 44/3.73 rear.

I base my assumption of our build which we've opted for the 3.73 front and rear. So would this mean we have:

30/3.73 & 44/3.73

or

44/3.73 and 44/3.73 on our special order?.
Your special order if it's a Rubicon will be 44/3.73 front and rear. All Rubicons come 44 front and rear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot for the help fellas. Reason I need automatic is so the wife can drive. I tried teaching her on my jeep and didn't go well lol. After doing more research it looks like the arb lockers will be harder to install by myself. Prob would be best idea to go with rubicon as for warranty also. I should be getting the jeep in june. I will let y'all know what I get. Also if there's any common mistake new jeep owners make please let me know. I'm fairly new in the jeep world had my TJ for about one year. Thanks again

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hello I am getting ready to purchase a new wrangler jk 4 door automatic. Wanted some tips on what I should expect and look after.
My plan is to get a basic model with power windows is all I want. My main plan for this wrangler is to put a 4 inch lift. 35's and couple other mods. going to use it for trail riding. Weekend car. Vacations and take the kids out for rides. So I doubt I will do any extreme off-roading.
As for options I seen the max towing package changes gear ratio on rear end.
Also recommendations on drive line. Was reading where people have to change drive with 4 inch lift.
Also what is the best quality lift for highway ride.
Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks
I have a '15 rubicon unlimited with 3.73 gears. I put on 3.5/4 inch rancho coil springs. I don't have any driveline issues that I know of. I have exhaust spacers. Tires are 315/70r17 duratracs or nitto terra grapplers 285/75r17. I have no problems running on the freeway or getting up to speed.

I'd recommend buying the rubicon over the sport. I like lockers, but it is a pain to not be able to lock them outside of jeep operating parameters w/o a programmer or mods.

If ordering I'd get the 4.10 gears over the 3.73's, but I bought mine off the lot.

A sport with 3.73's is a solid choice and you can always upgrade the front axle or add lockers later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts