Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm looking on craigslist for a TJ in (Mexico) and find a lot of real good deals on jeeps.
Has anyone bought a vehicle out of the us and brought it back? If so what did you need to do to register it here?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The requirements to register a vehicle varies from state to state, so you should contact the licensing/registering authority in your state. I know one of the things you will need to find out is if the vehicle was made for use in the U.S., or was it made for export. I tried to buy a vehicle when I was stationed in England, they said I could buy it, but couldn't ship it to the states. It wouldn't pass the emission standards.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm looking on craigslist for a TJ in (Mexico) and find a lot of real good deals on jeeps. Has anyone bought a vehicle out of the us and brought it back? If so what did you need to do to register it here?
I think in LA you have to pass a smog test. Plus the vehicle has to meet DOT safety requirements. Safety belt, glass, etc. there are outfits that do the importation for you and they worry about the DOT requirements. Then you just take it to your local Purrfect oil change shop and get her smogged.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Make sure it wasn't stolen and taken over the border. If it was you will be out all your money when you try to register it. Lots of stolen jeeps end up down there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm looking on craigslist for a TJ in (Mexico) and find a lot of real good deals on jeeps.
Has anyone bought a vehicle out of the us and brought it back? If so what did you need to do to register it here?
I would say... forget about it. There are a million excuses that will be given to you, by the alphabet agencies ,as to why you cannot import it into the USA. The mpgs are too high (it pollutes too much by burning less fuel), the bumpers are not up to US spec (yeah... the bumpers, wonder what they would think about the bumpers we all use as OEM replacements).

You can register it in Mexico and drive it in the USA legally as long as you take it back across the border every six months or so.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah some of the best deals were jeeps with California plates.
04 tj Rubicon with 52k miles for 9,000
Also 06 sport with 42k miles for 9k also
Very fishy
😮

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Reminds me of somthing I did in my younger years. Back in the 80's when you could still buy a new vw bug in mexico, I took a 69 bug I bought for $50. , drove it from VA to mexico. Bought a brand new bug for $4500 US , put my plates on it and drove it back to va. Kept it registered as my 69 and drove it for years. 69 was the last year vw had no dash vin. Only problem was I could never legally sell it, and it eventually became a Baja bug field car I gave away. To this day I wonder what became of the 69 I left in matamoros mexico.

·
Commercial Member
7,876 Posts
Reminds me of somthing I did in my younger years. Back in the 80's when you could still buy a new vw bug in mexico, I took a 69 bug I bought for $50. , drove it from VA to mexico. Bought a brand new bug for $4500 US , put my plates on it and drove it back to va. Kept it registered as my 69 and drove it for years. 69 was the last year vw had no dash vin. Only problem was I could never legally sell it, and it eventually became a Baja bug field car I gave away. To this day I wonder what became of the 69 I left in matamoros mexico.
Lol awesome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts