Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering where folks are buying their parts. For most of my other vehicles the local parts store has been the destination. After reading a few thousand posts here it seems like Jeepers seem to buy mostly from online suppliers.

Since I need to start dealing with DW, I will be looking at possibly replacing track bars, ball joints, drag links etc. Does anyone use auto parts store parts or is it always recommended to buy from the "Jeep specialty" shops like ET, Morris or Quadratec etc?

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the most part, I've only been buying accessories so far and I'm lucky enough to live right near Extreme Terrain and Quadratec. I can swing by QT to pick stuff up at their West Chester warehouse and shipped stuff usually shows up the next day. So, just about as timely and convenient as going to a parts store.

To me though, the big benefit of using places like QT, ET, etc. is that they are all die hard Jeep fanatics (you should see the parking lot at QT!) and they know what they are talking about. It's not just some guy at a parts counter looking at a parts listing and trying to sell you an extended warranty. These guys know Jeeps, know the mods we do, know the problems that they have, know the vendors, and know what you need.

Also, they tend to sponsor cool web sites like Wrangler Forum :)

-m

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Craigslist, local Jeep group forums, local off road shops, Quadratec, and Amazon.

Depends on who has the best deal, how much I know about what I'm buying and what I'm buying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I'm in Canada which is a whole other ball game. It's tough to find parts at a comparable US price here and the shipping charges from places like quadratech and ET are just too outrageous to be taken seriously.

The last time I tried an order from either ET or northridge... can't remember which one it was, but it was a complete yukon 5.13 gear kit. The price was reasonable in Canadian dollars (700 and something bucks) so I started filling out the order.... and then came the 'shipping charges' part. It turned out the kit was coming from 3 different places. Shipping charges on the front gear set was $300, the rear was $200, and the master install kits were something like $150... for a grand total of $650 in shipping charges!

Are you f*cking serious?!?

Now I just use the quadratech and et websites to compare parts and make decisions on what I want (because the websites are quite good), then take that part number over to ebay or amazon where the shipping charges are a bit more controlled.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wondering where folks are buying their parts. For most of my other vehicles the local parts store has been the destination. After reading a few thousand posts here it seems like Jeepers seem to buy mostly from online suppliers.

Since I need to start dealing with DW, I will be looking at possibly replacing track bars, ball joints, drag links etc. Does anyone use auto parts store parts or is it always recommended to buy from the "Jeep specialty" shops like ET, Morris or Quadratec etc?
If I want OEM or close to it, I'll pick it up locally or look for an online retailer such as Summit, Quadratec or Rock Auto. When it comes to upgrades, I'll switch gears to a Northridge, Quadratec, ETc.

If you are un-lifted, consider take off parts of a low mileage JK since you can get those for a steal on Craigslist or nasty ole Facebook.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It depends in what type of parts you mean.

For OE replacement type parts (Jeep and our other vehicles) I primarrily use Amazon and RockAuto. They have the best prices, with Amazon usually having the best return policy. Although RockAuto has in some cases proved itself also very generous in returning or replacing parts.

Some of the build/modificatios parts seem to be only available at Jeep specialized vendors. I don't buy those often. One time I received a broken part from one of this vendors in Florida and the return was rather inconvenient. So I continue trying to buy what ever I can on Amazon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Depends what it is, how common, how soon I need it.

Oil drain plug.....because I managed to lose it.....NAPA because it's on my way home from work.
Soft top with all the stuff to put on my hard top only JKU? Craigslist for a dual top that's unwanted. Premium OEM to boot.
Cool things like bumpers, winch, lift stuff that are fairly specialty: All the vendors you see here.
Wheel spacers, wheels: Craigslist.
Fire extinguisher, required by club: local hardware store
FRS radio: Bought directly from my club, preprogrammed with the channels we use
Commodity stuff like oil and filters and such: Wal Mart, Amazon, NAPA, Auto Zone.

So I guess my answer is: everywhere

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, as I mentioned I have to deal with DW and in reading here the many great posts on how to start this investigation, I have learned that there are a variety of front end parts that can be involved. The parts that I am most interested in are things like drag links, traction bars, ball joints and all the rest that I can't think of right now.

So what I am asking is are ball joints from CAP, Autozone, etc. OK or do most folks go with some super duper replacement from one of the specialty shops?

I see a lot of posts where guys spend $1,500 on this and $900 on this like its pocket change. I'm semi retired and although not homeless, I don't have the kind of cash that I did 10 years ago when working full time.

My bigger concern is that I don't want to put in three sets of CAP ball joints just because they are cheaper when perhaps a set from XYZ specialty Jeep parts would last twice as long as the three from CAP. Same question for the other DW front end parts that I might be needing so that I can drive my 2010 on the highway over 55 mph without the front end feeling like it is going to shake off. :pullinghair:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm in Canada which is a whole other ball game. It's tough to find parts at a comparable US price here and the shipping charges from places like quadratech and ET are just too outrageous to be taken seriously.

The last time I tried an order from either ET or northridge... can't remember which one it was, but it was a complete yukon 5.13 gear kit. The price was reasonable in Canadian dollars (700 and something bucks) so I started filling out the order.... and then came the 'shipping charges' part. It turned out the kit was coming from 3 different places. Shipping charges on the front gear set was $300, the rear was $200, and the master install kits were something like $150... for a grand total of $650 in shipping charges!

Are you f*cking serious?!?

Now I just use the quadratech and et websites to compare parts and make decisions on what I want (because the websites are quite good), then take that part number over to ebay or amazon where the shipping charges are a bit more controlled.

Is this straight shipping cost or does the shipper have to include some sort of import tax?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Is this straight shipping cost or does the shipper have to include some sort of import tax?

Import tax (duty) is a whole other ball game for us. Anything manufactured in the US we do not have to pay duty on, but if the US imported the item then we have to pay a duty on top of shipping. And with that, shippers like Fedx and UPS tack on their incredibly outrageous "brokerage fees"

Duty isn't really a big deal though.... it's really not that much but with the ups/fedx "brokerage fee" the total is easily double

You have to be careful in Canada when ordering from outside the borders these days because of all the hidden charges. I remember ordering 2 cans of mirror spray paint. It was like 10 bucks a can. By the time it got to my door, those 2 cans cost me 100 bucks.

For the bigger items now, I just keep a US address and have it shipped there. I'm only an hour away from the border ( Red River Freight in Pembina, North Dakota) so I drive down, pick it up and pay the tax/duty at the border. Much cheaper that way. My US address charges me 5 bucks a parcel or $25 per fork lift pallet. Bought a 4 ton heat pump a few years back and had it shipped there... free shipping to Pembina and a two hour drive round trip. If I had it shipped to my door it would have been about $650

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A long time ago 4x4's didn't come with factory steering stabilizers. The main reason we added stabilizers to old Jeeps was to combat DW.

If I were you, I'd start with a high quality steering stabilizer as recommended by the experts here. I haven't needed to add or replace one for a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts