Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
That is in the KBB range. Looks clean. I would just inspect the engine and drive train since there are no pics.

I looked at one once that had clean looking pics just like this one, but upon looking at the frame and engine compartment, is was a rust corrosion mess...probably from road salt. So take your time to look it over carefully. :thumb:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like "Dextreme" mentioned look closely at the frame, take a screw driver with you if any areas of the frame look questionable poke at them to see if it's soft. Aside from the obvious, fluid leaks/condition I always look closely at all body bolts I can find to see if they have been disturbed and for any unusual paint overspray. These can be indications of previous body work. Listen for any unusual noises/vibrations on the test drive (do not have the radio on). I always like to bring a note pad with me and write down anything I don't like. After I'm done inspecting I go over everything I found with the owner and work them down on the price based on needed repairs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Like "Dextreme" mentioned look closely at the frame, take a screw driver with you if any areas of the frame look questionable poke at them to see if it's soft. Aside from the obvious, fluid leaks/condition I always look closely at all body bolts I can find to see if they have been disturbed and for any unusual paint overspray. These can be indications of previous body work. Listen for any unusual noises/vibrations on the test drive (do not have the radio on). I always like to bring a note pad with me and write down anything I don't like. After I'm done inspecting I go over everything I found with the owner and work them down on the price based on needed repairs.
^ He's good. IMO, a keen eye is better than CarFax any day.

I highlighted a couple really good points.

I just want to add a couple things:

Make sure the engine is cold when it's started. Dead cold, been sitting overnight cold. I like to have a friend start it, and watch the engine start with the hood up. I listen for any strange noises on initial start up.

Do a long test drive, get it on the freeway for a few minutes. Do a couple hard stops and feel how the brakes really work.

I like to take potential cars home overnight. People say it's a selling technique to make you bond. That is true to an extent. However, I don't feel right taking things apart in front of the salesman. I verified my Jeep had a new timing belt when I had it at home. With 86,000 miles on teh clock and a 90,000 mile service interval for the belt, I wanted to take a look. I was relieved to see "NAPA" on the belt, indicating someone else already spend the $$$ on replacing it.

In about 30 minutes at home, you can check the oil in the diffs, trans, and xfer case.

Even if you just toss a sheet of cardboard on the ground, and crawl underneath it, you can make some keen observations. See if there are scrapes on the frame from rocks. See if there are leaks. See if anything doesn't match... I.E. is the catalytic converter old and rusty or shiny and new, indicating it was recently replaced.

Plus, you can park it overnight and see if it drips.

You can drive it to the store, and see how it starts when hot.

You can put a few cycles on it and see whether the check engine light comes on...

I typically say I want to hold off on purchase so I can show it to my wife/GF/parents to get approval once they can get a chance to come to the dealer and see it. The usual response is for the salesman to offer to let me take it for a day.

For every vehicle I buy, I take about 5-6 home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much for the fast and very detailed response. Im gonna print this out and bring it along

Ill post what I find out

Thanks again for the in depth post

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check the frame in front of the rear tires. There is a whole there from the factory. Stick your fingure in it and see if there is alot of rust or grime build up. My tj was really really clean but i didnt know to check this and my frame is rotted from the inside out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts