Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I began to hear a loud buzzing noise when the engine is revving up and revving down. It only happens at certain times.

The facts:
- i cannot feel the noise which leads me to believe that u joints and engine are not to blame
- it happens only when the engine hits 1500-1700 rpm accelerating or decelerating and at idle when cold or recently started (the engine has a gallop type thing going and is more pronounced at colder engine temp)
- the noise has nothing to do with speed which tells me its not the ol' tranny. It has its own suspicious noises...
- i just installed a 1.25" body lift a week ago, right before the noise began.
- it's difficult to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. Sometimes i hear it near the front, sometimes in back, sometimes everywhere.
- it doesn't sound like a knock or a click or a ping, just a loud buzzing.

My assuption:
I'm thinking exhaust. When i first bought the jeep the tail pipe was hitting a rear shakle bolt that seemed far too long. Hacksawed that thing down a tad and the noise stopped. This was years ago but from what i remember its a very similar noise to what i hear now.

So how bout it? Can Anyone else confirm or debunk my assuption. Could any part of the exhaust system be rattling against something or for some reason be rattling at specific rpms? If so is there a way to tell for sure? I suck at dianosing problems...

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long-windedness.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Oh yes it can. We have front dwon pipe rubbing the front driveshaft, CAT rattling on the skid plate, we have the tailpipe rattling all the way out to the tip. So yes it could be the exhaust system at certain RPMs

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
check your fan clutch too.

My daughter had a weird clunk that ended up being a shock; and one jeep had the exhaust hitting the sway bar in the rear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it

Update:
I hopped under the Jeep today while it was running and it took about four seconds to pinpoint the noise: muffler. It was super loud laying under the muffler as it buzzed.

So...I know nothing about mufflers. Needs to be replaced? It's a magnaflow. I'm gonna check on their warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts