Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd gear just went out, so looks like im forcefully entering the market of a new clutch/flywheel. I know im buying top end luk clutch, but whats this talk about no luk flywheels? One of my friends says they dont exist anymore? And is it worth it to replace the clutch and master cylinder assemblies that I've also heard talk about? I've got the AX-15 with 4.0l.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What does not having 2nd gear have to do with your clutch?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'll 2nd that. If 2nd gear is the only one giving you trouble, the problem is in your transmission. Probably the 1-2 synchro, as that's usually the 1st one to go. Try double clutching or working through the gears with the engine off to see if they mesh.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
^ exactly,,, premature failure of the second gear synchro is common, and the result of drivers shoving the clutch in and " grabbing " 2nd gear, instead of learning to match up RPMs and utilizing the clutch to " help " it into the next gear.., jeeps are really just a small heavy duty truck, and should be driven accordingly..., as far as the OPs problem? It's an expensive repair,, learn to double clutch and match up your RPMS,.. A little practice and it will be second nature for you..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just curious, what is an approximate repair cost on something like that?
The last time I had trans work done was back in 1976 .. I pulled the trans myself, used the neighbors 2 wheel cart, and walked it to the nearest shop. I installed a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. The shop charged a bit over 300 bucks.. It was a 1960 Ford F100. I found out later that the PO had been red light racing with it, hence, a ruined trans.. A ton of those old 3 spds with creeper are still on the road today... Today's market? If the shop does all the work, $ 1500 and up .. ;(

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I will tell you this much...... this was EXACTLY the symptomology of my slave cylinder going out on my 89. It FELT like 2nd gear was going out but all other gears were fine so I think the OP may be on to something.

I replaced the slave cylinder and issue was gone.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I paid a little over $1800 last August to have my Ax-15 trans replaced. I lost 2nd gear. It pretty much exploded.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know when my clutch is going guys... Even from a stop the whole jeep shakes and nearly stalls out if i dont give it alot of gas. when i was pulling someone out in revese, the clutch slipped the whole time. I know when a clutch is going out. I may not be the best mechanic but i certainly know how to diagnose a clutch going out. As for my synchros, they've been bad for a while, but i've lost reverse almost now so. Second gear has always been hard to get into which is why i always am careful getting into it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I know when my clutch is going guys... Even from a stop the whole jeep shakes and nearly stalls out if i dont give it alot of gas. when i was pulling someone out in revese, the clutch slipped the whole time. I know when a clutch is going out. I may not be the best mechanic but i certainly know how to diagnose a clutch going out. As for my synchros, they've been bad for a while, but i've lost reverse almost now so. Second gear has always been hard to get into which is why i always am careful getting into it.
Cool that you have finally given a full description of your tj's driveline symptoms.. Of course it's your clutch. Your initial post made no mention of slipping and shuttering... Sometimes I don't know why I waste my time offing my best advise to young drivers. /:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate your advice. I really do, I learned something from it actually. Ill need it in the future when that synchro does actually blow up. I appreciate your input man, I really do.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I appreciate your advice. I really do, I learned something from it actually. Ill need it in the future when that synchro does actually blow up. I appreciate your input man, I really do.
OK. I'm cool with that...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. I'm cool with that...
Ill never discourage anybodys advice. ITs always wanted because ill be the first to admitt that i dont know everything, I'm always learning from my more experienced peers such as yourself. I appreciat any input at all, thas how i learned most of what i do know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts