Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question but does the computer display the oil life readout the same when using full synthetic verses regular oil? I switched to full synthetic a couple thousand miles ago and my oil life was recently at 9%, so I changed it. I changed it basically because I used mobil1 synthetic but then read that it does not meet approved specs. If synthetic is meant to last 5000 or more, do I just reset the oil life readout a couple times till I hit the actual oil recommended change mileage? I was worried maybe the computer could actually record the workaround and raise red flags when none are warranted? what is the proper method.

·
Registered
925 Posts
In case you mean this: I highly doubt that the computer could sense and track that the oil was actually drained and refilled. Also the actual oil grade or quality could sure not be tracked by the vehicle. However I can IMAGINE that the reset time, date and mileage could be logged somewhere. If you are doing your own service and some day may have a warranty claim, I IMAGINE your own service records should be a close match to what COULD be recorded on the vehicle's computer. Again, I don't know if this information is actually recorded.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Not sure I understand your question exactly but it’s not uncommon to get over 8000 miles between oil changes using the vehicles % indicator. That’s what I experienced with my 2008 Honda Accord, now with my 2016 JKU, and 2019 Grand Cherokee. I use full synthetic but I don’t think that affects the % life remaining indicator.

·
Registered
241 Posts
... If synthetic is meant to last 5000 or more, ...
The Owner's Manual, under Scheduled Servicing has a note that reads "Under no circumstances should oil change interval exceed 10,000 miles..."

Do you really want to exceed 10,000 miles between your oil change? 10,000 miles is already a lot of mileage.

The "Change Oil" annunciator is nothing more than a sophisticated idiot light. It is user resetable. I doubt its reset is being recorded by the "Computer".

:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
For what I understand the computer uses the ignition cycles, running hours, and mileage between every reset to estimate the oil life. I play safe and change my oil religiously every 5K or 6K which also tends to be every six months. I do t daily drive my Jeep it's just a weekend toy

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
For what I understand the computer uses the ignition cycles, running hours, and mileage between every reset to estimate the oil life. I play safe and change my oil religiously every 5K or 6K which also tends to be every six months. I do t daily drive my Jeep it's just a weekend toy
^this. I change my oil every 5000 miles and reset the monitor. That way it doesn’t come on. Wish there was a way to shut it off. Don’t use it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Monitor is counting hours of operation.
It is probably set for 250-300h interval which with an average speed of ~30 mph will result in 8-9K miles OCI depending on idle %.
So probably 10K miles interval is the theoretical maximum OCI driving at highway speeds.

·
Registered
925 Posts
@Lemotan,

In our case, with my wife as daily diver and her commute (55 miles both ways), plus some weekend driving, it works out to be a little over 150 hours at 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
FWIW, my last oil change I decided to try Mobil 1 oil. Based on this thread I decided to do some research to see what Mobil recommended as far as oil change mileage.

After searching their site, I found a link where you can put your vehicle specs in and they recommend which product is best. For my 2010 Wrangler Sport, they recommended Mobil Super and not Mobil 1.

Anybody have any knowledge about oil and why they did not recommend Mobil 1????

I am fairly sure that it is not going to harm my engine but just curious.

I will probably try to reach out to them as well to see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Well again FWIW, I called Mobil and spoke to Chris in customer service. Apparently Mobil 1 does not meet the manufactures specs and Mobil Super does. So apparently it is Jeep that wants one to use Mobil Super as opposed to Mobil 1.

I can't believe that Mobil 1 will damage my Jeep engine but for sure at the next change I will use the Mobil Super just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Well again FWIW, I called Mobil and spoke to Chris in customer service. Apparently Mobil 1 does not meet the manufactures specs and Mobil Super does. So apparently it is Jeep that wants one to use Mobil Super as opposed to Mobil 1.

I can't believe that Mobil 1 will damage my Jeep engine but for sure at the next change I will use the Mobil Super just to be safe.
There is a whole lot of reason for this issue. Some of it comes from the falling out of Mobil and FCA. Some of this comes from the court ruling many years ago on what is truly a synthetic oil. It basically stated that any oil that is engineered is synthetic regardless of the base stock used.

Anyway our vehicles where spec'd with a none synthetic oil. Mobil Super is derived from dino base stock and this is the oil that was tested and approved to the Chrysler's MS-6395. By the way these tests/qualifications are not cheep costing 10's of thousand of dollars to achieve.

Mobil assumed that since Mobil One is superior to Mobil Super in every category it also meets the standard and if I am not mistaken for a very short period of time actually had it on the bottle. FCA did not agree because the actually qualification did not happen (they didn't get paid) and Mobil One was dropped.

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it. I have only run Redline or Mobil One in my rig from the first oil change on. I prefer Redline but it is one of the most expensive oils out there so Mobil One is the most used.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Engines are designed for a wide spec of oil viscosity, even a thicker oil or thinner oil than recommended wont damage it right away. Mobil 1 doesnt have MS-6395 it doenst mean anything, just that they dont have this "approval". Im sure some are using it.
But there are several other good oils out there approved by FCA, just pick one you like and use it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. I could have been clearer I guess. If I understand this, the oil life readout is a preset set of parameters? So my confusion is if the computer is basing oil life on being fed dino, perhaps its set for 3000 miles ? so I give it synthetic and while my oil life should at least double, it still tells me to change it at the same 3000 miles. I gather most people ignore the oil life readout and just change it at what the bottle recommends? My biggest concern was if I just ignore the readout and somehow the computer records my oil life as being at zero for 6 months, then someone could use that to say I had poor maintenance?

·
Registered
925 Posts
...My biggest concern was if I just ignore the readout and somehow the computer records my oil life as being at zero for 6 months, then someone could use that to say I had poor maintenance?
That is what sort of I meant too, when I voiced my concern about being unclear how this information is tracked and recorded by the vehicle's computer and who is able to have access to it.

Indeed something similar was a hot topic a few years ago, but I guess people lost interest in it since.

According to news reports of that time, ALL car manufacturers (well with the exception of 2x, who simply declined to comment, if I remeber correctly it was Volvo and Maserati) have ADMITTED to tracking a wealth of information about their drivers driving style and driving habits.

This information may not be accessible to the average dealership mechanic, but it definitely can be accessed by the manufacturer. There was even talk about how some companies may be using their connected systems to uplink this data to their headquarters.

So it only sounds logical to me, that oil change interval information would be included in all that tracked data.

The question to me is rather does the dealership or an average person able to gain access to it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I could have been clearer I guess. If I understand this, the oil life readout is a preset set of parameters? So my confusion is if the computer is basing oil life on being fed dino, perhaps its set for 3000 miles ? so I give it synthetic and while my oil life should at least double, it still tells me to change it at the same 3000 miles. I gather most people ignore the oil life readout and just change it at what the bottle recommends? My biggest concern was if I just ignore the readout and somehow the computer records my oil life as being at zero for 6 months, then someone could use that to say I had poor maintenance?

Think I said earlier, I and most others I’ve read see about 8000 miles on the odometer when the oil life percentage shows 10 or 15% remaining. Pay attention to the computer % (that will start blinking at 15%), and your actual mileage since last oil change, and change it when it’s time based on whichever occurs first. I haven’t read anybody saying the oil life indicator says it’s time to change at 3000 miles. Dino or synthetic doesn’t matter with the computer. If you do go 8000 miles between oil changes, you need to check the oil level occasionally and add some if it’s low.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is not the oil manufacturer that is telling you at what interval you should change the engine oil; it is the engine/vehicle manufacturer.

yes of course, but since there is no way to tell the engine computer you are using synthetic or dino, the oil life readout works exactly the same for both types? So lets say I use dino, and every 2500 miles the oil life says zero and I do the oil change and reset the computer. ten thousand miles later, computer records I did 4 oil changes as specified and all is well. Now for the next ten thousand, I use full synthetic that can go 25,000 between changes so I leave it alone. My concern is will the computer document that as missing several oil changes because the preset oil life is based on using dino?

·
Registered
241 Posts
...So it only sounds logical to me, that oil change interval information would be included in all that tracked data.
It would not be the oil change interval that would be tracked; it would be the sophisticated idiot light reset interval. Resetting, or not resetting do not mean the oil was changed or not changed.

Some kind of fresh oil detector would be required in order to monitor if the engine oil was replaced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think I said earlier, I and most others I’ve read see about 8000 miles on the odometer when the oil life percentage shows 10 or 15% remaining. Pay attention to the computer % (that will start blinking at 15%), and your actual mileage since last oil change, and change it when it’s time based on whichever occurs first. I haven’t read anybody saying the oil life indicator says it’s time to change at 3000 miles. Dino or synthetic doesn’t matter with the computer. If you do go 8000 miles between oil changes, you need to check the oil level occasionally and add some if it’s low.
my thing is I did a mobil1 full synthetic oil change about 3000 miles or less ago and then reset the computer with the 3 rapid gas pedal pushes and it did indeed go back to 100 percent oil life. I am faithful with oil changes and used to do every 2500, and now going synthetic I undoubtedly will be wasting good oil by changing it much sooner than suggested. I am basically trying to figure out how to keep whatever log the computer is keeping in sync with what I am actually doing?

·
Registered
925 Posts
My concern is will the computer document that as missing several oil changes because the preset oil life is based on using dino?
Most likely yes. Again, the question is will that information be accessible to the average Joe.

That said, you can always sample test your oil, just as you can always reset the oil life indicator yourself too as often as you like.

It would not be the oil change interval that would be tracked; it would be the sophisticated idiot light reset interval. Resetting, or not resetting do not mean the oil was changed or not changed.

Some kind of fresh oil detector would be required in order to monitor if the engine oil was replaced.

Agreed. That is what I meant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts