Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
what is about the c clip that has you worried?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
X2 on the Superior Super 8.8 kit. Quality product from a great company. I've never heard of someone breaking a Superior axle.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Not trying to speak for RYK...but I like the eliminator kit after breaking a stock shaft and not being able to limp off the trail because the shaft won't stay in the tube.

Now, if I break a shaft...and that's a BIG if, then I can take out the broken piece and re-bolt the rest to the axle because it disconnects like a Dana 44.

However, I will concede that for most people, the 8.8 is strong enough to not need this.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
the one nice thing about the super 88 is that it widens the 8.8 a little so its closer to the stock width in a jeep

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not trying to speak for RYK...but I like the eliminator kit after breaking a stock shaft and not being able to limp off the trail because the shaft won't stay in the tube.

Now, if I break a shaft...and that's a BIG if, then I can take out the broken piece and re-bolt the rest to the axle because it disconnects like a Dana 44.

However, I will concede that for most people, the 8.8 is strong enough to not need this.
Could not have said it better myself. I am running the 4.6 stroker motor, 4.56 gears with ARB locker, Tera-low 4.0-1 transfer case and 33x12.5 MTR's. I have decided to spend the money on my drivetrain so that it is as bullet proof as I can get it. I do not want any problems out on the trail if its just me or with my family and friends.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
USMC 0369 said:

Technically, the disc brakes on the 8.8 will let u limp off the trail if you snap a shaft.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Technically, the disc brakes on the 8.8 will let u limp off the trail if you snap a shaft.

Yes it will let you but let me tell you that using the brakes to hold the wheel on is not fun:nonono: Been there done that:redface: had the wheel bearings go and I mean all of them out of the races! in my dodge mud truck one time and it makes one he'll of a racket! When I got it home took the tire and caliper off and the hat and spindle feel off. Dumb design for those hubs with no grease fittings:facepalm: if it ever happens to anyone remember to go very slow and hit the rotor with wd40 or do like I did and vice grip off the brake line

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I get the "Ultimate 8.8 Yukon Kit" from Robert at rwkhaussupply.com a few months back. Nice, complete kit.. works with the Superior Gears and the Detroit Locker I put in. Lots of folks I've known have used this kit without issues so it's a good alternative to look at as well.

Denis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts