Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
If your rear axle is the standard Dana 35c, it uses c-clips to hold the axle shafts in place. The front Dana 30 and optional extra cost rear Dana 44 axles do not use c-clips.

Your front axle may look a lot like a Dana 44 but it is a Dana 30.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
All TJ dana 35's are c-clips.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
If you replace the whole differential and axle shafts, are c clips still necessary? How do you identify D30?
the dana 30 is the stock on all TJ models except the rubicon.

the problem with the dana 35c is not the c-clips... its the small stock 27 spline shafts the axle has.. You can upgarde to alloy 27 splines and that will help or you can upgrade to 30 spline shafts and that will help a lot more, if your want to keep the stock housing.. If not keeping the stock housing, them either a TJ dana 44(which has 30 spline shafts) or any other axle that has bigger shafts would be fine, ford 9" ford 8.8 other dana 44, dana 60, etc etc..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Okay, I was planning on going to 30 spline. I was just wondering though if that upgrade plus a locker still makes it require the C clips or not. Is it no matter what, the D35c always needs it even if you change the contents of that axle?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe even the 30 spline axles for the dana 35 have c clips unless you opt for the Superior c clip eliminator kit.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Okay, I was planning on going to 30 spline. I was just wondering though if that upgrade plus a locker still makes it require the C clips or not. Is it no matter what, the D35c always needs it even if you change the contents of that axle?
You can go with something like this to get them gone... but other wise yes most will still reuse the clip.

Superior Axle and Gear EV35-JP27 - Superior Axle & Gear Super C-Clip Eliminator™ Kit for 90-06 Jeep® Vehicles - Quadratec

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
It would be a waste of time and money to eliminate the c-clips as they do not decrease the strength of the axle shafts, carrier, or ring and pinion.
X2, the real issue in the Dana 35 with oversize tires or a locker is its axle strength and not the c-clips themselves. The axle shafts don't break at the c-clips, they break between the carrier and wheel mounting flange. The c-clips are protected inside the carrier where they don't receive any stress from big tires or a locker.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
What size tires Mike? You're talking about the Superior Axle Super 35 kit with Detroit Truetrac right?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, the TrueTrac only comes in 27 spline for the D35.
Superior Axle has a 30 spline version of the Truetrac for their Super 35.

Edit: For the time being, I take that back as I can no longer find it on Superior's website. They did at one time offer a 30 spline version of the Truetrac for their Super 35 kit, I can't yet determine if they still do or not.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
That it doesn't look like Superior Axle still makes a 30 spline Super 35 kit with a Detroit Truetrac aside, you don't really need the strength of a Super 35 kit to run 31" tires with a Detroit Truetrac LSD. You should be fine with the OE 27 spline shafts, 31" tires, and Truetrac. Heck I ran that combo for 3-4 years with 33" tires without D35 axle problems. I actually had the Truetracs front and rear. It wasn't until I wanted lockers when I upgraded my axles and axle shafts. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts