Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the Rancho Progressive 2" lifts with 9000s. I had pretty much decided on Cooper A3XLT. Great reviews, great tread life and great price. Have been going back and forth between 285/70 and 285/75.

Went to local tire guy this AM...he was pushing me straight to the Ridge Grabber due to the 6ply C rating. He was telling me over and over any E tire will ride like a brick and I will regret it.

With proper inflation...28-34psi on a 10 Ply E tire, is there really much difference between that and a 6ply C? Is it worth the extra $300-400?

(I have the aftermarket wheels and have read how people love the Ridge Grabbers, am not anti-Ridge Grabber...wanting info on C v E rating)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Huge difference, I just dropped from and E to a D and initially I didnt even notice the tire shop had put 40psi in them compared to my D tires at 32psi. Once I dropped down to 35 the ride is so much nicer.

·
Super Moderator
22,894 Posts
funny how so many opinions on this. I have run P, C, D and E and with proper pressure they have all felt great. I have run many E rated and never have I felt like they were harsh or rough. I run 28psi and they wear perfectly and are smooth.

Reactions: Digger70

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funny how so many opinions on this. I have run P, C, D and E and with proper pressure they have all felt great. I have run many E rated and never have I felt like they were harsh or rough. I run 28psi and they wear perfectly and are smooth.

Yes...like asking the smoothest lift..so many opinions. But I couldnt find a definitive thread that totally addressed the question. And Im very interested to hear from people who have had C's and E's.

·
Super Moderator
15,623 Posts
I have D on the wife's and E on mine, no complaints about either.
My Toyo 37s are VERY heavy, but at 26 psi I don't feel like they're hard riding. I do have pretty good shocks though.... :)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I have had C, D, and E tires on jeeps. I think it really depends on the tire more so than the rating. The harshest tire I've ever had was C rated.

·
Registered
799 Posts
When weight isn't an issue I usually run E rated tires but this time around decided the extra lbs. aren't justified.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When weight isn't an issue I usually run E rated tires but this time around decided the extra lbs. aren't justified.

Weight is an issue also being a DD. 90% of time it sees pavement. So an E is not needed, no rocks or harsh trails. But the Ridge Grabbers are pretty heavy...65ish Lbs in 285/75 C rating.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I suspect, though I've never looked, that you'd have a hard time finding anything as lite as what comes stock.
It's all part of the headache, trying to hit sweet spot.

Point is the tire guy is naturally going to steer you to what he has on hand / gets the best deal on.
The place I've bought tires for 40 yrs "refused" to let me put 6py's on mine so I went down the street.
First I've seen of these Hercules tires, but they are superior to the stock mud tires in the snow conditions around here.

So far so good after 3 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback. I am actually also considering a P rated 285/70. Lighter good size to go with the 2" Rancho. (seen a couple guys here running that combo.) So many choices so many decisions!!!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sigh... another push for Ridge Grapplers, even though they are HEAVY and expensive.

Look up the specs for yourself. A "C" rated Ridge Grappler and a "E" rated Ridge Grappler have little difference in construction and weight.

P is your best bet. Less weight, less cost, better MPGs, better silica compounds for rain and snow, last longer, etc.

There is almost no real world difference at all between a LT-D and LT-E tire on a Jeep. I've run them all, just about every popular tire on the market, in all the various load ratings, and going from D to E is imperceptible. SPECS on tire weight is more important than load rating on a Jeep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmm. I assumed it was a bigger difference between the 3, good to know I can look at D/E. (Was looking at RG 285/75/17 C's)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taking into consideration all I have seen here I am torn. I will prolly go with the 285/70's....strongly considering the P-Metric due to weight. But I have noticed they have less tread depth..some 2-3 less, others more. Leaning towards the Mastercraft AXT, (P: 44/ LT:53lbs) or Nitto Terra Grabbler G2 (45/52).

Prolly should have put this much thought and research into my last marriage!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Taking into consideration all I have seen here I am torn. I will prolly go with the 285/70's....strongly considering the P-Metric due to weight. But I have noticed they have less tread depth..some 2-3 less, others more. Leaning towards the Mastercraft AXT, (P: 44/ LT:53lbs) or Nitto Terra Grabbler G2 (45/52).

Prolly should have put this much thought and research into my last marriage!!!
P-rated tires do have less tread depth than LT-rated tires, but, they also have different rubber compounds that wear better and are safer in foul weather. That's why many times you'll notice that P-rated tires will come with mileage warranties, while the same tire in a LT rating won't.

If a guy plays in the rocks and tree roots offroad on a regular basis, then it's worth it to sacrifice the weight savings in order to have stronger sidewalls and less chance of a flat. But for the average 4x4 owner, a P-rated tire offers so many benefits that it's hard to pass up.

I wish more companies would make larger tires with P-ratings. 285/70-17 is about as big as you can get with a choice of the P load rating, and that's sad. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts