Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this build going in the JK build thread as its based around a JK Unlimited frame, JK long arm suspension, JK steering, JK axle brackets, Aqualu JK truck cab conversion etc but I am a die hard CJ guy so it had to look like a CJ and it has CJ tags and is really starting to look CJ, if your interested in following it along search CJK8 in the JK build thread...

Keep in mind these shots are test fit only. Aqualu makes a few lengths of truck style boxes. This one is 54 inches I need 51 inches so the fit is tight. Also the wheel wells inside are wider than needed - those will be narrowed and of course the wheel well position and wheel cut out will change a bit to fit where the tire sits. Also its sitting a little to the drivers side due to the tire carrier post on the bumper.

That said the Teraflex JK long arm in the Jeep uses 4 inch coils and with the high hood and the high flare position I have tons of up travel room, maybe even enough to install the 44 Pitbull Rockers with no more lift! Crazy that this set up will fit 44s with 4 inches of lift.

We also tried the MCE flexible flares and the Aqualu Aluminum flares. If the box was as wide as the cab the MCE flares would be very close to covering the tires, but we are making the box about 6 inches narrower than the cab so will be going with a wider version of the Aqualu aluminum TJ flares - and cutting out the wheel opening of course to match and matching Aqualu aluminum fenders and tube flares up front.

No flares

MCE flares - not quite wide enough for this box width.

Aqualu flares - I had these same ones on my last TJ and they take a beating.

A few pictures of the box and the Omix Ada reproduction CJ tail gate I'm using.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes for sure thats how I came up with its name. CJ - JK - JK8 which was a play on a CJ8 and it will have CJ registration. My white one with the 46s was a bob tailed Scrambler and Aqualu came out with the CJ cab box combo right after I built it and I really like the truck look - but I wanted more room in the cab. The box shown on my new one is the CJ 54 inch box.

The 1/2 cab top is from Gr8tops and basically a copy of the JK8 top. Aqualu used that GR8top to design the JK cab so we didn't have to reinvent an entire roof. I've got about 16 inches in the cab behind the seats.

The cab is designed for a JK hood and grill - but I wanted the CJ front end on it - which by the way fits almost right to a JK body. I have sloped the hood and angled the grill back and pulled the grill out even with the edge of the hood - JK like.

The dash is very vintage CJ looking with a main round cluster gauge (Dakota Digital), CJ square dash lights for headlights wipers etc, CJ glove box door and CJ oh shit handle and simple three spoke steering wheel with Jeep horn button. And of course the reproduction CJ tailgate and I even have AMC Jeep reproduction emblems for the sides.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I patiently wait for my Jeep to come back home I went and visited it at Aqualu this week. The box is built but not on the Jeep yet. The wheel wells inside have been narrowed, access panels in the rear of the box for tail lights, and its a little shorter than the box that was used for test fit. The wheel wells are as narrow as possible, my rear air bumps sit slightly outside the frame so these just clear and adds some extra space in the box. Also the wheel wells were lengthened and raised up so I can fit 46 Claws for snow wheeling. here are a few teaser shots.

The box going onto my rig:

The wheel well width and length on the test fit box

The width and length on my box.

Access panels for the rear tail lights

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice build
Nice shops
Mad skills
Need I say any more?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts