Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C-JK-8 is the name I've given this project. I've built a few pretty cool rigs in my time wheeling recently I parted out this:

Before this one I had this bad boy with a 545 Ford Stroker 46s 4 wheel steer.

I have had this TJ for 8 years, its gone under an array of changes like any Jeep does but it was Pro Rock 60s, Atlas 4 speed, Ford 5.0L, Long arm front with coil overs and leaf springs n the rear. I had some serious issues with the C4 auto not holding together so I felt it was time for something new.

So this is about as JK as I think I'll ever get but I'n using as many JK parts as possible though just about everything is getting adjusted in some way. Still its going to be pretty unique with Aqualu.com first Jk 1/2 cab truck box set up.

If you want to see one of Aqaulu's 4 door JK bodies check out Modern Classic Ent web site - Jason got the first one of those.

So i'll bust the sup in a few posts as I've progressed almost to the point of the cab coming home for fitment - but it starts with a trip to the wrecking yard to fetch a Jk 4 door frame, JK fuel tank and a JK window frame. a few others pieces as well hinges wiper assembly the grill over the wipers etc were also needed. The C-J part of this rig will be the front clip which will be a CJ hood and grill - off the big white one above actually - that mod will come along shortly.

I paid $1400.00 for the frame tank and window frame with a good piece of glass - plus all the small parts I needed.

The Jk gas tank hands 3 inches below the frame rails - I'm going to fix that and raise it up so I can flat belly the frame.

Cut cut chop chop - also the stock control arm brackets and the engine mounts...

So looks little empty.

This will fill it up...

I'll post more later tonight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm a little ahead of the curve here but to give you an idea of how this is going here is the cab almost finished at Aqualu with the gr8top half cab on it. I'll have the cab home next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For suspension I wanted a long arm system and due the the GM 6.0L and huge 4L80e trans I did not want a long arm that used the cross member as a mounting point - plus I'm trying to flat belly from the engine back as much as I can.

I was at SEMA this past fall and went over the Teraflex kits and really liked the bent lower arms for better clearance another issue with long arm kits - and the same issues I had with my Rubicon Express in my TJ and part of the reason my TJ was leaf spring in the back. Also the lower links were pretty beefy with replaceable "Johnny" joint ends so I can swap them to any brand that matches the thread pitch. All the brackets get welded to the frame rails - and that was the big plus for me.

I'll have a few mods to make still - I'll be cutting off the stock track bar mounts and making them from 1/4 plate - and I won't be using Teraflex shocks or the axle bracket for the rear track bar - I just don't want to many "added" style brackets more for the clear look than any other reason.

So here is the kit and here is the welding of the brackets.

Lower links.

Upper links.

Springs and stuff.

Track bars.

Straps and brake lines.

Frame brackets.

Rear spacers for the brackets and the track bar relocation bracket - I won't be using the track bar bracket.

All the stock frame brackets had to be cut off and ground smooth. The front control arm bracket indexes off the cross member bracket. I will be cutting the rest of the control arm bracket off afterwards - just wanted it to make sure I placed the control arm bracket right.

Welded in.

The rear control arm bracket indexes off the last body mount before the axle - I will not need this body mount so I cut it off leaving a little bit of the bracket so I placed the new Tera bracket correctly.

Welded in.

Thats it for suspension till The axles show up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems I messed up this post with moving some images in photo bucket. Any reason why I can't seem to edit a post or delete a reply?

OK so Ill freshen up the missing images.

Frame and fuel tank coming home.

How the stock tank sits against the cross members.

I cut those out along with the suspension brackets and engine mounts.

I went with Novak Adapt engine mounts - they have better clearance around the exhaust and gave me the option to fit shorty headers if I want to.

Engine mounts welded in:

Suspension brackets welded in.
Rear

Front

Laying out the engine and trans - fuel tank with the wood holding it up for a flat belly.

This shows where the new trans cross member will go - quite a bit further back than the stock one.

And a shot of the cab with 1/2 cab top on it - it will be finished this week and home next week to fit over the fuel tank.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little blurry video of the cab - I won't be able to fetch till next week as I'm 3 hours away so this will have to do for now... Todd form Aqualu.com is not a video artist he's an aluminum artist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now it looks like something but keep in mind its not designed for full doors (yes one of his staff is in there holding onto the door) - they fit pretty good he says but not perfectly as the doors have far more curves than you realize - Todd makes 1/2 doors and I'll be using Bestop upper windows which I prefer anyway as I'll be making a soft top for it as well eventually. I need to pick up some JK door hinges still.

Anyone going to Moab make sure you stop in at Todd's booth I'm tagging along with him and helping him in the booth and I'll pack this back to his shop before we go. He will also have Jason from MCE's 4 door aluminum JK there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For bumpers and winch I want all Warn, a stubby up front that I might have to trip a little bit at the back corners once I fit the winter wheeling tires - but I'll wait for that part however out back the box for the JK truck will tapper from 68 behind the cab to 58 at the bumper so the ends needed to be trimmed and re worked.

The front bumper, I wanted something smooth and uncomplicated:

And a shot of it on the frame:

Out back I wanted to try and retain the tire carrier. The bumper is set up to hold the spare a little higher but still accommodate a 40 inch tire.

Started like this:

20160221_122255_resized_zpskdtmpcuz.jpg Photo by alstick | Photobucket

Then I trimmed everything off outside the tire carrier post.

After trimming and fitting/welding new end pieces in I kept the Warn W's and worked them back into the ends.

This bumper didn't come with a receiver hitch and I'll work one of those in higher than the Warn bumper that comes with a receiver does as I like to use it as a tug strap point - just stick the strap into the receiver and slide the pin in - way better than using a shackle.

A shot of the 8274-50 in its box.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting a little tied up now to get the cab home for fitment. Its so close to Moab that we will take it down for display in Aqualu's booth during the trade show then I'll bring it home - but I have gathered some more parts:

Mastercraft seats with seat heaters.

PSC JK ram assist steering - with a pump for the LS engine.

Got a Daystar body lift kit as I think I'll need to bump the cab portion up a bit to clear the lifted gas tank and I got a set of hood vents as I found adding the vents into my TJ let a ton of heat out from under the hood.

39 inch Krawlers

And yes I know these are Land Cruisers - but also made by Aqualu, they are actually right behind the picture of the cab above and served as my inspiration for the C-JK-8. One is a long box the other a short box but this is the style of box that is going on the back of mine just tapered to the back 10 inches and just over 4 feet long at about 51 inches.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pretty cool build. I'll be watching.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aqualu.com had cab #2 set up with a JK hood and grill at the shop - sorry no pictures I was in a hurry (ill get some though very soon) and it sure would be easier than my route of widening a CJ grill and hood - but then it would not be quite so unique. So next up will be cutting, welding and widening the hood and grill I still have from the very first Jeep CJ I bought back in the 90s. Its also the registration that will be going onto this rig.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone - its been nice to have the float from selling my last Jeep to make such great progress so quick on this one.

Todays escapades:
I knew there would be a couple adjustments to make to the new body. The tub was made with a flat floor and rather than try and figure out where the lifted fuel tank was going to ingress into the cab - Aqualu built the body with a flat floor and told me to cut away anything I needed to and they will weld it back up. Aluminums cuts awesome with a carbide blade on a skill saw. With a 1-inch body lift there will only be a 1-inch bump in the floor and all behind the seats. This will enable me to lift the fuel tank the full 3-inches to make a flat belly skid.

Also ran into a little clearance issue on the firewall if using stock exhaust manifolds for a LS swap. I am going to swap to Sanderson shorty headers - a header brand I've used on my past two projects. They machine the header flange so you don't need gaskets and I have never had header bolt rattle loose on them. I also had to remove 3 broken stock exhaust manifold bolts from the heads - real common problem with modern motors with aluminum heads. I just welded nuts onto the ends of the broken bolts and undid them with a ratchet. I'll get some ARP header bolts so broken bolts won't happen again.

So here is the work in pictures:

Little exhaust manifold clearance issue on the passenger side. I've given Aqualu the measurements to correct it - so future tubs will not have any problems.

This is what needs to be cut but he is just going to re shape the floor pan so its not a future issue.

So for the floor, keep in mind if your not going for the extra belly clearance I was with lifting the tank this won't be needed but at 116 inch wheelbase I want all the belly clearance I can manage.

Nothing like chopping up a brand new body but it was expected.

How the tank will sit and the floor will be fixed with a 1 inch raise where the tank is.

Lots of room around the back of the engine and in the tranny tunnel for almost any engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today was cleaning up a few left overs. I welded the receiver into the Warn bumper. I am going air bumps so I needed to cut off the rear bump stops and grind the frame clean and up front just cut the ends off the bump tubes as the air bumps slide down inside so they work inside the coils.

So for the "C-J" part of the "K-8"

I decided what the heck lets drag the CJ hood in thats been behind the shed for three years. I won't be using this one its a bit rusted and I have a new grill and hood on order with Omix Ada but I kept it as it was the hood from the first Jeep I bought - same with the grill - and the registration thats going onto this rig.

As the JK body is 5-inches wider than the CJ/YJ/TJ I full expected that I had some serious cutting fabing and widening in my future - but damn if it doesn't almost fit perfectly. This hood was made into a "high hood" years ago so the sides are already cut. There is a bit to much bulge in the CJ hood where it meets the tub in the middle but I can just press that out - and the corners where it meets the tub is a slightly different curve but otherwise pretty close. The CJ hood does tapper more to the front - but I think I can just leave it and keep the grill stock width. Its starting to look like something!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
:jawdrop: :worthy:

I can't wait to see what's next, its like the Walking Dead!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts