Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've searched the JK forums and anyone else who's asked similar issue hasn't received a correct answer as far as I can tell, so apologies if this is a repost.

The other week another driver impacted my front passenger wheel which meant I had to replace the steering box after it started leaking fluid. Since then I have been getting constant ESP BAS and Traction Control warnings, which return after I clear them.

Usually this is because the steering wheel isn't straight, however my steering wheel is dead straight as far as I can tell and she's not pulling either way when on the highway.

I get C1219 (C1219 Steering Angle Sensor Erratic Performance) and C1240 (C1240 Steering Angle Sensor Overtravel Performance) warnings on my BlueDriver when I scan, which come back along with the dash lights after clearing them when I steer hard right (but not when I steer hard left).
Similar posts for the same issue seem to blame a faulty steering angle sensor in the clockspring, but I had already recently replaced the clockspring (beginning of the year to fix an airbag light issue) and had no warning lights from then up to the recent impact. All wheel speed sensors seem OK to me as well and no other related codes show up on scanning.

Any thoughts or do I need to replace the clockspring yet again? :banghead:

This is for an '09 JKU Sport.

TIA

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
My guess is you installed the steering box and it wasn't at the same position as the old one that you pulled off. So when the new steering box is pointed straight, the clock spring/wheel position is not straight.

I'd look at a scan tool data and see what the angle is with full left, full right and straight. Then compare to a known good. I can't recite to you what the data would be but I'd be happy to plug in a scan tool to my '14 and tell you what the readings are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts