Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to redo my build thread because photobucket's new money grabbing scheme ruined my old thread. I would ask that nobody posts to this thread until I have caught back up to speed. There will be gaps that I cannot fill do to losing pictures over the years which is unavoidable.

Reactions: Cornchip

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The day I first got my Jeep, it barely ran because the carburetor needed a rebuild, the gas tank was cracked and had to be replaced, and there was a lot wrong that I lost pictures of.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After taking care of the gas tank and getting it to pass smog with a rebuilt stock carb, I started modding the engine with a motorcraft 2100 carburetor and the team rush distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil upgrade along with a better GM Ignition control module. This setup as poorly as I executed it ran great until I moved to Nevada and finished cleaning up all unnecessary smog stuff and put in an HEI distributor.
Team Rush Upgrade

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next order of business was when I swapped my Pukey BA10/5 out for an ax15, don't have the pictures of that but have the pictures of the SYE I installed at the same time...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then got to actually enjoy my jeep with a local club since I had a lunch box locker and was ready to go, or so I thought... I ended up breaking my first dana 35 by bending the housing somehow (was actually 3 days later I noticed because of oil seeping from the tubes) and spit out a front driveshaft....

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After this was a huge gap I don't have pictures for even though I was wheeling every weekend. I got another YJ dana 35 free from a club member and broke it the 2nd time out and since it was a later 35 the entire wheel/tire/drum and shaft came out. Bought a Rubicon TJ axle set and NP241OR from a club member and used the front D44 and NP241or in an XJ I had at the time since the front axle was a bolt in replacement for the bent XJ dana 30 and I installed the rear 44 in my YJ only to have it break sometime after as well with me deciding on the 8.8 route.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To match the 8.8 4.10 gearing, I found a 4 banger YJ front dana 30 dropout and brought it home. Upon opening it, I discovered it was actually a 4.56 geared dana 30 from factory according to the service tag and ring gear 41 and 9 stamped on it. Had to gear the 8.8 to match and then swap... Sorry for the lack of pictures...

8.8 4.10 vs 4.56 pinion

Dana 30 with 9 tooth 4.56 pinion...

Dana 30 swap after the rear 8.8 was completed

And of course testing the new combo on the front yard boulder

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some more missing pictures from this time after were my ax15 external slave swap, real lockers and GM TBI injection for the 4.2L. I do have pictures of the NP231 wide chain/6 pinion planetary swap.

6 vs 3 pinion

Wide chain sprocket

Front output shaft

The chain

The entire ensemble

Old gear cut (flat faces) vs new gear cut (sharper).

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some time after this I was getting fed up with the ax15's terrible crawling gear ratio. I did a manual shift AW4 swap that I used a Radesigns shifter for. I also installed an electric speedo and JB conversions standard Jeep SSYE. Unfortunately there is no pictures for this entire setup...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soon after 2 bad things happened that kind of made me done with the Jeep thing for a few years. My brother rolled his XJ when we were coming home from a trip and a few weeks later my engine threw a rod when I was playing with a nitrous bottle....

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then came my 2 year long v8 swap.

JB conversions short 700r4 to NP231 adapter

back from the machine shop

Assembled and painted on M.O.R.E. sbc motor mounts

Accessory package

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided on a column shifter for the automatic and pulled a 1992 s10 blazer column. 700r4 rebuilt and in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then came some wiring so here are a few useful things for others.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few missing gaps here are me adding an intank fuel pump, 3/8 fuel line from tank to throttle body, looming the wires, getting exhaust and too many small odds and ends to name. The problematic lokar column shift kit and the 700r4 bizarre shift points also made me move towards a 4l60e so I prepped for that.

1994 K-case s10 4L60E found then traded a case of beer for it.

Newer PCM to run newer trans and engine

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now finally to where I currently am. I am in the process of the 4L60E swap.

Disassembled it in my shed...

Only problems with it were a worn separator plate and bad 1-2 accumulator housing from a broken spring.

Stuck check ball

Old plate overlaid on new plate to show size of hole

Accumulator housing

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took everything to my buddies shop for cleaning, getting parts and reassembling.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found out the Jags that run reluctor would not work on the JB conversions adapter shaft and had to rethink strategy.

Went with another JB conversions product and got their GM Vss SSYE kit.

The new combo ready for the jeep.

And also the added bonus of getting reverse lights again and a proper neutral safety switch all in one.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a good intermission until I get more pictures of the current 4L60E swap, I will add a list of forgotten mods I did that I forgot to add as they came up.

1. 1 piece passenger axle shaft swap
2. Crossover Heim Steering
3. Swapped out the rancho lift kit I got it with for a rough country one
4. swapped out the rough country for a BDS which was night and day better.
5. Dual Diaphragm brake booster swap
6. Rocker Guards which I believe concludes the missing mods

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the combo in the Jeep this past weekend, So with the 4L60E and GM VSS SSYE, I had to put in an electric speedometer again(VDO 437-151). I also managed to put in an Ididit shift indicator for when a certain unnamed women has to move my jeep and somehow hasn't memorized automatic shift patterns in her years of driving only automatics....

Modified the Lokar cable shifter to work with the longer 4L60E shaft

So all I have left is some electrical work and to have my rear driveshaft lengthened again...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts