Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took advantage of the 4wd sale and bought a Bestop cab cover for my TJ.
I figured it would ease the everyday up and down wear on my soft top of putting the top down in the morning, and up in the evenings.
Now what I expected to get for $125.00 was a light weight tarp type of cover. And that's Ok, that's what I was wanting anyway.
However
What I got,,,rates right up there with a good quality full soft top. As far as quality goes.
Now I am very happy with my purchase, damn man,,, it's a Great deal! But,,, now I find that it is too big and heavy to just fold up and store in the back of the TJ.
I'm looking for an answer to my dilemma.
So how do you store cab cover when it's not on your jeep?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would think it would fit--my Softopper rolls up and stores behind the seat. It can't be much bigger than that.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I went through the same thing several years ago and finally found a light weight one that stowed in a bag.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think it would fit--my Softopper rolls up and stores behind the seat. It can't be much bigger than that.
Well I thought it would be a easy thing to do the same as you mention. But not so.
Here is what I have. See that cute little bag,,it came in that. As heavy as it is it would take some effort( more than what I want to do every morning) to get the top back in that bag. I guess I'll just toss it into the cab of my truck when I take it off on mornings, untill I figure out a better way to short term store it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow. No way it's jumping back in that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had one of these, and had the same problem. Eventually it was just a nuisance and wound up not ever making it out of the garage.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I have an older one. They are thick. Never been back in the bag since the first use.
I took it with me, once, and stuffed on the floor behind a seat.
Now, I just use it overnight when camping. It stays in camp.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I bought a gear bag for cheap at Big 5. I just roll it up, stuff it in the bag and throw it behind the seat. Takes all of a few minutes. Did that all through last summer without an issue. Wrinkled some but doesn't affect it any.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Ive got one too that came with my jeep, older model and very thick. I took it out of the bag once to see what the heck it was and never got it back in! Its in my garage somewhere halfway shoved into the bag. Ill use it this year with the random afternoon thunderstorms

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got the same issue with that bulky Bestop cover. I just fold it down like the factory top, then fold that in half and stuff it between my subwoofer and back seat. It's not pretty or convenient, but it works.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've had the same one for years. I use it regularly throughout topless season to cover up during passing thunderstorms when I'm out somewhere. I forgot it even came with a bag.

When I take it off, I lay it out flat, fold it in thirds sort of (with the inside in), roll it up as tight as I can and stuff it behind the passenger seat. It really doesn't take up that much space, and if I knew what happened to my bag, I'm sure I could make it fit. I think maybe they "break in" and become a little more flexible over time and with use.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh, and if it rains hard, water will likely pool above the cab area- at least it does on mine. I just get in one side or the other with the cover still on, and push up in the center and out with both hands to dump the water off. You'll definitely want to do this before you remove the cover, or you'll soak the interior.

Or, if you have someone standing next to the Jeep that you'd like to soak, with a little practice you can direct the water accordingly. Push up hard with one hand and the other forearm on the opposite side of them and quickly "sweep" the puddle towards the desired side. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not to start a fight, what about just using a tarp as a quicky solution? I have one folded up in a gear box I keep with me for other purposes but it has tie down holes and In the case of a quick rain storm, it is a lot cheaper.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I have the same Bestop cover - Did you take note of how it was folded up when you got it?
Lay it out and fold it up properly.
I fit it back in the bag every time with room to spare.

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
I have the same cover but never wanted to carry it with me in the Jeep....just take it off in the morning & put it back on at night. I don't have the patience to fold up to where it would fit back in the bag, so I just fold it the best I can and store it in a 2' cube sized Rubbermaid container with a sealed top. Good luck!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to start a fight, what about just using a tarp as a quicky solution? I have one folded up in a gear box I keep with me for other purposes but it has tie down holes and In the case of a quick rain storm, it is a lot cheaper.
Actually I thought of a tarp. But I liked the close fit of the cab cover. To keep the feral neighborhood cats out. So I got the cab cover

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the same cover but never wanted to carry it with me in the Jeep....just take it off in the morning & put it back on at night. I don't have the patience to fold up to where it would fit back in the bag, so I just fold it the best I can and store it in a 2' cube sized Rubbermaid container with a sealed top. Good luck!
Ok this is where I'm at. ^^^^^^ except I toss it in my truck.

It doesn't have to keep rain out. I'll put the top up for that since I'll need to drive in the rain.

I never dreamed this cab cover would be so heavy and bulky. Oh well it's great quality.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the same Bestop cover - Did you take note of how it was folded up when you got it?
Naw, I just took it outta the bag and flung it on the TJ. I wanted something quick and easy. Not something that took brain power.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naw, I just took it outta the bag and flung it on the TJ. I wanted something quick and easy. Not something that took brain power. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts