Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the people with a toggle for the turning on/off of your winch to reduce risk of battery use, what materials did you find useful to buy for the wiring? How about a diagram/images/YouTube links to show the process?.. I usually google the crap out of it and desire a plan but can't seem to wrap my head around right or wrong with this. And I don't trust my ingenuity when it comes to wiring so I need you guys to help me out a bit so I don't end up stuck in the mud AND burning my Jeep down. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The solenoid that comes with the winch wouldn't be enough? What gauge wire should I run from the switch and where should the power-out line go to to complete the circuit to the winch? I'm going to try and put a diagram of my understanding on a paper and I will post it and you guys can let me know where I'm wrong because I feel like I am missing the concept still. It will be a few minutes but I'll post it up in a sec

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It's pretty simple to do, but its not going to "reduce risk of battery use". You can put switches on your control wires, not the power wire. Its just not an issue worth worrying about. Putting a relay on the actual power wire for a winch would be ridiculous, winches can pull 130+ amps. The relay would be as big as your head.

I set mine up with a SPDT master on switch, and a DPDT in/out switch. There are 3 (usually) terminals inside your solenoid box, In, Ground, and Out. You complete the circuit from in or out to ground, and the winch moves. If you make your connections correctly, you can still use the hand held control as well.

I am afraid I might be missing the whole question. What do you have? Why not just install it according to the instructions that came with it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am in the process of doing just this. I am wiring up 4 switches I ordered from OTRATTW. For me, I need to be able to visualize the task at hand. For this type of thing, I like to draw up a schematic and work from that. I used 16/3 wire to connect from the solenoid to the switches and 16 gauge wire to make all the jumps. I ordered the wire from West Marine.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here is what I drew up. For some reason, it's upside down. Hmmm

Attachments

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
I used a HD waterproof relay, Check Western Marine. and wired it so the switch in the cab only completes the ground to activate the relay. the only high Amps is through the relay's load sides.........the switch to run the winch in-out is cool and all but I try to keep things K.I.S.S. simple for back in the boonies, easy to repair.....

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I guess I'm just old school. If I need my winch, I've got to get out and do the rigging. Open hood, turn on main power to winch, plug in control or use the wireless one. That switch has a 350 amp continuous rating. When it's off, there is absolutely no power at the winch. KISS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I guess I'm just old school. If I need my winch, I've got to get out and do the rigging. Open hood, turn on main power to winch, plug in control or use the wireless one. That switch has a 350 amp continuous rating. When it's off, there is absolutely no power at the winch. KISS
I really like this idea. Keep it off unless needed just in case something crosses and the winch gets a mind of it's own to start up and burn itself up. Or if you are using it and it won't shut off you can use this to shut it off fairly quickly. A great safety measure. What about using one of these on the batter connection itself?

http://www.amazon.com/Side-Battery-...61786&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+shut+off+switch

It says tested to exceed 200 amps, but it's solid steel, it should handle A LOT more than that...

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
The solenoid that comes with the winch wouldn't be enough?
It's not safe to wire a winch direct to battery. In the event of a small front accident, the winch positive can be forced to contact ground, causing a fire.

Using a contactor (big relay) on the positive cable breaks the direct connection and make the winch safe. The contactor needs a way to electrically close for winch use, therefore another switch inside the jeep.

Putting a relay on the actual power wire for a winch would be ridiculous, winches can pull 130+ amps. The relay would be as big as your head.
As previously posted, Warn make a power interupt. The "relay" isn't as big as your head.

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-62132-Power-Interrupt-Kit/dp/B000CQFVN8

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts