Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Wrangler enthusiasts!

I recently upgraded from my 1997 Tj with the 2.5L to a 2007 JKU Sahara with 45,000 mi. It is great to get into the next generation wrangler. I will miss the TJ forever but this is starting a new chapter. I will use this thread to document all my mods and things being done to her as I go. Going into this project I wanted to do a complete build from the start as opposed to doing thing by thing.

I finalized and paid my initial order today on parts and should be receiving them all next week!!. I am in High School but I would like to make it very clear that everything you see in this thread including the jeep itself was 100% paid for by me. My parents have had no help financially to me so I would really appreciate not catching heat from people who assume. I am very fortunate for the excellent job I have as a senior in high school. (I have money put away for school too :-!) )

As of right now this is what I'll be expecting next week
SkyJacker 4" lift kit in Race Red
Smittybilt M.O.D. front bumper with the full size sides and fog lights with the stinger bar on top
Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with tire carrier
Smittybilt rockrail/sidesteps
Bushwacker front and rear pocket style fender flares
Smittybilt 10,000lb wireless winch
Procomp 50" LED light bar
Rock light bar mount
Rigid industry 2.5x2.5 spot light pair for bumper
Procomp 17" Alloy rims
Good Year wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.50r17
Weather tech front and rear mats in black
Daystar off-road light switch system
Air raid cold air intake
Locking hood latch and gas cap

Thanks for all the support! I'll be doing all the work with a good buddy of mine in the next couple of weeks and will keep everyone posted!

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I hope you enjoy that thread! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Successfully have the front fender flares, rear bumper, rock rails and front bumper mounted! Just have some little stuff to tie them all up. The full size end caps, lift and lights will all be this weeks build! As I did months of research before purchasing my jeep and the parts it is great to see it all come together. It still amazes me that everyone's jeep look so much different but they are all cool in there own unique way.

The rock rails are probably my favorite mod so far. They look great and the install was a breeze. They retain a step of some kind which is nice especially when I have passengers. Even though the smittybilt products are all Chinese the quality seems very good. All the holes and hardware worked perfectly with no modifications.

The rear bumper. Once again looks and operates flawlessly. The install took a little bit more time and the directions were not the best by any means. With mechanical ability and a 2nd set of eyes we mounted this up in about a hour and a half. Some of the angles to mount bolts was a bit tricky but past that very straight forward. I like how it came with two choices of handles. The textured black powder coat is beautiful on this. The only flaw I see is that it wants you to reuse the factory 3rd tail light and wiring(big plus) except the fact that the wiring is so short that when you go to open the tire carrier you have to then open the door with it. I am going to cut the factory wire and splice in a chunk to feed through the tailgate and out in a pulley type system, so as you open it more will come out and as you put it back it will start to self rewind.

Front Bushwacker fender flares. Directions were absolutely terrible. Pictures looked nothing like the actual product. The install took longer than expected being that you had to cut and modify the factory mounts. It wasn't that big of a job but there was a lot of tedious activity involved in it. There packaging for hardware and separation was very good and made life easier. After doing the first side the second was much easier. I feel like stress would have been avoided with a good install video or instruction sheet. The product itself is sturdy and looks excellent. It is just what I wanted as far as looks go on my jeep!

Front MOD bumper. The center piece is of a high quality. Good finish and good hardware, this mounted up very easy and worked flawless with my new XRC 10,000LB winch. Only required a few new holes be drilled. Only difficulties were properly mounting the stinger, a couple hoes don't line up perfect. The end caps are nice and seem like they should be rather straight forward to mount. Only thing is it said it came with new fog lights because the factory won't fit but it didn't include them and I need to do some more research on that.

Thanks for reading. I will take more detailed pictures with the lift and the rest of my mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was another late night putting on the full length end caps on the front bumper. These things did not want to mount up very easy and they fought me every step of the way. The holes didn't like up like they should have and it's tough with only one guy. Eventually I got it done and here we are! I cut the harness off the factory fog wires to splice in there opposed to running a new switch through the firewall. I will be running wire through the firewall anyways for my light bar and spoilers but I thought for this application this would work better.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the front lift in and complete today! It's a 4" skyjacker! Got to spend the day with my grandfather over at his place! Good way to spend some time and learn a few things from a seasoned jeep vet!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did you lift consist of? Control arms , roll gravity correction bracket etc. I'm thinking about getting a 2.5" or 3" lift but trying to figure out if I need the control arms and such. Thanks, jeep looks good btw

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did you lift consist of? Control arms , roll gravity correction bracket etc. I'm thinking about getting a 2.5" or 3" lift but trying to figure out if I need the control arms and such. Thanks, jeep looks good btw
It consisted of control arms, springs, shocks, brake line drop, new front track bar, relocation track bar bracket for the rear, new sway bar links(front and rear), quick disconnects and brace brackets.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts